Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Opinions on PORT ELLEN 1978 6th Release?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Port Ellen 6th Release

Opinions on PORT ELLEN 1978 6th Release?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Just curious about what you think about this one? It will be released this November in Norway and I'll probably buy it anyway but doesn anyone know how it compares to other releases?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Opinions on PORT ELLEN 1978 6th Release?

Postby Bullie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Just curious about what you think about this one? It will be released this November in Norway and I'll probably buy it anyway but doesn anyone know how it compares to other releases?


Out of the six releases it ranks no 3. Third and second release tops the list in my notes... :) Just about 92 points. But then again, only one release ends up under 90 points. You can't loose with this series. :D

You'll be able to read my notes at PeatFreaks site in some days, for all six releases.
Bullie
Gold Member
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:29 am

Thanks Bullie - looking forward to your Port Ellen reviews on Peatfreak's site! The only OB I've tried is the third release Di Blasi kindly let me taste - and I think that's the best whisky I've ever tried! The sixth release will be very nicely priced here in Norway, actually cheaper than the GBP 125,- Royal Mile Whiskies charge for it.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:26 am

Spoke recently to the staff of some well-known whisky establishments in UK, and both said its a cracker, very good.

On which release has been the best, the most common references I´ve come accross are that 1stt and 4th are the best. Go figure..but more importantly, nobody has said that any of them would be weak or poor in quality.

1st has pretty much ran out, I believe - it is available, but for very high price at London´s whisky exchange. I gather 2nd and 4th especially are also in very low stocks, but I guess this varies from country to country.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:36 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Thanks Bullie - looking forward to your Port Ellen reviews on Peatfreak's site! The only OB I've tried is the third release Di Blasi kindly let me taste - and I think that's the best whisky I've ever tried! The sixth release will be very nicely priced here in Norway, actually cheaper than the GBP 125,- Royal Mile Whiskies charge for it.


Great to hear! Looking forward to this one too, and what a great price for us here in Norway! Hopefully it will help bring some other prices down a bit, as there are a few out there a bit pricey over here. Yes, the 3rd Release was excellent!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Di Blasi wrote: Hopefully it will help bring some other prices down a bit, as there are a few out there a bit pricey over here.

....that wouldn't be DL would it.... :P
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:19 pm

Yes, those bottlings are a bit pricey aren't they. But also the Springbanks and Longrows. And I wonder why the new 100 Proof Longrow will be cheaper than the regular 10y, especially when the tax here is on the alcohol percent???
Any idea how many bottles of the Port Ellen will come over??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:30 am

Di Blasi wrote: But also the Springbanks and Longrows. And I wonder why the new 100 Proof Longrow will be cheaper than the regular 10y, especially when the tax here is on the alcohol percent???

The differences in prices is because when a whisky is accepted as "standard selection" at Vinmonopolet they can spread the costs over many bottles as all or many of the stores will keep it in stock. If the whisky isn't accepted in the standard selection it will be available through order only. The importer will thus have to calculate usual costs and the cost of sending the bottle as "A-post" . It is a requirement from Vinomonopolet that any customer - no matter where he is situated in Norway - must have the opportunity to take delivery of the goods within two days (or something like that) . This is also why a cask strength whisky in the standard selection becomes more expensive than an ordinary 40/46% whisky that doesn't belong in the standard selection.
Any idea how many bottles of the Port Ellen will come over??

I'm afraid I don't know. Not too many I guess considering how small the norwegian market is.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:45 am

Good info Christian, thanks, makes sense! One question about what you said...
"This is also why a cask strength whisky in the standard selection becomes more expensive than an ordinary 40/46% whisky that doesn't belong in the standard selection."
Did you mean the opposite here? An ordinary, lower alcohol strength whisky not on the standard selection can be more expensive than a cask strength whisky??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:56 am

Di Blasi wrote:Good info Christian, thanks, makes sense! One question about what you said...
"This is also why a cask strength whisky in the standard selection becomes more expensive than an ordinary 40/46% whisky that doesn't belong in the standard selection."
Did you mean the opposite here? An ordinary, lower alcohol strength whisky not on the standard selection can be more expensive than a cask strength whisky??

Ooops - you're right of course! A cask strength whisky on the standard list can be cheaper than a standard strength whisky available through order only. :oops:
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:05 am

Thanks again Christian! I've heard there are also certain restrictions on how much the importer can price his imported whisky. Is that true? Or are they free to price it how they see fit when it goes onto the standard selection?
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:09 am

I don't know - maybe Arve knows? He's working in the business as far as I know?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:10 am

Yes, true, haven't seen him around lately, and my pm to him some time ago has yet to be picked up. Anyway, great news Port Ellen 6th Release is coming to Norway!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Related whiskies : Port Ellen 6th Release

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder