Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Highland Park 18

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:27 pm

I'm thinking of getting Highland Park 18 as my next dram. I haven't found any minis to try. It seems a lot of people here (forum) like it, and it got great reviews from Whisky Magazine. BUT, Whiskey Magazine had a great review on the Chivas Regal 18. I don't think it's that great, and it cost me $73 or roughly 135 pounds!! :x :x I don't want a repeat. I'm certain that I will never have a palate as complex or respected as Michael Jackson's. He seems to give anything that tastes like pine-nuts a 9 or higher. I DON'T LIKE PINE-NUTS :shock: I understand there is more of an appreciative taste for them in GB. Here in the US, we have no sophistication, elegance or patience for such a taste, and I am no exception :wink: Now, I will rap-up my Ugly American rant, and ask you fine folks if I am likely to taste pine-nuts in the Highland-Park 18 ($70) Dram. Thank you.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Pine nuts was not my experience. I like the way Jim Murray describes this one, something about a honey pot with peat (I butcher him, I appoligize). I think it is wonderful malt, and frakly a fair deal at 70 bucks. Binnys also has a good price on the 1977 Bicentenary Highland Park, with is darn spiffy as well.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi ScotchPalate, I cannot really recomend this to you only because I do not know what you like. However HP 18 is a womderful dram. I don't think HP do any bad drams. Most people prefer the 18 over the 12 but I prefer the 12 for some reason.

My amature notes are as follows.

N: Over ripe Mellon and Honey
T: Sherbit like mouth filling spice, touch of smoke
F: Long with an obvious touch of citrus.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm

There are mini's of HP 18, at least here in The Netherlands.

BTW, I guess I'm one of the few people who think HP 18 is a nice whisky, but nothing to get excited about.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:06 pm

HP 18 was my first great single malt love, but my most recent bottle of it I really didn't care for. At it's best, HP18 offers a unique honey tang along with well balanced bit of peat smoke in the finish. Well put together, the 18yo benefits from its age, being more rounded & refined. However, I found my most recent bottle to be more woody and bitter, overpowering much of the honey sweetness or touches of smoke.

I'd say that the HP12yo would be a good choice in place of the 18. It costs less, and at the younger age allows the charater of the malt to show through more. It maybe less refined, but the quality is still there.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:35 pm

For what it's worth, I still find the HP18 a great dram.
What has to be considered is that everything is relative - a not so good experience with HP18 can only really to be guaged against itself. Most folk who have found HP18 to be lacking recently have probably been wow-ed first time round and find the second/third or whatever experience to be a bit of an anti-climactical - perhaps a case of over familiarity? This, however, doesn't mean that the whisky is a lesser quality.

Personally I'd risk going with the 18yo - its one I'd take to a desert island, along with Led Zep IV, Wind in the Willows and Mrs C ( :wink: loads of brownie points there :lol: ) and ma dug - and home, garden................

Anyway - I'm not going to tell you it's the best thing you'll taste. It's like telling someone they'll find a film funny - they probably won't!. Everyone had differing tastes. What I will say is that HP18 it is a well respected whisky and liked by many people. Jim Murray described it along the lines of opening a honey pot that once held peat embers 8)

Choochoo gives good advice - you could try the 12 first and if you find it pleasing, give the 18 a shot.

Let us know how you get on.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:46 pm

HP 18yo is on of my all time favourites. It is also one of the most universally highly rated whiskies around (perhaps the most).

However, I know what MJ means about pine nuts !!
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:52 pm

I was thinking more like pan fried macadamias sautéed in rosemary olive oil and Brazilian shallots :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:55 pm

$70.00 seems high for a HP 18, but it may be that I simply am not familiar with prices in your region.

While I have never been wowed by the HP 18, I have never really been disappointed either. If the price of the 12 is close to half of what the 18 is then I too would recommend you trying the 12 first. If you have already done so, then I think you can be confident that the 18 has all of the 12 and a little more (IMO).

However, if you are paying 70.00 for the HP then I might steer you towards the Talisker 18 which I believe is even better and you certainly will have no fear of getting "pine-nuts" with the Talisker.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:00 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:$70.00 seems high for a HP 18, but it may be that I simply am not familiar with prices in your region.

While I have never been wowed by the HP 18, I have never really been disappointed either. If the price of the 12 is close to half of what the 18 is then I too would recommend you trying the 12 first. If you have already done so, then I think you can be confident that the 18 has all of the 12 and a little more (IMO).

However, if you are paying 70.00 for the HP then I might steer you towards the Talisker 18 which I believe is even better and you certainly will have no fear of getting "pine-nuts" with the Talisker.

I did a quick search, and did not find anywhere that was really under $70. Ardbeg, sounds like you life in the land of bargins. Got any couch space? :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Ah, yes. Talisker 18 is on my Scotch Wish List. But, of course I've been searching high and low for the unique single malt flavour of pan fried macadamias sautéed in rosemary olive oil and Brazilian shallots :lol: :lol:
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:12 pm

Drrich1965,

If you come to MA you too might find some bargins. Actually, I was able to get the HP 18 for 58.00 just several months ago. I am not currently in MA so I can't confirm that is the price now, but Mr. T could.

Cheers.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:21 pm

Here is the website: http://www.tableandvine.com (Northampton, MA). The HP 18 is 58.99 (they have gone up a dollar since July).
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:Here is the website: http://www.tableandvine.com (Northampton, MA). The HP 18 is 58.99 (they have gone up a dollar since July).

And an even better price on Lagavulin 16yo, $57.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:Here is the website: http://www.tableandvine.com (Northampton, MA). The HP 18 is 58.99 (they have gone up a dollar since July).

Time to look for a job opening in MA!! :wink:

I bought two bottles in duty free for $55, and thought I had a swell (gee, golly) deal..

That is a killer price for Lagavulin as well..Hmmm..Just looked on their site; very reasonable prices.. Need to find out if they ship...

Particuarlly cheap, Balvinie 21 Port wood 89bucks, and Ardbeg 10 for 39...Nice deals..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:45 pm

HP 18 is brilliant and $73 is quite cheap. It costs £60 here.

Whether or not it's brilliant enough to be worth 2.4 bottles of the 12, I wouldn't like to say. If you like the 12, you should like the 18.

BTW Chivas 12 and 18 are a waste of money.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:36 pm

Bruce,
Thanks for sharing. Wow, it's 60 pounds in the UK! Have they upped their prices there? If so, uh-oh, we're next. Unfortunately, I found out too late that Chivas 18 is not worth the money! To add insult to injury, I walked into a liqour store on the other side of the side of town and saw that they had Chivas 18 Minis!!!!!! :x :x :( :( . I could have tried it before I bought the 750 ML dram. Oh, well. Live and learn.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:16 am

Highland Park 18 is one of my favorite drams...actually, I've never had a Highland Park of any vintage that I didn't love. Bruce's 60 pound price may also be dependent on local taxes...the UK tends to hit all whiskies with a pretty steep tax from what others have said. I've seen it around here for around $60 a bottle...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:17 am

IMHO Highland Park is one of the most brilliant brands out there,and HP 18 in particular has allways been a favorite of mine you simply cannot beat for the price.
Dubois

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:27 pm

Crieftan wrote:
Personally I'd risk going with the 18yo - its one I'd take to a desert island, along with Led Zep IV, Wind in the Willows and Mrs C ( :wink: loads of brownie points there :lol: ) and ma dug - and home, garden................

So basically your saying you'd take a bottle of HP18 with you if you move to Barbados :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:01 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:

So basically your saying you'd take a bottle of HP18 with you if you move to Barbados :wink:

Wouldn't anyone? 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:HP 18 is brilliant and $73 is quite cheap. It costs £60 here.

It can be had cheaper - eg £39 at the airport. The cheapest places in Edinburgh for HP18 used to be the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre and Harvey Nicks (really!) at around £45. Don't know whether those prices are still current.
Deactivated Member

Postby GreyArea » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:40 pm

There's a Highland Park 15 now (not the Alchemist). I got a bottle from the Sainsbury's in Stirling on my way home. Lovely drop. Only ever tried the 12 before (apart from the 19 I got on hols) and this is much better. Smooth, honey, heather and a hint of peat. Lovely stuff.

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:28 pm

i've had the HP 15. It was very good but I didn't think it was much different to the HP 12.

I bought a bottle of HP18 from Glenturret distillery for £41, about 4 years ago. It's shot up in price since then.

It was the first whisky I had and then said 'That's the best whisky ever' afterwards.

BTW, just noticed RMW have HP 18 for £52, so that's not bad.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby GreyArea » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:19 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:i've had the HP 15. It was very good but I didn't think it was much different to the HP 12.

Well, I just bought a HP12 this morning for comparison (£19.99 Asda).

All I need to do now is wait for this stinking head cold I've got to go away...

Hmmm. I wonder what Aberlour A'bunadh and Crabbies would be like? I quite fancy a cask strength Whisky Mac

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:39 pm

Bittersweet "HP " story coming up.

Two years ago I was in Safeways-as -was...they had HP 12 on "special" at £19. Then i noticed 3 mildewed boxes on the shelf that turned out to be HP18. i asked for a price. thay didn't have one, so they "had to " let me have it for the same price!

I grabbed a bottle quick, but stupidly, not all three( not wanting to raise suspicion maybe) . needless to say, by the time I returned for the other 2, they'd tumbled to it.

It was then officially £47...so a bargain nonetheless!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:01 pm

I think, along with most right-minded people :?: , that HP 18 is a great whisky. But I found that it seems to deterioate in an opened bottle quicker than most. Both bottles I've had have done it.
If you want to get HP 18 on the cheap, try France - about 50 euros in the supermarkets. But you better not try to get them after we've been as we always empty the shelves. :wink:
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:38 pm

DramMeister wrote:I think, along with most right-minded people :?: , that HP 18 is a great whisky. But I found that it seems to deterioate in an opened bottle quicker than most. Both bottles I've had have done it.
If you want to get HP 18 on the cheap, try France - about 50 euros in the supermarkets. But you better not try to get them after we've been as we always empty the shelves. :wink:

I had the same experience; both of the 18yo I have had seemed to have a bit shorter shelf life than normal. Great whisky, drink up :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby wieslaw » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:59 am

Unless I had an odd bottling, I found the HP 18 to be unbalanced -- fruity sweetness & slight pepper but overheated & thus overrated. Stung the nose!

The HP 12 is a fiery honeycomb though!

Wieslaw
wieslaw

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:14 am

Hmmm! This HP 18 debate has inspired me to open my HP18 miniature that's been winking at me these past few weeks.

In a nutshell I'd say it is maybe not as sweet as the 12 Y.O, but it has an intriguing depth that makes it a preferred dram IMHO.

First time i had this, it reminded me of a Macallan 18 y.o. but not as sweet,
Same impression now. subtler than the Mac, but just as good. In each case, the 18 is a "deeper" version of the standard bottling.

...It's just plain delicious! Dammit! me sister just came back from France! I'm off to France - get me some cheap HP18!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:24 am

Drrich1965 wrote:
DramMeister wrote:I think, along with most right-minded people :?: , that HP 18 is a great whisky. But I found that it seems to deterioate in an opened bottle quicker than most. Both bottles I've had have done it.

I had the same experience; both of the 18yo I have had seemed to have a bit shorter shelf life than normal. Great whisky, drink up :wink:

Same here, the taste of my HP18 changed quite quick once it was opened.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:41 pm

Changes after opened, hmmm. I'll have to vacuum seal it! :lol: :wink:
Too bad I'm on the other side of the pond (and far at that, Arizona ,a California neighbor) or I might zip onto France for a few cheap bottles. Although, I'm not sure I'd admit to being an American in France. I'll just say I'm Canadian :P.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:07 am

Changes after opening?

Just plow into it, it's very moreish.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

American's as Canucks

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:47 am

ScotchPalate wrote: ..., I'm not sure I'd admit to being an American in France. I'll just say I'm Canadian :P.

Do we lynch him now, or send him an application for citizenship? :wink: A number of years ago my nephew was in France and was surprised to see so many American kids wearing Canadian flags. A form of protective camoflage?
To be honest ScotchPalate, most Europeans can't tell us apart - so just say "please" and "thank you" a bit and they'd assume you're one of us. :D
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:12 am

I think the HP 12 was better about 6 or 7 years ago. I got one 3 years ago and didnt enjoy it much at all - in fact I only finished it recently!

However, it is supposedly improving again - look for the one in the round tin rather than the square box.
Marvin
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder