Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wood finishing

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Wood finishing

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:59 am

Of all the different wood finish expressions available today what do you reckon is the most popular? Personally I like a bit of Port Wood finish. I think it produces a lively, fruity and velvety dram. Does anyone else have a favourite and why?
Last edited by martin grant on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:02 pm

While I'm not completely convinced about finishing in ex wine casks I do have to lean towards port as the one I like the best.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm

Spent some time enjoying the Glenmorangie Port Wood. A nice dram that is given a bit of added warm and complxity, but perhaps less "integrated" as I would wish.

Nice overall.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:09 pm

I rather enjoyed a Marsala finish on Glenmorangie a few years ago. I'm not a big fan of finishing as I think it is rather akin to artificial flavouring, but if it creates a good whisky, then why not? I have a couple of ports on the go at the moment and I find they have a cherry flavour - the Ben Nevis a bit like 1970s cherryade (not like cherry coke) and the Bowmore Voyage a bit like mentholated cherry Tunes (cough sweets).
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:35 pm

I'd enjoyed Balvenie and Glenmorangie Portwoods, but I really am curious about rum finishes. I've had about 3 of these, and they were really, really good.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:44 pm

The Balvenie 21 Port wood finish, I think is a winner. The nose is so pungent and idiosyncratic I couldn't believe it at first (tropical fruits, custard...). As MJ wrote, its 'bring on the petit fours' time. Its too bad its price fluctuates wildy: I would have to pay more than twice the price I used to in order to drink some now... (So its 'bring on 'something else' time instead, lol.)

However, I wasn't a great fan of Springbanks rum finish (regretted opening it in fact --though the finish is brilliant --fruity, belies the turpentine nose) and think the Glenmorangie port finish pales compared to the Balvenie 21, same for their Sherry finish as compared to the 'real' Macallan.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Oliver wrote:The Balvenie 21 Port wood finish, I think is a winner.

Ah! I was thinking of the Balvenie 1991 Portwood which I think is 14 or 15yrs old. The 21 Portwood is too expensive for me... :cry:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:02 pm

It's curious that you bring up the Balvenie Portwood 1991, I've had two different bottlings and one was very rich and full of brown sugar on the nose etc but the secong was completlety devoid of any such flavours, it was very odd.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Oliver » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Frodo:

I'm in the same boat as you: I can no longer afford the balvenie 21... But it used to be decently priced in old new orleans, around $50, or not much more just a couple of years ago.

There was a pretty decently priced Port (finish?) glenfarclas a few years ago that I thought was good (very good). It really is a bit of a challenge to be single malt afficionado without sizeable reserves of disposable income. May I point you to an older entry on maltresistance ("how to build a cellar on the cheap") there might be some good tips for those of us in the know but not in the dough....
Cheers Frodo!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Most of what I've tried are sherrywood finishes though I've tried a couple ex-wine casked whiskies including the Bruichladdich Cotes du Rhinns 1989 Valinch which were alright but not really that great. I've never tried a port wood finish but I have a '94 Caol Ila 12yo Signatory Unchillfiltered Portwood Finish that I've been dying to taste and with all this talk about portwood finishes this might just give me enough incentive to open it soonly! :lol: 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Okay a quick question..... these finishes.... are they mostly finishes on Bourbon barrels and third fill barrels and over. I was just thinking that a first fill sherry barrel may have too much sherry flavour already to absorb other flavours except maybe port. I don't know anybody out there have any ideas?
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 pm

I think generally that's the case, iwc--no point otherwise. Some say that the finish is intended to cover up mediocre or bad malt, but my feeling is that you put it in the barrel to improve it in the first place; if the first barrel hasn't done the job, why not finish it in another? If you like the end result, that's the only thing that matters. And if you don't, well, then that's the only thing that matters, too.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Ta Mr T-H .... Maybe you could pose the cover up of finishing barrels while on you travels just for a reaction if anything :wink:

Enjoy the month anyway
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:59 pm

I am no big fan of woodfinishes. This perhaps because of my very conservative view on single malt. IMHO, only one out of ten finishes is a good bottling. But there are some gems out there. The new Marsala finished Springbank is good, and will serve a purpose in my home; Cristmasdram. The Balvenie Portwood 21yo is also a very nice dram.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Oliver wrote:Frodo:

I'm in the same boat as you: I can no longer afford the balvenie 21... But it used to be decently priced in old new orleans, around $50, or not much more just a couple of years ago.

Jeez! At that price I'd buy a case! At the LCBO, the Balvenie 21 was over $150 cdn. Lucky you...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 pm

I’ve never been overly keen on finishes, but found recently that a port finish really compliments a cigar very well.

I know zero about cigars, but have a friend who is a major aficionado. He recently gave me some quality mild, medium, and bold flavored cigars as a gift. We smoked a mild dominican (I think), I broke out the single malt to see how they went together. Along with a Glenfarclas 17yo, A’bundah, and a few others, the malt that was heads above all others was an Auchroisk 12yo port finish from Murry McDavid. It had an extra sweet finishing punch that worked great with the smoke, the combination was really something.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder