Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

HOW TO DATE A BOTTLE

All your whisky related questions answered here.

HOW TO DATE A BOTTLE

Postby Kilost » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:14 pm

Can anyone possibly tell me how to get an exact date on a bottle through the markings?
Kilost

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:31 pm

I know this topic has been covered before, but I am unable to find it in a quick search. I believe the precise codes will vary from company to company.

Don't you love it when someone answers a question here with a bunch of folderol that amounts to "heck if I know"? Hang in, Kilost, someone will be along shortly who actually knows something.
Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:52 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I know this topic has been covered before, but I am unable to find it in a quick search. I believe the precise codes will vary from company to company.

Don't you love it when someone answers a question here with a bunch of folderol that amounts to "heck if I know"? Hang in, Kilost, someone will be along shortly who actually knows something.

Sorry Kilost - I'm not one of the someones who knows something, but I do love the word folderol, and will try to include it in many conversations this weekend.

I learn so much from this forum :D
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

bottle

Postby richard » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm

having spoken to a friend of mine there is a way but you try finding somebody to tell you it seems to be a closely guarded secret

i believe you can go back to the early eighties but i am not sure

it would be nice to know

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:24 pm

I have never dated a bottle.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I have never dated a bottle.

There was that girl on the last UK series of "Big Brother"..... :shock:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:47 pm

Or twirled one, either, I bet.

Would someone please answer this poor lad's (or lass's) question? It's his first post! He must think us mad, quite mad indeed.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Or twirled one, either, I bet.

Would someone please answer this poor lad's (or lass's) question? It's his first post! He must think us mad, quite mad indeed.

Think this is mad? He/She should try the word association thread on Whisky Chat... :roll:

:idea: On a serious note (for once) I'd suggest making a note of any printed markings on the bottle/tube and emailing or writing to someone at the distillery/bottler. I've never felt the need to do this but I expect they would keep a record of batch numbers etc. It would just depend really on whether they have the time/inclination to help.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:43 am

In the UK, it is easy ..ish.

Upto 1980 bottles were 26 2/3 flozs, then changed to 75cl. EU rules changed this to 70cl in around 1991/2.

All dates are approximate
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:54 am

Theer are ways to date the glass (by looking at size and production method and the compounds, but probably even more) and the paper used for the labels as well.

but then it can still be a fake whisky where they used old paper and an old bottle, so you'll need to get the whisky checked out as well.

I'm not into collecting but more practically into whisky ;) , but I've understood it is possible to have the whisky checked out as well. Naturally that means some will need to be extracted from the bottle, which might devalue the bottle (needle through the cork with all the risks involved doing so for example)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:57 am

You could try taking it to the antiques roadshow, you might even get on the telly.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:53 am

I could be wrong, but I don't think we're getting at the question. Correct me, Kilost, but I think you are asking about label markings, or numbers stamped right on the glass, on general release bottlings, so that one could tell, for example, if this bottle of Talisker was bottled in 2005 or 1998. Someone has addressed this, and if no one answers here, I'll look again later for the pertinent thread. One thing I remember is that the numbered day of the year is usually involved, so that, for example, if a bottle was bottled on New Year's Eve, you would see the number 365 (unless it was a leap year!).

If, on the other hand, you are trying to date antique bottles, the other lads are on the right track. I think in that case there will be no one answer, as the markings bottlers use will have changed many times over the years.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Hi and welcome!

I really can’t help you out with all bottlings but remember this one concerning Ardbeg/Glenmorangie!

The following is from Leither posted in Q&A: “Uigeadail” and dated Sept 22, 2006!

“Okay, I think I can help you crack the code which many bottling lines use.

For bottlers such as Glenmorangie, and other Broxburn area bottlers, at the bottom of the bottle the glass is feintly etched with a code, quite tricky to make out but legible in good daylight.

I'll use an example to explain - my currently open Ardbeg TEN OB, bought earlier this year reads L5 284 21:29 4ML. This means it was bottled in the year 2005, on the 285th day of that year at 9.29pm that day. The final few digits I think are basically translated as 'Ardbeg'.

So, L1=2001, L2=2002 and so on, followed by the next number being the day and then you have the time. This helps the bottler with quality control etc.

Diageo use something similar, and easier to read in black etching above the back label - eg my open Caol Ila 12yo OB reads L5310CM000, ie year 2005 310th day and I think the CM000 must stand for Classic Malt.

Anyway, my Uigeadails (all unopened, 1 finished which was one of the best bottles of whisky ever) are as follows:

L4 068 12:26 4ML - this one says 'BOTTLED IN THE YEAR 2004' on the back label and refers to 'a special vatting of 1993... and many older sherry casks'. Flip-top box.

L4 315 11:11 4ML - no mention of bottled in year XXXX and no longer reference to specific casks other then 'a special vatting of different syles of Ardbeg' but does mention 'tones of old ex-Sherry casks'. Perhaps implying less older stock in the mix? Again a flip-top box.

L5 347 07:23 4ML - as above wording, no mention of year, but no flip-box, the box is as per TEN OB.”
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:33 pm

That's what I was looking for! Hope it's what Kilost was, as well. Presumably M1 will be the year 2011, although whether 0 is at the beginning of the run (L0=2000) or the end (L0=2010) is another question. One might infer that this system has been in place since 1891, since that would be A1, but that seems doubtful!
Deactivated Member

Postby Kilost » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:24 am

Well I have gotten some good advise but this peticular bottle of Cutty Sark is completely nake other than the US ATF TAX Stamp that hasn't been used for nearly 20 or so years from what I have been told. I also have a Bottle of METAXA 5 star that I am trying to date as well. I have looked over the bottles and found nothing that would even indicate the age or date produced. I will keep looking, and thanks to everyone for the help.
Kilost

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:21 pm

I think you all are missing the point. To answer the question, on how to data a bottle. First bring it flowers. Than, make sure to complement her, perhaps tell her about her lovely "neck" about her floral sent. And always treat your date with respect. :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Kilost » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 am

Well I have tried the flowers and the compliments but she just doesn't seem that interested maybe I will move to her sister and see how see likes that. Then she'll open up!
Kilost

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:44 am

Kilost wrote:Well I have tried the flowers and the compliments but she just doesn't seem that interested maybe I will move to her sister and see how see likes that. Then she'll open up!

When the restraining order arrives, stop trying.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:41 pm

TheLaddie wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Or twirled one, either, I bet.

Think this is mad? He/She should try the word association thread on Whisky Chat... :roll:

:idea: On a serious note (for once) I'd suggest making a note of any printed markings on the bottle/tube and emailing or writing to someone at the distillery/bottler. I've never felt the need to do this but I expect they would keep a record of batch numbers etc. It would just depend really on whether they have the time/inclination to help.

Yes, the distillery is usually helpful when you write them. If you don't give them all of the bottling information they need, they'll write you back wondering about more helpful information. Try it, report back if it works or not. I've also had good luck in doing this with the bottlers. It's surprising how quick they respond!
Di Blasi

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks for that Di Blasi! I have never written to a distillery in part because I never thought that it would do much good! It is both gladdening and encouraging to hear that others have had experiences of prompt responses to customer questions.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Yes, it was almost a shock to me too, not only that they wrote back, but so quickly!!! It tells you how the industry is: friendly, professional and interested in what their customer's interests are.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Kilost wrote:Well I have tried the flowers and the compliments but she just doesn't seem that interested maybe I will move to her sister and see how see likes that. Then she'll open up!

When the restraining order arrives, stop trying.

The voice of experience? :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:51 pm

les taylor wrote:You could try taking it to the antiques roadshow, you might even get on the telly.

:)

Or Cash in the Attic with Lorne Slicer. I remember an episode where someone had a fine collection of Bells miniatures and other spirits - around 100 miniatures in all. They got about forty quid for them which was a step closer to their dream holiday (or whatever).
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 am

and .....

...... a ring dumma do damma da
whack fol the daddy 'o

My two cents worth
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder