Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dalmore Cigar Malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : The Dalmore Cigar Malt

Dalmore Cigar Malt

Postby howarths » Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:25 pm

Cigars being another of my interest I spend some of my relaxtion time testing what malts go with what cigars. A hell of job - but hey, someone has to do it!

The results are purely personal, and I share them with no one in particular (I do post sometimes to the Cigar Aficionado site which has a drink section). Over time I have come to notice a general and perhaps obvious trend. Basically - the lighter the whisky, the lighter the cigar should be. I always choose the whisky first, and then the cigar although I am prone to mistakes as sometimes I am not sure if a cigar is strong or not; I really must learn more about them!

Anyway to get to the question - I notice the US market has "Dalmore Cigar Malt". What I would like to know is:

(a) Is this just marketing or is it a "special" for this purpose?
(b) It's not got a year so I presume it might be young?
(c) Is it available in the UK, and if so where from?

Any help appreciated.

Simon.
howarths

Postby SpeedyJohn » Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:42 pm

Simon:

To answer part (a): It's a bit of both. It's more sherry influenced than the standard Dalmore 12yo, richer, smoother, more "cognac-like." But, the name alone is blatant marketing. Still, a good dram that I prefer over the 12yo...and it would go great with an after-dinner cigar.

To answer part (b): I believe it is 12yo, but don't take my word on it.

As far as part (c): I have no idea. Sorry.

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby howarths » Mon Nov 12, 2001 6:38 pm

Thanks for that, it's helped a lot. I'll have to investigate the possibilities of supply!

Simon.
howarths

Postby scotspain » Mon Nov 12, 2001 9:22 pm

Hi Simon,

I have seen the Cigar Malt at Royal Mile Whiskies (http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com). The price is £ 35. In my opinion it is expensive as you can get the 12 y.o. Dalmore at £ 21. Royal Mile recomends their own 17 y.o. Dufftown as the ultimate Cigar smokers whisky!
Stig
scotspain

Postby SpeedyJohn » Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:24 pm

Simon:

Update on part (b): I read somewhere (I think it was on www.maltwhiskey.com) that the Cigar Malt is a vatting of whiskies from 10 to 20 years old, thus making it a "10yo". Whatever the case may be, there is definitely a good bit of older whisky in the bottle.

Part (c): In PA/USA, the Cigar malt is actually a few pennies cheaper than the 12yo, both selling for around $27-$28US. The Dalmore 21yo (one of my favorite whiskies) goes for around $65US.

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby howarths » Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:42 pm

Thanks for all your help. Off to Edinburgh soon so I may be popping in to "Royal Mile" to have a gander...

Simon.
howarths

Related whiskies : The Dalmore Cigar Malt

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder