Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Bushmills from Celtic Whiskey Shop

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

New Bushmills from Celtic Whiskey Shop

Postby Jobi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Has anyone by chance sampled any of the new Bushmills single cask bottlings from the Celtic Whiskey Shop (Bourbon barrel, Sherry hogshead, Rum cask)? I'm thinking of placing an order and thought I would check first...
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi Jobi, I've had a single Sherry cask from there but it was not the one listed(delivery mix up from Bushmills to CWS) and it is very good and would not be far from the Celtic Whiskey Shop bottle. I have not done any notes on it as yet but if the guys from Celtic Whiskey say it's good I tend to believe them. The sherry cask can show you where Blackbush gets its roots from but at 53.7% is a much bolder richer expression from the usual Bushmills single malts at 40%. I have really been enjoying mine so far but cannot help thinking that it has some similar charistics to a Macallan 10yo cask strength but for me it is nicer than Macallan.

This very subjective of course but I'd definately go for a Sherry and Bourbon. I've tried the bourbon a while back but can only remember that I liked it. In relation to the Rum cask I'll leave that to you and your own taste. I've tried a 40% bushmills Rum Single Malt from Bushmills and thought it was only so so but the cask strength may be better.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:52 pm

I've tried the sherry one and another older sherry one. They are both very good. I haven't tried the rum or the bourbon casked ones. Pretty good value for a single cask bushmills.
Aidan

Re: New Bushmills from Celtic Whiskey Shop

Postby quarrdene@sky.com » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 pm

I received a bottle of this from my brother for my birthday recently. Its an excellent tipple,probably better than Macallan 10 yr old (costs a lot more), has a distinctive taste (could n't tell you what it is, but it's great). I've got the odd decanter off 25 year old grouse whisky (yr 2000 sold at £1000 per bottle) which I'm afraid to try & this is an acceptable substitute for a fraction of the price.
quarrdene@sky.com

Postby IainB » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:22 am

I'm on to my second bottling of all three. I'd agree with everything IWC says about the sherry cask. The bourbon cask is great too - very clean (is that a description?) malty taste. Probably my favourite of the three, but it depends on the mood I'm in.

I actually really like the rum cask also. Very different from any of the other Bushmills - always worth trying something different. That said the 12yo part rum cask IWC mentioned is a favourite of mine too.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby leydar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:16 am

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone knows whether all of the single cask releases, ie. the bourbon, rum and sherry, are 13/14 year olds. I know the ones listed in the CWS website now are but I seem to remember them being of varied ages when they were first released.

Wasn't the rum-casked one a 16 or 17 year old for instance?

Stephen
leydar

Postby Aidan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 am

There was also a 17 yr old sherry cask, which they got by accident. And the new Rum cask is also 17, even though the blurb on the inside suggests it's 14 yrs old. Just the box, rather than the label.

I'll have to check this out to make sure I'm right, though.
Aidan

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder