Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan Fine Oak 8 & 12 YO

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan Fine Oak 8 & 12 YO

Postby Xavier » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone tasted this Italian 8 YO yet ? Is it in any way comparable to the 12 YO ?

Xavier
Xavier

Postby lucabeer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:39 am

I have!

I think that it's not that far from the 12yo.

There was much more difference between the previous "sherry" 7yo and the previous "sherry" 12yo, than there is between the Fine Oak 8yo and the Fine Oak 12yo.

I am not crazy about the Fine Oak series, but the 8yo is actually quite drinkable. Think of Balvenie 10 but less rich and honeyed.
lucabeer

Postby Xavier » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Me and a couple of other malt lovers tasted both last weekend. I must say I was a little disappointed in the 8YO. It has that slight feinty smell I really don't like in most (too) young whiskies.

I really liked the sherried Macs and was quite surprised that I liked the 12YO FO too.

Why do they like those young malts so much in Italy ? Strange...

Greetz
Xavier
Xavier

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Maybe they go well with Italian food. :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:39 pm

You know, they like Grappa in Italy as well! ;)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby lucabeer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Xavier wrote:Why do they like those young malts so much in Italy ? Strange...

Strange indeed. I am Italian, and I don't like these overly young malts too much.

The problem is that the brands always pushed these young single malts as an alternative to blends... and as such, meant to go with ice. And with ice, even an immature malt can be drinkable.

It's also a matter of economics: when you sell a bottle of JW Red at 13 Euros, to attract people towards single malts you have to ask for a comparable price. And Glen Grant 5 and Macallan 8 are in the same price league (15-17 Euros).

That said, I don't absolutely despise young malts: a well peated young whisky (like Very Young Arbeg) can be very good to my taste.
lucabeer

Postby lucabeer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Bullie wrote:You know, they like Grappa in Italy as well! ;)

Again, I tend to hate grappa... and I am Italian! :D

Not the food either: after some of the Italian food that I like (pasta, lasagne, risotto with mushrooms/pumpkins/cheese, melanzane alla parmigiana, ecc. ecc.) I think that a heavily sherried malt goes just great.

To give you an idea, in my cupboard now I have:

Talisker 18
Talisker 20 sherry (1981)
Laphroaig 15
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Glenfarclas 15
Glenfarclas 105
Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Convalmore 29yo 1977
Aberlour 1995 Port Finish Wilson & Morgan
Longmorn 1990 Rum Finish Wilson & Morgan
Ardbeg 26yo 1974 Silver Seal
Linkwood 12 Flora & Fauna

plus several unopened bottles in the same league...

No "typical Italian malts", as you can see!
:)
lucabeer

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:42 pm

OK, started the Fri evening whisky sesson a little early. And just had my first dram of the Macallan 8yo Fine Oak. My first impression is that it is amazingly light on the tongue. But not in a disappointing way that the Black Bottle 10yo "dies" in the mouth. The second thing that struck me was the honey taste, especially in the finish. I never noticed that before in a Macallan, even the FO series. Though I am just starting with this bottle, I am at least initially inclined to think that this makes for a good "warm-up whisky." That is, something to waken the tastebuds before you turn to your more substantial drams for the evening. If someone is looking for a light and very affordable whisky then they might want to give this a try. If the choice is between this Macallan and another of the cheap Italian single malt/blends then I would pick the Macallan.* No, it is not a great whisky and if you have an additional 20 euros then you certainly could find better whiskies out there. All this is to say that I think there is a place for the Macallan 8yo Fine Oak for the budget conscious whisky buyer.

* Prices will vary throughout Italy, the supermarket I went to sells the Glen Grant 5yo for 10.00 and the Macallan for 19.00. IMO this is worth the extra 9.00 euros.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder