Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 16yo 'Airigh Nam Beist'

General chat and talk about whisky.

Ardbeg 16yo 'Airigh Nam Beist'

Postby Whiskana » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:00 pm

Seems to available, at least in UK, a week from now...

RMW declares "Ready for despatch from Friday 29th September" for £44.

Not a bad price but I think I'll wait a few weeks and buy it from a German dealer for 20% or so cheaper (including postage).
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:18 pm

This sounds interesting. I have not found an Ardbeg yet that I can say that I truly love but then again I have not had any of the older ones :shock: but could not afford to drink them on a regular basis anyway. However this sounds like it may be one to investigate.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:27 pm

I think this one will find its way to Norway eventually. Very interesting - I hope it'll be better than the 17 which I find a little disappointing.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:50 pm

This is the one I tried at whiskyfringe. It is quite excellent and not at all like the 17yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:54 pm

That's great to know - I also take pleasure in seing the proof isn't too high and hence not overfeeding the tax hungry norwegian authoroties.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Re: Ardbeg 16yo 'Airigh Nam Beist'

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:25 pm

Whiskana wrote:Seems to available, at least in UK, a week from now...

Not a bad price but I think I'll wait a few weeks and buy it from a German dealer for 20% or so cheaper (including postage).

What German dealer would you recommend??
I'll be in Hamburg the first days of October and wonder about specialty whisky shops and bars?? Where might I find this bottling there??
Thanks!
Di Blasi

Postby kildalton » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 am

In Hamburg I'll suggest this one :

http://www.weinquelle.com

It looks good
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Whiskana » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:21 am

kildalton wrote:In Hamburg I'll suggest this one :

http://www.weinquelle.com

It looks good

I ordered some whiskies from them recently; good web shop and reasonable prices for the bottles I bought. I recall the postage was 20€ for 4 bottles...not a bad choice overall.
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks kildalton and Whiskana!
Do they have a shop to visit, or just an online webshop?? Oh, never mind, they have a shop, (looking at their site now!) Thanks again!
Any other suggestions for whisky shops or bars to enjoy???
Di Blasi

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:05 am

Anyone know if this has made it across the pond yet?
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:39 am

It isn't anywhere yet:

Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:It isn't anywhere yet:

I might want to read the fine print.... :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Without touching much the speculations about the new release and its flavours, I must say I find it interesting to see so many different opinions about various Ardbeg releases.

Personally I have found each of the releases very good, if not excellent.

The 10yo is a strong, youthful but not very refined nor subtle version. Especially the original 10yo when it just had come out was a smoky, peaty, 'in-yer-face' Ardbeg, latter ones seemed a bit more tame? When I visited the distillery in 2001, I was informed that some very old Ardbeg, up to 26 years, was used in the vatting when creating this beast. As such the change in flavour with the latter bottlings of this seem logical and follow a certain pattern with Ardbeg: First releases are knockouts, from there on less so.

The 17yo which I know many of my colleagues to have enjoyed enormously, more so than the 10yo, was a dram much more subtle, balanced, and 'soft' in its approach. This version contained some of the Kildalton, I believe, in it. It was quite a sophisticated malt, and as such won fans amongst those who did not perhaps enjoy so much the direct attack of the 10yo. Interestingly I was told in 2001 that the oldest whisky to go in this was 23 years, thus younger than the eldest that went into the 10.

Lord of the Isles, at 25 years, is another good example of the subtle, refined and complex style of Ardbeg. This one has to me very pleasant finesse, and does still deliver the clamor of arms at the end especially.

The 1977 was a powerhouse of peat and smoke and all things Ardbeg. Astonishingly youthfull, it was chosen as whisky of the year in 2001 by Whisky Magazine readers. Amazing dram.

The 1975 was perhaps even better in its balance and aroma.

The 1978 I have not tasted.

The Uigeadail, it seems, has also changed quite a bit during its existence. RMW notes this on their website as well, stating how current release contains more fino- sherry dryness as opposed to the original Uigeadail releases' fantastic (Oloroso?) richness.

So much Ardbeg. In my opinion, great whisky. I do wish that they would maintain the consistency in flavour better - or name the whiskies different once consistency is no longer possible to maintain. It seems a tad unfair now if someone buys Uigeadail, and gets a completely different dram than what Mr. Smith did a year before.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:26 pm

I want this now. I cannot wait ....Image
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:40 pm

bamber wrote:I cannot wait

You probably can
Deactivated Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:41 pm

bamber wrote:I want this now. I cannot wait ....Image

Me too!

Fortunately there is some tasting notes available on Whiskyfun.com...to pass the time.
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:44 pm

I read them and it just got me thirstier :D I also phoned RMW and asked if I could go in and pick up a bottle, but he said they would not have it by weekend :evil:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:20 pm

The bottling is very good - and for my money far more complex and balanced than the 10 because it doesn't rely on excessive peating - but it isn't a life changing experience.

My notes:

N: medium peat, bacon, brine
T: smooth, sweet, dry peat fires, dried fruit and oranges, really complex, very slightly minty
F: sweet, lightly smoky, chocolate, drying salt, spices and herbs, more dried fruit
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Cheers Nick. I guess it's one of those we'll all try in the end, so it's a good one to get as we'll all have an opinion on it.

I've just started getting back into peaty Scotch lately, so this one is doubley interesting.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Nick Brown wrote:The bottling is very good - and for my money far more complex and balanced than the 10 because it doesn't rely on excessive peating....

The peat monsters are in a way like the superhopped IPAs common in the US; some of us love them, but many cannot get past the smoke/bitterness and taste the underlying body of malt. There's no right or wrong; it's individual taste. In the case of the beer, I've often wondered whether one becomes acclimated to the bitterness, or is perhaps less sensitive to it in the first place (there was a thread a while ago about how this changes as you age). In both cases, people talk about the drink being "well balanced" or "out of balance", but that is a matter of point-of-view; and in any case, I can appreciate (sympathize with?) a good deal of eccentricity, as long as we're not talking about the wheels on the bus.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 pm

I don't hate peated whiskies - I just think there are too many peated whiskies that don't have much to offer other than the peat. Unfortunately, I can see below the peat and it isn't always pretty. Its as though some distillers think they can use a wide cut and substandard barrels, and nobody will notice because of the peat.

Ardbeg 10 is actually pretty good, albeit a little one-dimensional. Some of the younger Ardbegs leave a little to be desired. I'm working my way through a SMWS 6yo at home which started out splendid but now just tastes hot and dry with a sherry and bacon veneer.

Laphroaig 30yo is a peat moster with plenty in the tank. It is smooth and has a fruity malty depth to counterbalance the smoke. Some of the older Ardbegs (e.g. 1977) also seem to have layers of complexity below the peat that are worth their weight in gold. But I thought the Kildalton was a revelation becasue it showed just how good 1980 Ardbeg could be without the peat. The Airigh nam Bèist is peaty but doesn't try to break peating records - instead, it relies on a huge range of flavours including fruit (despite what whiskyfun says), herbs and chocolate.

BTW - I grew up drinking incredibly hoppy beers from Fremlins, Shepherd Neame and Harveys. I like hoppy beers and I think people tend to retain a soft spot for the tastes of their youth - but hopefully their tastes continue to grow and develop as they get older.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:21 pm

All points taken, although I disagree that Ardbeg 10 is one-dimensional. I think there's quite a lot there, and our legitimate difference of opinion is maybe what motivated my rumination; but that doesn't mean it applies to you particularly.

Nick, you haven't had hoppy until you've tried some of the monster American IPAs and "double IPAs" (or "imperial IPAs"). The hoppiest British cask ale I recall having--a pint of Landlord at the Woolly Sheep in Skipton--is quite mild and subtle by those standards. I love both worlds (and Landlord is my favorite beer in the entire universe), but they really are different beasts altogether.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:49 pm

I've never had the US mega IPAs - but I am sure Harveys Armada would hold its own. Landlord is a Yorkshire Bitter, and although it is relatively hoppy for a Yorkshire brew, they do tend to go for fruity/malty there. For hops, you'd need to come to Kent or Sussex. Most of the hoppy styles were toned down 15 years ago or so but a few remain.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 pm

My two cents concerning both hops and smoke are that they both offer varieties and nuances. Hops isn't only hops as there are a lot of varieties with different qualities. Same with peat really as there are differences to find between Springbanks, "modern" Ardbegs, old Port Ellens and new Bruichladdichs. And none of those have the same medicinal quality you would find in a Laphroaig (well, that is my opinion) . I recently had a Nøgne Ø 100 ( "IPA-style" ) with a 100 ibu and 10% . I thought it would be close to uncomfortable but it wasnt'. It was fantastic and although it has 40 ibu over the standard IPA it was simply gorgeous.

But I have to agree with Nick that in some cases the peat can be overwhelming. Maybe even masking bad quality - as you can with a woodfinish I guess?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:59 pm

100 ibu and 10% alcohol is pretty much what these "imperial" IPAs are at. My local is currently offering Smuttynose Big A IPA in that range; I don't ever have it, because I have to drive. (Guess it isn't that local.) Instead I have the junior version, Smuttynose IPA. Unfortunately, they can't post the alcohol content in Massachusetts, which I think is stupid--you should know what you're drinking. But I think it's around 6%, which is still too high, really. I've been after the brewmaster to make a good, hoppy session beer at about 4%, but for some reason American brewpubs just don't seem to be interested in making beers at that strength.

Back on topic...I'm looking forward to trying the new Ardbeg shortly--will be in the country in a few days! I think I'll be doing a Bladnoch survey first thing, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:56 am

Beer talk: I enjoyed very much Northern West Coast's brews in the States - Deschutes' Inversion IPA (IBU 75, alcohol 6.8%) was great, as were other brews by them.

And there were other great beers as well..
Deactivated Member

Whisky Store in Hamburg

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Saw a question about this - I can personally recommend also the Weinquelle highly, both as a source of internet sales and as a shop to visit when in Hamburg.

The very kind owners know their products well and are genuinely interested in whiskies, rum and such. Their selection is fantastic, and prices are reasonable.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:17 pm

Back to subject, I spoke with Brett at Binnys yesterday, and he said that he would be getting some in in a few weeks, and that it would cost about $85 or so..

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Now it's avalaible from the whiskyexchange too.
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Also available at Loch Fyne's

Pronounced Arry nan baysht.

A soapy nose, some say pine nuts I reckon pine-fresh washing up liquid. Also a slight cloud of smoke with esters, bananas and with time in the glass, peat. Taste (neat) is bitter smoke, definitely an Ardbeg with medicinal phenols and sweet. A smoky swallow and an increasingly forte tasting experience. Briny.

Water gives white pine (boxes), new sawdust, peat and salt. Superb. A cool creamy burp.

Not like the 17yo as proposed, this lacks the low complexity (probably because of a lack of chill-filtering). An ace.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:21 pm

I just picked up a bottle at the Whisky Exchange on my way through London. Haven't opened it yet, I'll wait until I get home.

Also got some Very Young and Still Young, as well as a bottle of Ardbeg 10 to drink while I'm visiting the UK. Just can't wait til I get home to try this stuff.

Those guys at the Whisky Exchange sure are nice, and WOW, what a huge inventory they have! :)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:06 am

It sure is a good dram. We served a LOT of this during the Stockholm Beer & Whisky festival.

Most people that visited the Glenmorangie stand was there for that release... ;)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Picked up the new Ardbeg 1990 16yo “Airigh Nam Beist” over the week-end and here’s my thoughts on it .....
I’ll start with the packaging (strange you might think…..) , first off it’s very nice , it has a gold celtic chain on it in similar style to the “A” on the Uigeadail but it doesn’t say “The Ultimate Islay Malt” !
Have the marketing men / women been at it ? it does on the box however say “Ardbeg , the Untamed Spirit of Islay “ ….Hmmm…new tag line ? The box / bottle does have a nice map and info as to how it has received it’s name and you know where it has the recycle symbols etc , there’s a nice little one of shorty saying “Islay Nosed” !

Right to the whisky ……a lovely bright gold colour and really oily (it’s got Legs and knows how to use them …..) , a very complex nose , creamy fudge , lemon (citric) , peat smoke , slight cocoa but I can’t get the much mentioned Pine nuts (we use them quite a bit in cooking and they don’t smell of much to me ....) . Later on there is a lot of coastal ozone (the seaweedy , at the seashore type of smell) .
On the palate a great wallop of peat ! Followed by smoke , pepper , creamy chocolate fudge and a very refined smoothness .
The finish is amazing , very long , peat , creamy and cocoa .
Boy what a dram !
It has touches of the 1977 about it and also the Ten , extremely well balanced IMHO , this is a superb addition to the range , it is priced competitively , I thought they might have charged somewhat more than the £45 after the recent 1975’s and 1965 !
It appears to get bigger the more you taste it .....
A Peet-heeds delight !
Release the beast it says on the Bottle ....too bloody right !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks for that excellent review SOI, I'll have to snag a few bottles of the Airigh Nam Beist when it gets to Binny's!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi,

I found the 16yo to be a lot less of a blast of smoke and peat and a lot more coastal. It seems to carry lots of charater and a bit more drier than the 10yo (I would say), I struggled to find the coco notes but did find plenty of long smoke and dry oak. Will definately go for more.

To my knowledge this is now part of the standard range and not a limited release. It should therefore be around a while and find its way to different countries.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder