Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scapa 14y

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Scapa 14 Years Old

Scapa 14y

Postby Laurentius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Could it be that my bottle of Scapa is a dud??? Do you even get dud bottles of whisky? Its just not as strong and characterfull as what i expected??

My current w-o-c (whisky of choice) is the 18y Coal Ila, the double matured Talisker or the 16 y Lagavulin, and i was really expected the Scapa to find a niche between that of the Talisker and the Lagavulin - maybe i was deluding myself with the fact that Scapa is on Orkney and so far north??

I wonder what the more experienced members think of the Scapa?

Laurentius
Laurentius

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Scapa is quite light and fruity, not at all like the other malts you mention. Some here have said they find honeyish notes in it similar to Highland Park, but I don't find them--the 14 reminded me of nothing so much as fruit salad.

I think maybe there is a lesson for you here--don't put too much stock in regional characteristics, especially "Island", which is no region at all. Scapa may not be your style, but I do hope you will learn to appreciate it on its own terms. It's really a very nice malt.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Fachan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Laurentius,

Tell us what you were expecting and perhaps we can help?

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Laurentius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Ian / MrTattieheid,

Thank you for the replies, i think I placed to much emphasis on the location of Scapa - it was an impulse buy last week based on the fact that the standard 10 y Talisker has been my sort of "house" brand since my eyes were opened to SMW and that Scapa is further north, also on an island and thus i was expecting a similar complex whiskey, sea, salt, layers of tastes, basically the same sort of "explosion of taste" but in stead i found the Scapa to be a much more refind taste, lighter, and more like a Springbank.

Hmmm, should be a lesson not to go with the impulse buys - my other choice was to start with the Bruichladdich family, the 10y standard version.

Having just poured myself a dram of Scapa i must agree that in its own right its a good whisky, but just not of the strenght of character than what i expected. A good "pre-dinner" whisky, gentle, friendly and one that can be shared with those not familiar with the more robust members of the SMW family!

L.
Laurentius

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:27 pm

Interestingly enough, the Bruichladdich 10 is probably the closest thing I can think of to the Scapa! I like the 'Laddie better myself--being bottled at 46% and unchillfiltered, it has more character than Scapa, I think. But it is similarly fruity and relatively light.

There are lots of tasting notes available here, both on the magazine's website and in the forums. Look at the first thread under this heading, Whisky Tastings. And welcome aboard!
Deactivated Member

Postby Laurentius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:39 pm

truth be told, i find the tasting notes difficult to interpret! I have an un-educated palate and do not get the finer nuances as is often described in the notes, that and the fact that English is not my first language makes for confused reading of " starts with smooth honey, becoming deeper in flavour, developing to a smooth perfumy smokiness" Sorry, no offence meant, but the only things i sort of get is the "medicinal" taste and the " peaty" taste and I can agree with "complexity" to a certain extend!

But then, the pleasure is in the enjoyment of that first sniff ( now know that its the "nose" of a whisky!), that first taste, the pleasure of swilling it, savouring the tastes, the depth of the whisky. For me its as if i can taste the skill, the expertise, the history that have gone into each and every bottle of SMW that has found its way to my table!

Its and addiction, and i am not talking about the alcohol!

L

Ps - thanks for the kind words of welcome!
Laurentius

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:57 pm

Hi Laurentius:

Lots of forum members have commented that they would have liked to try the Scapa 14yr at 46% abv (and non-chill filtered). That is to say, same whisky but more intense. I like it fine, but can understand this line of thinking...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:32 am

Welcome to the forum Laurentius. Don't be too quick to dismiss Scapa 14. Nobody has an educated palate when they start drinking whisky.
Part of the fun and enjoyment is getting to recognise some of the characteristics that make whisk(e)y. Even the experts don't know it all and many on this forum will disagree with them.
Just as you don't like Scapa 14 (just now) many will say they do. Some have already commented on their dislike of Caol Ila 18 but you enjoy it, and quite right too.
A trick to tasting is to look at the age statement of the whisky and hold your first mouthful for one second per year. You will find more flavours start to emerge as a) your mouth warms the sprirt and b) your own saliva dilutes it to release even more aromas. If there is no age statement hold it for 15 seconds :wink:
Enjoy every drop and keep reading the boards :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Laurentius » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks Chieftan and all others, I am def. going to try your tip about keeping the first sip in my mouth as you describe - sure will take some dissipline though! :)

The other good advice i have received on my posting was to get the right tasting glass - this i picked up from postings on the other forums - so now the hunt is on for a "glencairn" tasting glass. I'm sure i will find one somewhere in town.

Also been told to rub a drop of the whisky between the palms of your hand, that the heat will release some of the more subtle "nose" of the whisky so will have to try this, but its seems such a waste of good whisky!

Back to the topic of the Scapa - had another taste yesterday evening, with the tasting notes as i found them on this site, and concentrated on experiencing the Scapa in its own right and it is a good whisky, then compared it to a Rosebank 22y, cask strenght - found them to be similar :oops: after having added water to the Rosebank to dilute the alchohol a bit.

Ahh, its a great life, having the priviledge to enjoy such good whiskies!

Laurentius.
Laurentius

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Crieftan wrote:Even the experts don't know it all and many on this forum will disagree with them.

Yeah...'cause unlike the experts, we do know it all! :P :P :P

Excellent comparison with Rosebank, Laurentius, despite age and strength difference. The Rosebanks I've had have been very lemony. A shame that one's gone. As I've stated elsewhere, I think there is a boom in interest in Lowland whiskies coming, fueled in part, ironically, by their decreasing availability. Like rock stars, many distilleries sell best after death, unfortunately.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:12 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I think maybe there is a lesson for you here--don't put too much stock in regional characteristics, especially "Island", which is no region at all. Scapa may not be your style, but I do hope you will learn to appreciate it on its own terms. It's really a very nice malt.

Once again, well said Mr. T.

Scapa 14 is a very good malt that is both sweet and flavourful, take a moment to warm th dram in the glass before tasting, it will open up.

Welcome to the forum Laurentius.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Scapa 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder