Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Chivas Regal 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Chivas Regal 18

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:05 pm

Could you share your opinions and tasting notes please.

Thanks,

ScotchPalate
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Re: Chivas Regal 18

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:07 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:Could you share your opinions and tasting notes please.

Thanks,

ScotchPalate

I disliked it very much. Thin and grainy, to me. I actaully prefered the 12 year, which is much cheaper. Now, Royal Salute is my favorite blend, and this does not come close. Royal Solute 21 explores with fruit, and has the most wonderful nose of any blend I have had. The 18 is a totally different malt; dull and bland to me.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 pm

I had high expectations for the 18...well, higher expectations from what I got from the 12. I suppose I was hoping for a bit more maltiness, but I still got a dram that was filled with grainy notes. I couldn't quite get my hands on this one, and will need to try it again.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:35 pm

I tried it a couple of times. Liked it better than the 12yr old, but not close to being worth the $$. Flavours are fuzzy, not focused. Soft dram, but what was the blender trying to do I ask myself?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:51 am

I was curious to see what everyone thought. I will admit that I am new to this scene and that I do not have an experienced palate (despite my screen name :wink: ). This one has an immidiate blossom of complex
flavors in the front of the mouth and the tip of the tongue. I can't place them all. I taste dates, some sherry notes, and some peatiness (which
I have not yet tasted from a blended whiskey). Very Fruity and flavorful.
BUT, the finish is a very strong mocha/baker's chocolate/coffee flavor that turns bitter. The after-taste lasts long and I'm just not fond of the mocha/baker's chocolate/coffee flavor in my Scotch. Bottom line is it's not worth $70!!! :x Maybe it'll grow on me with time....maybe.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby agtepstein » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:37 pm

I rather enjoy this blend and actually think its a pretty good dram compared to the blends in its price range and availability.

A little grainy finish, but overall a very fruity and light whiskey that I prefer greatly over the 12 yr. I actually enjoy it over its rival, the Walker Gold, which I feel is a little harsh and a tad more expensive.

Also had the dimple pinch 15yr and not found that as enjoyable.

In my neck of the woods, this bottle can be had for between $45-$55, which is not tremendously expensive.

There are a great deal of single's that are vastly superior in the price range, but i find this to be a great gift scotch for the layman.

The packaging and bottle are terrific as well, not that that is a reason to purchase a particular bottle.
agtepstein

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:42 am

For my two bob's worth, Chivas Regal 18 is very, very disappointing. It's very thin, I agree with others' comments that it is grainy, and apart from a seemingly identifiable note of Strathisla in there, it doesn't do anything for me.

(Mind you, neither does the 12yo! IMHO, Chivas Regal is a very over-rated whisky).

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder