Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

hakushu 10 (suntory)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

hakushu 10 (suntory)

Postby smokey » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:38 am

Nose: menthol, vanilla, and butter

Taste: The butter flavor really leads the way. It was surprising, as i had never detected this flavor so strongly in a whisky before. This was combined with menthol, linseed oil, and a hint of vanilla. It was very smooth.

I think this is a well balanced whisky, and I'll be adding it to my rotation. It kind of reminded me of Green Spot, but with a much fuller body. I don't really like to give points, but i would rank this quite high.
smokey

Postby Badmonkey » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Nice. Have you added any local blends to your rotation this year? I understand the Nikka Pure Black is pure gold.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby smokey » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:50 pm

No, I have pretty much been stocking up on the whiskies i like that i fear i wont be able to find in Florida for a reasonable price. I'll be moving back to the states in a year or two, and the last time i was there i was appalled at the selection available.

That said, there are some interesting whiskies i'll be checking out soon. There is a line by ...i think nikka (ichiko?) ... that is based on cards. like 9 of diamonds... king of clubs... that sort of thing. It just feels right, as my ability to purchase whisky is directly dependent upon my ability to win cash at the poker table, and i'm a big fan of Nikka's 10. I will try the pure black...no reason to limit myself to single malts and will post tasting notes afterwards.

Stay up badmonkey...and let me know if you'll be in the area in the next year or two. I'll have to have you come over and sample some of the whiskies i like you have yet to try...( waiting for the right time to check out the ardbeg 11 from cadenhead) or we could even do shochu/ nihonshu.
smokey

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:58 pm

Well, I'll be passing through Tokyo in about 6 weeks, so we should try to arrange a trip to our preferred shop in Shibuya or an evening at Helmsdale. I'll be bringing a notebook to keep track over the course of my vacation and will be in need of several second opinions.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Ed » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 am

I haven't had any of the Hakushu expressions.

Did you ever try the Pure Malt Black Label? It's a big favorite of mine.

Ed
Ed
Silver Member

pure black

Postby smokey » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:37 am

Yes, after Badmonkey suggested it, i found the pure black and picked up a bottle. It's really reasonable at around $12 for the 500ml bottle and it is quite good. I guess it's a mix of nikka and a highland malt. I wish i knew which one. I can't seem to find the pure red, which is like pure black, only vatted with a lowland.

Headed back to Florida tomorrow, and I'm taking the pure black, hakushu 10, and yoichi 10. I don't like the restrictions the airline placed. 5 litres per person. I wish whisky mag memebers could get some kind of waiver. I'm curious what others do coming back from Scotland. I mean, it seems if you go someplace far and the purpose of travel has something to do with whisky, with such a restriction, one can't really take full advantage by purchasing all the whiskies unavailable at home. Next time I'll check the airlines policy before I buy my ticket, because U.S. cutsoms has no limit on the quantity as long as it is declared.
smokey

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Which airline is that? That's a good heads-up, smokey, I never thought of airline restrictions. I don't know what I'd do if they told me at Glasgow to dump a litre or so. I brought home 5.7 litres this year. And flying NW/KLM and changing planes in Amsterdam, I'm subject to KLM regs on one leg, and NW on another. I've already found out they aren't necessarily the same.
Deactivated Member

Postby smokey » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Hi Mr. TattieHeid. Actually, I'm flying NW :evil:

They take their inspections pretty seriously at Narita, so I'm not going to try and add any. Just the thought of having to choose...well...if Sophia had a difficult one I think mine would be just as rough. The stated limit on their site is 5 litres per person.

My wife is joining me a week later however, and though she won't take 5litres for me because of the weight, she told me she will bring another 3 or 4 bottles. :D
smokey

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Well...I probably actually squeaked my 5.7 litres through because I checked my luggage with KLM in Glasgow, and NW accepted whatever KLM had already passed. The problem I ran into was that I had some empty bottles in my carry-on. KLM looked at them but let them through; NW wouldn't let them on the plane, no way, no how. Empty bottles. I'm all for security, but I think they are being pretty silly sometimes--they do stuff just so it will look like they're doing something.

But the 5-litre limit is good to know--I certainly don't want to leave a Valinch at the airport. I guess I could open it, slug down what I could, and pass it around...don't think they'd like that, either!
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:25 am

Thanks for the head's up, Smokey. I'll be in Tokyo in 3 weeks before flying over to Seoul, and I hadn't given any thought to airline restrictions. Not sure how many bottles to bring back this time, because I'm clearing Canada Customs in Vancouver instead of Alberta, thus subjecting me to higher tariffs.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:43 am

I looked at NorthWest's website and found the 5-litre limit. I also had a glance at BritishAirways, Icelandair,and AirCanada, and could not find any such limits. Worth asking when you book, I guess.
Deactivated Member

Postby bg4cgt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:44 am

be a single malt whisky, it is good enough to be a daily drink:)
I remember that was around 3000 an in tokyo.

I miss it so much!
bg4cgt

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:18 am

Just one of the many downsides of being shanghaied, I guess!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Hello All,

I had always assumed that the limit was on how much you could bring in without paying duty. I didn't know that the airlines wouldn't let you bring more than that on. I brought 6.75 liters of bourbon and rye in November. There were two people flying so there were two luggage allotments. However, one of them was my three year old son. It didn't seem to bother anyone. I filled out all the forms correctly.

I had a brief moment of panic when I changed to a domestic carrier and they told me that I couldn't check whiskey at all. How was I going to lug nine bottles on the plane, especially since I couldn't carry any liquids? It all worked out. What they meant was that they wanted to take all the whiskey out of my checked bags and repack it in a special box. I would then have to pick it up separately from my checked bags.

Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Re: pure black

Postby Ed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:30 pm

smokey wrote:Yes, after Badmonkey suggested it, i found the pure black and picked up a bottle. It's really reasonable at around $12 for the 500ml bottle and it is quite good. I guess it's a mix of nikka and a highland malt. I wish i knew which one. I can't seem to find the pure red, which is like pure black, only vatted with a lowland.

Headed back to Florida tomorrow, and I'm taking the pure black, hakushu 10, and yoichi 10.

Hello Smokey,

Glad to hear you like it. Too bad you couldn't find the Red Label. It is nice. The Black is much better in my opinion. There is also a White label that is tastes like an Islay. I wish I knew what Scottish malts were going in to these pure malts. Someone on the forum told me that the Black Label had some malt in it that had been aged in new charred oak barrels.

Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Ed wrote:Hello All,

I had always assumed that the limit was on how much you could bring in without paying duty. I didn't know that the airlines wouldn't let you bring more than that on.

Again, as far as we know at the moment, the 5-litre limit is NorthWest Airlines policy. Perhaps others here could check on their airlines' policies and report. As noted above, I was unable to find any such limits on BritishAirways, Icelandair, and AirCanada. Just had a quick look at Aer Lingus and see nothing there, either.

I think I'll go Icelandair next year. Bummer, I can use the NorthWest miles.
Deactivated Member

hakushu 12

Postby smokey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:35 pm

Hey Badmonkey...or anyone else going through Narita... make sure you check out one of the duty free shops. They have Hakushu 12 for 4,000 something yen. It's cheaper than shinanonya or kawachi...(the one in shibuya) Actually, it's the cheepest i've ever seen, as it is usually just under 7,000

have a good one.
smokey

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder