Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky for all seasons or def. Winter vs. Summer tastes?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky for all seasons or def. Winter vs. Summer tastes?

Postby Laurentius » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

With the changing of the seasons, on my side from winter to summer i find myself reaching for the lighter drams, the Clynelish, the Springbank, and now that i am in to it the Scapa. I still enjoy one dram of my "soul" whiskies, the Caol Ila 18, the Talisker 16, and Ardbeg 10 or the Lagavulin 16 but no longer do i select these as first choice. Could it be that longer days, hotter nights makes for a diffirent selection in whisky - what has your experience been??

L.
Laurentius

Postby Choochoo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:26 pm

I've found that during the summer I lose my taste for single malts. Even light bodied lowlanders have very little appeal to me during the warm months. Luckily that only lasts for about 3 months where I live though.

I really enjoy bourbon when the weather turns warm, but don't enjoy it too much in the winter. So seasons clearly play a part in my drinking preferences.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby maverick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:53 pm

I don't know why it is, but when its warm I want something that cools my system down so I don't go for whiskey, I go for a cold beer (preferably Guinness) and when it's colder I want something to warm my self up in which case I go for a dram. I guess (with me) the body wants to be in balance if that makes any sense(???)

Furthermore, I think that whiskey tastes different when it's warm, For me it's not nearly as pleasurable as when temperatures are normal/neutral.
maverick

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:51 am

Yes, definitely, seasons, weather, mood play a major role in my whisky drinking habits. I don't like heavy smoky stuff in the summer, but lighter instead. And I tend to like bourbon in the summer, maybe cause it's okay (???) with ice. I just let my mood do the talking and choosing, cause if I do pour myself something other than what I think suits me best at the time, I truly won't enjoy it as much as what my mood is set on.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:44 am

It's important to have a water glass on the side of whisky, and the mood is more significant than the season for the choice of the brand.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:59 am

Yes, true Luca, it's good to have a glass of water on the side. I do too, to drink it but also to add to the whisky if necessary.
Di Blasi

Postby Ardbeg311 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I thought my taste for the powerful Islays would diminish during the hot summer months, but it was in a stretch of incredibly hot and humid weather that I enjoyed what turned out to be the best drams of the summer. The whisky? The Ardbeg Very Young. I guess for me, the Islays (Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin) are drams for all seasons.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:I thought my taste for the powerful Islays would diminish during the hot summer months, but it was in a stretch of incredibly hot and humid weather that I enjoyed what turned out to be the best drams of the summer. The whisky? The Ardbeg Very Young. I guess for me, the Islays (Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin) are drams for all seasons.

Perhaps younger whiskies are more suited to the summer months? I don't know but it's an interesting question.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:01 pm

I can enjoy a Laphroaig any time of the year but it's specially nice during the cold months. With a smokey glass of Laphroaig in hand and the scent of oak and hickory smoke in the air from nearby chimney's, the combination is euphoric!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:00 pm

For me, the Glenmorangie 10 is a nice summer dram with its fresh- and fruityness.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Dubois » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Talking about summer-drams,yes, I believe they exist ,and the first name comming to my mind is Dalwhinnie 15 Yrs.
Dubois

Postby Wave » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 pm

A couple of other light summer-time malts also include the Benromach Traditional and the Tomintoul 16yo. :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:36 pm

I drink less whisky in summer than winter. But I don’t seem to be following the crowd here… this summer I loved peaty whiskies, Bruichladdich 3D, Caol Ila & Talisker in particular. But when it’s cold and wintery, I like sweet honey flavours, and rich sherry and vanilla and Christmas cake like Mortlach, Edradour & Dalmore. Edradour cask strength Barolo Finish… mmmm…. It’s like being wrapped up in a big fluffy towel in front of the fire, so perfect for winter :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:23 pm

There's no question that my drinking habits change in the summer months. I veer away from whisky and towards tequila and rum. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps I just crave something a bit fruitier in the summer heat. I'm glad to see that a few others experience a similar trend. Makes me feel like less of a freak.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder