Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1990 - Airigh Nam Beist

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Ardbeg 1990 - Airigh Nam Beist

Postby duckmcf » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:24 am

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick thread starter about Ardbeg's new 1990 Vintage Beist-y.

Has anyone here tried it yet?
What's it like?
Any idea when it'll be available from Ardbeg.com? (The reason I ask is that's my only source of the more rare and unusal Ardbegs from here in Australia)
How many cases are they releasing?
etc. etc.....
duckmcf

Re: Ardbeg 1990 - Airigh Nam Beist

Postby Whiskana » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:27 am

duckmcf wrote:Hi Everyone,

There is already a few threads - this for one:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4526
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Re: Ardbeg 1990 - Airigh Nam Beist

Postby duckmcf » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:56 am

Whiskana wrote:
duckmcf wrote:Hi Everyone,

There is already a few threads - this for one:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4526

Sorry about that.
duckmcf

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:10 pm

It's good! As the tasting nose says, vanilla ice cream, yes for sure, really nice!
About the Ardbeg.com, weird they are the last to release it, where others have been selling it already for almost a month. I would expect Ardbeg.com to be the ultimate site for info and shopping for Ardbeg, not word of mouth or other shop. Anyway, duckmcf, get a bottle if you can.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 pm

I tried a dram or two of it recently. Not bad - slightly restrained, but signature Ardbeg nonetheless.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 am

G'day Noel,
From one Melbournian to another...welcome to the forum! :wink:

Have you contacted Ardbeg and asked them who sells/distributes in Oz??

Just out of curiosity...what stores in Melb. do you normally buy from?
Cheers and great to see a fellow Aussie here!!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:05 am

Hi Noel & Bar Items,

Actually, I should have elaborated....

I recently attended an Ardbeg launch by Moet Hennessy here in Sydney, and the Beastie was one of the bottlings featured, so I daresay it shouldn't be too long before you see it start to turn up in some of the better stores in Australia.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby duckmcf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:03 am

Hi Lads,
The Beastie soon to be available in Aus! That's Fantastic!!!!!

We Aussies have been left to our own devices for far too long when it comes to the extended ranges from Ardbeg, Laphroaig, etc., etc....

In the past to get a bottle of Ooogie, Very/Still Young, Serendipity, Quatercask, Laphroaig Cask strength, etc., etc., I've had to pay the 20 quid per bottle delivery fee that the old Kiln and friends of Laphroaig charge to get a bottle to Aus.

The good news is that more and more (here in Victoria) I’ve been seeing these sorts of expressions available in local bottle shops. Dan Murphy’s in South Yarra, Richmond, Glen Iris and Brighton have suddenly got loads of good stuff, even Port Ellen 2nd, 3rd, and 4th releases. Last weekend I visited Nick’s in High Street Armadale and they also had loads of good stuff available and even had a few on tasting! After sampling a few malts I picked up a bottle of Macallen Thirties, staggered home and put it away for an all too infrequent raining day.

Great stuff......
duckmcf

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:28 am

We Aussies have been left to our own devices for far too long when it comes to the extended ranges from Ardbeg, Laphroaig, etc., etc....

All about to change... :D and obviously for the better.

Since I started my venture(about 12 -18 months ago), I have noticed more and more drinks companies wanting to enter the Oz market both with new products and products that have been available in other markets for sometime...
Finally these companies are starting to listen to the consumer and release these products here...for example(and asking on a retorical level, aswell as actually asking the question)...would Diageo have released Port Ellen 1st Ed. here on it's initial release...another 'question'...would the first release Black Bowmore have made it here into a retail store for an Australian consumer to get hold of??

I can say that we will start seeing the Oz market having allocations now. Australia would probably be second in growth, behind China on our intake and demand for premium liquor(Scotch, Bourbon, etc...)

Dan Murphy’s in South Yarra, Richmond, Glen Iris and Brighton have suddenly got loads of good stuff, even Port Ellen 2nd, 3rd, and 4th releases. Last weekend I visited Nick’s in High Street Armadale and they also had loads of good stuff available...

The perfect areas for these whiskies to sell!! Although on saying that there are areas in Vic developing a status that the same of the suburbs mentioned above.
Areas such as Lillydale out East and Gisborne out North....

All in all it's great to see more and more consumers going for the likes of these premium bottlings and appreciating liquor on a whole different level.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder