Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 15ys - No bottle number!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie 15ys - No bottle number!

Postby rob_Brum » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:18 am

I recently baught a bottle of Balvene 15yr old while I was on holiday, but now wonder if i have baught "a lemon" as it doesnt have a bottle number, the details are:-

Cask Date - 28.06.89
Cask no 7607
Bottling date date - 29.07.04
Bottling number - (is blank)
rob_Brum

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:49 pm

There's no such thing as a "lemon" Balvenie. At least you got cask info, my bottle has none of that nor do I care becauser it's still one fine whisky regardless! :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:56 pm

I had a single cask once and it hung around for a fair old while because it didn't seem to have any flavour. Anyway, over time the bottle number faded completely, leaving no trace. Weird, eh? I hope yours is a different cask as I've subsequently discovered that Balvenie should normally have flavour.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:55 pm

Wave wrote:There's no such thing as a "lemon" Balvenie. At least you got cask info, my bottle has none of that nor do I care becauser it's still one fine whisky regardless! :)

Cheers!

I guess it depends on personal taste. I'd say there are bland bottlings of Balvenie (see 10yr old).

Waiting for a pounding comming from Balvenie fanatics...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:19 pm

rob,

No bottling number on a single caks bottling, that 's strange indeed... :?
I think your comments are facsinating. I remember writing on my blog that the Balvenie 15 was too good to be true at its current price (A single cask bottle for $50). I had predicted a price raise. If what you say is not just an occurence of "mysteriously disappearing ink" :lol: (see othe post) then I should have realised that standards would go down...

This also reminds me of the demise of the Macallan 18 (may it r.i.p.) which used to note the date of distillation AND bottling on its label.
I don't know about the Balvenie (waiting for other posts --going to the liquor store today to check things out) but what happened to the Macallan 18 was a shame, it went from being a Vintage Single malt to a standard 18 year old (a BIG difference), and the good folks at the MAcallan tried to put it past us. At the Balvenie, if confirmed, the alleged action would be another stone in the wall that is the decline of standards in the sms industry...

THanks for the post rob!
Oliver
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder