Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Time of Day for Malts

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Time of Day for Malts

Postby sgsoloplayer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:42 pm

Hey guys, I searched and did not find anything on this subject so please direct me to a topic if I missed it. I was wondering what kinds of malts are good at certain times. I'm new to malts and just bought the ardbeg 10 and highland park 18, so I wanted to know if there is a certain time of the day that is better for drinking these or what food I could pair with them. Thanks in advance, and feel free to broaden this if you think all Islays, Highlands, Speysides, etc... should be enjoyed at a certain time.
sgsoloplayer

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 pm

No rules for me - I drink what I want, when I want it. It could be Ardbeg for breakfast, Glenfarclas for lunch and Ardbeg again for supper!

What's available at the time has a lot to with it.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:05 pm

I agree with Paul. Anything anytime... Just as long as I feel for it. The mood sets the whisky.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 am

I love a dram on a weekend morning after sleeping in and having a long, hot shower. Most of the time I can't pour a dram until after 11 p.m., which ain't half bad either.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:32 am

After lunch is my favourite time. I look at my bottles and listen what they have to tell me; then I choose.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 am

In keeping with the responses above, I will drink what is on hand at whatever time I may be able and in the mood. I have had some great experiences with Ardbeg at 11:00 in the morning even though it is classified by MJ as "a bedtime malt."
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 am

My favorite moments of the day for the first dram is about half an hour after I return home from work, and for the second dram about half an hour after diner.I usualy keep the smokier drams for after diner.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:14 am

Any time is dram time :D
Though I prefer to end my working day with a good meal and a few good malts. I tend not to drink during the day - although with autumn leaves starting to fall and damp, misty weather upon us, there is a great tempatation to take an Ardbeg 10 in to the shed with me 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:35 pm

Yes, I agree that any time of the day would be OK.

I myself drink a 'light' whisky like Glenmorangie 10 in the afternoon when we have visitors (and the others are drinking wine). Later in the evening I have an Islay like Lagavulin or Ardbeg.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Jobi » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:35 pm

My favorite time tends to be after getting home from work and before eating dinner.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:53 pm

When I finish my Dinner in the evening so any time after 7pm usually.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:52 am

If I drink too early in the day everything else becomes an effort, so evening is when I start jonesing for a dram.

The exception is when i go to London/Soho for a voiceover or meeting...and find myself seeking samples at Milroy's or the Vintage house...

I mean, YOU try standing in front of their big locked glass case full of bottles, none under 300 quid, with the Black Bowmore centre stage going for 4 grand, and NOT fancy a dram, even if it's only midday!!

BTW Ardbeg 10 and HP 18... GRAND way to start a whisky career!

MJ is right in describing a certain malt as a "bedtime dram." He just fails to point out that that doesn't mean it's not good at any other time!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:24 am

It's a mood thing for me. As long as you drink what you're in the mood for, no matter what time or whatever it is. I find I enjoy the whisky, whichever it is, even more when I stick to this. And it's interesting to find yourself drinking the same whisky, at a completely different time or day than another time, then you know you're right on with the mood.
Di Blasi

Postby sgsoloplayer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Well, had my first taste of the Ardbeg 10 last night. I liked it and disliked it at the same time. I think I just need a bit of time for it to grow on me. I must say, it was so intriguing, because it is very complex. I will definitely keep tasting the 10 because I think my mood was not right for it last night and that is why I disliked it mildly.

How much water do you put in your scotch when you started out? This is my first Islay and I must say it was a very "in your face" kind of taste. I did enjoy it without any water at all but I'd like to try it with as well.

And ANOTHER question haha! What temperature do you serve your scotch at (usually as I know some heat it for very cold days) and how do you ensure it stays that temperature? I live in Southern California in a horrible little apartment with no air conditioning, so it gets hot it in here.

Thanks guys look forward to your responses!
sgsoloplayer

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:34 am

Any time of the day for me but usually right after work and until bedtime.

I love to food match. I find islays are good with seafood dishes and later in the evening, nice spicy highlanders are good with curry and mexican, sherried and ported whiskies are good with cheeses and desserts, lowlanders can be nice with salads and chicken, and so on.

No water added here and room temperature only.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:57 am

sgsoloplayer...is that by any chance "sg" as in "solid Gibson?" Are you an aspiring guitar hero?? Check my name! I am the originator of "BLEGGAE" music, where Peter Green/Jimi Hendrix meets Marley...

Ardbeg 10. Personally, i never have it with water.

While getting acquainted with tastes, try alternating sips of your dram of Ardbeg(neat!) with, say, a gentler sweet whisky poured simultaneously, such as Glenmorangie 10, or a good sherried malt, over the course of an evening. You'll be amazed!

I once spent a very pleasant evening writing a song with a strong islay dram of either Ardbeg or Lagavulin(Ardbeg's islay neighbour) and a 12 Y.O. Glenfarclas. Each seemed to highlight the qualities of the other...and 2 more different whiskies you won't find.

Your dislike will turn to like...but discovering which to drink when is a mood/intuition THANG! Enjoy the jouirney...

And, you lucky b***er, you live in Southern California! I just sent an email to my guitarist genius friend in hollywood who is a devotee of Ardbeg 10, thanks to me, and had NEVER drunk any whisky before! He was strickly a brandy man...

I love California! But no air conditioning!! Write yourself a hit, man, for God's sakes!... and BTW the warmer the temp. in my experience, the sweeter the whisky tastes. Anybody else find this to be true?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:13 am

I've never heard of Bleggae but it sounds like I should as I enjoy Hendrix and Marley. I play bass, a Rickenbacker, or I did when I used to have time for such things and used to love playing the bass lines from that era.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:26 am

Harry - I invite you to check out my website - http://www.timhain.com Click on the album icon and follow the trail til you arrive at a site where you can check out my version of "The Wind Cries Mary."

Just got in from a gig and enjoying a mini of Highland Park 18. A rare treat. Full bottle too expensive for a muso like me...which is why Ardbeg Ten is such amazing value.

I often overdub bass parts - I use a Fender Jazz with loadsa compression, but a "Ricky" was the best studio bass I ever borrowed. So even sounding.

Whatever you do,play , or taste, enjoy this life. No matter how much you pay for a rare whisky, Life, each breath, is priceless.

One last Laphroaig and i'm off to bed...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 am

Shit! Drinking Ardbeg in a hot un-air conditioned apartment in Los Angeles could be dangerous!! Be careful sgsoloplayer! Temperature, setting, mood and so many other factors play such a serious part in enjoying the whisky, glassware too! Practice, and see what works best for you.
Di Blasi

Postby sgsoloplayer » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 am

ya its a bit of a drag living here (i'm a college student so cant do much else at this point because all my money is spent on scotch and my ducati). Tonight I opened my Johnnie Walker Blue Label and definitely love it! I'm waiting on the Highland Park for tomorrow night probably. What I've noticed about scotch... blends like Johnnie Walker are a great laid-back sipping drink that are very enjoyable. Single malts can be used for sipping as well but they are definitely (in my opinion) more complex and have more character than the blends. I like them both very much for different reasons.

I had some more Ardbeg 10 tonight and ate italian salami, bread, and cheese with it. Great combination! The salt in the salami tasted great with the Ardbeg and made it definately mix with me better. Just sad that room temperature is around 80 degrees farenheit right now haha. I really do envy you guys in Europe. I really admire your lifestyle and hope to visit soon. Anyway, I'm rambling, had a bit too much scotch! I'll come check in in a little bit.
sgsoloplayer

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:44 am

What a great combo of food with the Ardbeg Ten! I too love, and will actually crave, nice things like that when I'm sipping whisky. And not too worry sgsoloplayer, I'm sure some people over here in Europe are perhaps a bit jealous your apartment is so warm in October, as it must mean you've got sunny skies and nice warm days still. It's cooling off now over here.
Di Blasi

Postby sgsoloplayer » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:30 am

Yes, I actually sat at the beach today (I live 1.5 miles away) and watched a surf competition. So I suppose we always want what we cant have huh? Haha well I'd definitely like to come visit. I love motorcycles and all the British magazines have wonderful pictures of these incredible trips they take. I'd love to come for a month or so and just ride all over and drink scotch whenever I wasnt riding.

Back to the scotch though... when we say "room temperature" its all relative. What would you guys recommend for "room temperature"? 73 degrees farenheit? If my whisky is a bit hot, is there any way I could cool it down?
sgsoloplayer

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:56 am

Even in the height of summer at 36C (must be around 94F) I drink my whisky as it is. If I want a cold drink I'd rather pour a nice lager than ruin some good scotch with ice cubes but that's just my opinion.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby pouranother » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:17 pm

Im also of the mind that Ardbeg is an excellent A.M. malt, I particularly enjoy it when it accompanies a hearty, smoky breakfast on a cold day. Dalwhinnie also makes an excellent spring/summer A.M. malt. Other than those two preferences mood dictates more so than time of day.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:35 pm

sgsoloplayer wrote:Back to the scotch though... when we say "room temperature" its all relative. What would you guys recommend for "room temperature"? 73 degrees farenheit? If my whisky is a bit hot, is there any way I could cool it down?

Last week I poured a whisky into a just cleaned glass, and unfortunately the glass was still warm when I did so. So I put the glass of whisky in the fridge for a few minutes to get the temperature back to normal. Yes, what's normal? Room temperature in Norway is almost tropical, not what I'm used to really. It can be up to 26-27 C, enough to make you put on some shorts. Being from California, room temperature I guess is about 68F, 20C. However you like it it's best!
Di Blasi

Postby sgsoloplayer » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:39 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:sgsoloplayer...is that by any chance "sg" as in "solid Gibson?" Are you an aspiring guitar hero??

You got me! The SG stands just for SG (a type of gibson as I'm sure you know). I actually just use it because it has been my email address for probably 7 years and its too hard for me to have a bunch of different names for different forums and such. I play guitar off and on now, but love playing bass. I have a Warwick Thumb 5-string (which I got for a hell of a deal) and like to play it if I do gigs, but still play guitar as a hobby. You'll have to tell me where I can hear your music, I would love to check it out!

For those of you who like food pairings with your dram, what do you recommend? Maybe a good BBQ with the Ardbeg? Etc...
sgsoloplayer

Postby Marvin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Highland Park for breakfast. :twisted:
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:49 am

SG - try my website -www.timhain.com - click the icon for the album "one man went to Mojo" anfd follow directions to preview the tracks. Check out my version of hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary" - it'll amuse you! Blues and reggae go together like...Ardbeg and a good friend!

Not big on whiskies snd food - i tend to drink 'em on their own - usually undiluted, unless i;m in a restaurant and I'll order the best that they've got.

...but i do recall particularly enjoying a sherried macallan with chocolate dessert.

Guitar - wise I'm a Strat man. They don't break - a nig plus when you gigalot! Never owned a Gibson that didn't have a cracked neck from a (previous owner's)accident! It took Jimi alot more energy to destroy a Strat than it took Pete townshend to mash up an SG...

Bt as Keith Richrds once said of the Stratocaster: "I can't understand people like Hendrix who'd wanna break one of these - I'd sooner kill somebody!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby sgsoloplayer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:18 am

hahaha wonderful! I'll have to check it out tomorrow, its about 3:10 am here and I just finished putting all my guests to bed (we partied a bit hard). Of all the fenders to have, Strats are definitely the one I'd chose. I bought my dream guitar about a year and a half ago, a Cherry Red Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition with cream and gold hardware. Not only does it sound like heaven, but to look at it is a slice of heaven. Only 275 were made so I'm glad I picked mine up when I did. Blah blabbin again. Ended up drinking near a full bottle tonight (not all scotch, thank goodness that would have been squandering it!) so I'm pretty ripe right now. Think I'll hit the sack before I pass out on the keyboard
sgsoloplayer

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:23 am

ahhh...to be young again. My 3:00 am days are now a distant memory.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder