Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Crown Royal Extra Rare opinions?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal Extra Rare

Crown Royal Extra Rare opinions?

Postby Vange » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Has anyone purchased or tried this whisky?
Vange

Postby old rarity » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:49 am

I bought a bottle recently in Toronto. The packaging is lush and part of the high price is attributable to that, surely. Is the whiskey good? Yes, very. It is "very" Crown Royal, too, not something essentially different from the other CRs but everything is just ratcheted up a notch or two. It has very much the CR signature which I would say is a complexity of oak character. Since CR is made I understand from a high-proof, fairly neutral base, the long aging in wood and blending of many different ages and casks is what gives the house taste and complexity. In the XR version, this is still true I think in that e.g. it did not seem to contain a higher percentage of flavouring (straight-style) whiskeys than regular CR or CR Special Reserve.

I like all the Crown Royal iterations currently available but the regular one is still hard to beat.

Recently I made my own personal CR vatting which is about 70% Limited Edition, 20% regular Crown Royal, 10% the XR version. In this version, the extra rye notes which are evident in the Limited Edition come through but Limited Edition gains additional complexity from the other CRs.
old rarity

Related whiskies : Crown Royal Extra Rare

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder