Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Re - barrel?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Re - barrel?

Postby solera » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:28 am

Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question, but has anyone taken a nice, young bottled scotch and dropped it into a high quality oak barrel for a few years to see what happens? I realize that a barrel different from the original could wreak havoc on flavours, but it is an intriguing idea.

Any thoughts?
solera

Postby Admiral » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:41 am

I have a vague recollection we discussed this notion about two or three years ago.

I believe someone here once asked, "Could you improve a crappy blend or a less-than-ordinary by malt by giving it some extra maturation in one of those small little oak casks?"

If I remember correctly, I believe one or two correspondents suggesting that, yes, some small improvement was noted, but it is an exercise in patience and luck.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Re: Re - barrel?

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:36 am

solera wrote:has anyone taken a nice, young bottled scotch and dropped it into a high quality oak barrel...

I actually took a poll of a similar subject...
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3241

This hobby is something I quite enjoy, although the time factor in completing a project is a little long... :?
Again, once my license(liquor) is issued I would like to be able to offer the barrels filled...You order a barrel in the size of your choice and then it's filled just before it is given to you.
There are a number of wineries(at least in Australia, don't know if others around the globe do it?) that have bulk port for this exact purpose...You simply take in your empty barrel and the winery fills it with the port.

I think it's an excellent concept, not to mention a great conversation point, when you fill a couple of glasses of your re-barrelled liquor(port, scotch, bourbon, etc...) and serve it to your guests after dinner(for a minimal charge of course...LOL :lol: )

I believe a member from the forum here, Di Blasi, has a Blender's degree...maybe they can offer some suggestions for liquor brands that can benefit from some extra ageing or finishing...??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:45 am

Here is another thread with regards to this subject...
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60049

Cheers!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder