Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jameson Gold???

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Jameson Gold

Jameson Gold???

Postby Jacques » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:56 am

Can anyone tell me if you know this bottle?? I am fairly new to Single Malts and found this bottle in my collection that I received as a gift.... also is it good?? any word on price??
Thanks
Jacques

Postby kallaskander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:30 am

Hi there,

it is an Irish blended whiskey which does not contain single malt. The flavour giving whiskies in it are called pure pot still whiskies and they are not 100% malt but a mixture of malt and unmalted barley. The rest is grain whiskey.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000017571

http://www.classicwhiskey.com/whiskey/jamesongold.htm

Just two examples.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:01 pm

It depends on what you like, but I think this is a very good whiskey. It is made from pure pot still and grain whiskey, the youngest of which is about 8 yrs, although the whiskey they are using is getting older.

Some of it is matured in virgin oak, which gives it a bit of a punch.

It was produced for the duty free market originally (specifically the Japanese one), but it will be soon relaunched in a different bottle for a wider market.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Thanks!!

Postby Jacques » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Oh... Thanks for the info... thought it was a single malt... oops..!! I'll give it a try sometime..
Jacques

Postby Jobi » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:29 pm

I agree that this is a very good whiskey. My brother pulled out a bottle to toast me with before (and again after) my wedding. Really enjoyed it. I wasn't aware that it was being released to a wider market. Good to hear.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 am

Hi Jacques, don't get too caught up with the term 'Single Malt' as a rule of thumb for being the best whisky. Quality blended Irish whiskey is on a par with many Scotch malts if not step above.

It is without a doubt that Scotch Single Malts rule but don't let that blind you to other great experiences.

These would include the following excellent whiskies, Jameson Gold, Jameson 12yo, Jameson 18yo, Midleton which are all potstill based and much richer and luxurious than regular Jameson and of course Blackbush from Bushmills which is circa 70% malt based.

And also Redbreast & Greenspot which are amazing pure pot still whiskies. But at the end of the day it's all down to your own personal taste.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Jameson Gold

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder