Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky recipes

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whisky recipes

Postby zarb » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:59 pm

Please post them here! The only ones I've tried so far have been peppercorn sauce for steak and barbecue sauce, there must be many others, plus I need to use up certain whiskies I get for christmas every year ;)
zarb

Postby kallaskander » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:22 am

kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Zarb,
Hope you are well
Just curious as to which whiskies you seem to get every Christmas that are only fit for cooking with?
Does anyone alse regularly receive a poor selection as gifts?
What makes a good drinker or a good cooker?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:48 pm

I suspect the problem is that everyone knows she likes whisky, so everyone gives her a bottle at Christmas, and she has more than she can drink--a terrible problem--and feels it necessary to consume it all in order to justify next year's gifts. Sort of like local council being sure to use their entire budget so they'll get the same amount next year. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby zarb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:56 am

Hehehe... no, I get given sets of whisky miniatures, and in those sets there are good and bad whiskies. The last one I got had some weird stuff with a stereotypical Scotch whisky name and "distilled in France" on the back, it tasted like paintstripper so I used that one for cooking.
zarb

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 am

Hmmm...I suspect it would be cheaper to use real paint thinner...or maybe not.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:29 am

Hi there,

cheaper yes but the flavours tend to be a little harsh. :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:12 am

Going the other direction, I've seen some spirits that are more economical and more effective than the paint stripper I buy at the hardware store.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:28 pm

This is a very quick whisky sauce recipe I use - it's great with haggis (vegetarian, or meat haggis)…

1) Melt a blob of butter gently
2) Add a swoosh of double cream, heating gently
3) 1 minute before it’s ready to serve, add a tablespoon of malt (Laphroaig is great for this, or mix a hefty peaty malt with something milder that you want using up. If you're trying to get rid of poor whisky, just chuck in whatever you've got)

Quantities: If you like it saltier use more butter, if you like it creamier, use more cream! If you’ve used too much malt, cook it for longer and the whisky flavour becomes milder. Don't overheat when mixing butter & cream or it'll split.

This is also a good sauce to use with prawns. Prawns with peated whisky sauce. Mmmmm :) Cook prawns until just pink (not too long or they go rubbery) Drizzle over same sauce as above, sprinkle on a few chopped chives. Eat with salad & a good crusty bread. Or maybe substitute prawns with monkfish – not tried it with monkfish yet but I reckons it'd be good combination :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:50 pm

I made this a couple of days ago: Mashed apples/compot with cinnamon and lightly whipped cream. I sprinkled the cream with a little Smokehaed while I was whipping and it eventually turned out quite good. A nice desert.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:10 am

Ooh, here’s another quickie, best with unpeated whisky

1) Fry some good strong-flavoured mushrooms (wild mushrooms, or chestnut mushrooms) with salt & a bit of cracked black pepper.
2) A couple minutes before it’s ready add a tbspoon whisky (and if you want to, add a little fresh chopped herbs such as thyme or chives)
3) Cut a garlic glove in half, and wipe over some lightly toasted ciabatta
Pour mushrooms over ciabatta

yum :D
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Laurentius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi there,

A good measure of whisky in a my napolitana sauce for pasts - brings out the flavor of the tomatoes! But now that i have told you i would have to kill you - its the secret of my M-I-L - she had a scotish mother and and italian father - go figure!

Also like a dram with cream over my oats - but this treat reserved for a cold morning with an early T-off only!

Thanks for the other ideas - i am keen to try these out.
Laurentius

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Just back from a short rest in the sun.

While there I had Fresh shrimp in a Fresh Tomatoe sauce with onion, lots of garlic, a good dose of lemon I'd say and whisky. The Whisky did not overly feature but it was really nice.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re:

Postby nighatwasim88 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 am

Deactivated Member wrote:Hmmm...I suspect it would be cheaper to use real paint thinner...or maybe not.

yeah it would be i am totally agree with you. :iwbrnt: :coffee:
nighatwasim88

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder