Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What are the chances at Ardbeg...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What are the chances at Ardbeg...

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:33 am

What are the chances that Ardbeg will produce some of the new 10yo (2008) at cask strength?

Only Ardbeg knows the true financial success or failure of the Ardbeg ‘Very Young’ and ‘Still Young’. However, I wonder if they have created in bottling the VY and SY (and at what I assuming the ‘Almost There’ will be bottled) at cask strength, a niche for a new cask strength 10yo.

I realize one could argue that the Uigeadail is supposed to satisfy its customers who long for a cask strength Ardbeg. Yet, it seems to me that having followed the various bottlings of the new Ardbeg whisky over the past four years that there would be a market now for a 10yo cask strength, if only for 2008. This is especially relevant if they are indeed phasing out the Uigeadail line on account of not wanting to use any more 70's casks as they have done previously for this bottle.

While the parent company might be overly concerned that bottling a 10yo at cask strength would appear to be imitating Laphroaig rather than setting their own course, it just seems to me that they would be able to sell 10yo bottles at cask strength. Who knows, they may even grab some customers away from Laphroaig and so expand their own consumer base?
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi there,

afaik there has been/is a 10 year old Ardbeg at cask strength available in Japan. Apart from that the question what LVMH will do to Ardbeg is a suspense-packed question that shines through all the threads that are connected to Ardbeg in this forum.
Whatever will happen we will have to watch and wonder I`m afraid. :shock:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:04 pm

You could always write/email and ask them, let them know your wishes, if enough people do then you mght see it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: What are the chances at Ardbeg...

Postby duckmcf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:41 am

Ardbeg311 wrote:What are the chances that Ardbeg will produce some of the new 10yo (2008) at cask strength?

Who knows, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

Ardbeg have been releasing all sorts of expressions lately, everything from painfully young Peat Monsters through to 40+ year olds, even the odd sherry cask thrown in to the Uigeadail / Ooogling mix and who could forget the fantastic balls-up that was Serendipity.

My point is it doesn't really matter. I'm just kicking back and will enjoy what they send down the pipe when they're ready....
duckmcf

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder