Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SMWS BOTTLE GLENMORANGIE FOR FIRST TIME

All your whisky related questions answered here.

SMWS BOTTLE GLENMORANGIE FOR FIRST TIME

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:30 pm

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) launches its first ever cask-strength, single cask bottling (cask 125.1) of "Glenmorangie" tomorrow. The cask yielded 197 bottles.

A good investment ?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Drink it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Tattie

I could do that of course. But what I want to know is if its likely to be an investment.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 pm

Sorry, I'm being a little snarky! I can't really answer that--I've never heard of SMWS bottles being very collectible, but this is an odd circumstance, isn't it? Still, what I meant to say is that I think you shouldn't worry about that, and drink it. Hopefully someone will come along with a bit more insight into your question.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 am

I think in the long run that this cask/bottling will have a slightly higher price that the other two on the list, the SMWS released 3 casks in the Christmas list. I'm more than a little surprised that they did not bottle a 30 YO in the 3

The only thing that makes them exceptional is that that Glenmorangie held out for so long and that it's the only IB of Glenmorangie in the last number of years (fill in your own number.) Also that they own the SMWS. However I suspect they are quite good and will find out in due course how good they are. Shopping tomorrow early AM!

In the long run I think SMWS bottlings will demand a premium but not at an investment grade level. I am not an investment type nor do I play one on TV.

Mr. T please stop being snarky. Please start again on the 13th.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 am

What! A week without being snarky?!? Oh the humanity. I hope you never visit such a sentence on Nick--he'd implode!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:08 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:What! A week without being snarky?!? Oh the humanity. I hope you never visit such a sentence on Nick--he'd implode!

Ha! I managed a month without whisky, you can manage a week without Mr. Snarky. (a close cousin of Mr. Picky).
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Snarkiness is in the eye of the beholder.

I have ordered my bottles as the tasting notes were so inspiring. Hope to get to the Vaults this evening to try drams. Will report back.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Lawrence wrote:...
The only thing that makes them exceptional is that that Glenmorangie held out for so long and that it's the only IB of Glenmorangie in the last number of years (fill in your own number.) Also that they own the SMWS. However I suspect they are quite good and will find out in due course how good they are. Shopping tomorrow early AM!
Lawrence

Is it really an IB though? LVMH owns the Vaults and Glenmorangie so it is not really that independent, at best an arms-length owner's bottling. This is the same as a Murray & McDavid Bruichladdich (casks chosen by Jim McEwan, big surprise!), a Gordon & Macphails Benromach or a Chieftains Glengoyne. All are distilleries owned by independents.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:52 pm

You're right, of course, Harry; it's a weird gray area. What do we call, then, bottlings of other distilleries made by MMcD and SMWS? Bruichladdich Caol Ila? Glenmorangie Glenglassaugh? (Wasn't that a play about real estate?) I think we just accept that if it's in the form of an IB, it's an IB. If it walks like a duck....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:54 pm

But does it quack like a duck?
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:12 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:You're right, of course, Harry; it's a weird gray area. What do we call, then, bottlings of other distilleries made by MMcD and SMWS? Bruichladdich Caol Ila? Glenmorangie Glenglassaugh? (Wasn't that a play about real estate?) I think we just accept that if it's in the form of an IB, it's an IB. If it walks like a duck....

The LCBO calls them just that, "Bruichladdich Highland Park", "Bruichladdich Bowmore"...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:44 pm

That's right! I remember seeing that in LCBO inventories. They probably search out under Islay, too.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:15 pm

Wow does 125.2 sound great! I'd definitely buy a bottle or 2 or 3 to drink, and yes, perhaps one to save and perhaps invest in. I'd think with prices increasing for almost all whisky, and the market growing, perhaps the SMWS bottlings will too, and become collectable. Especially since they are exclusively for members only. And what you save in yearly member fees for not joining, you can afford to spend in increased collecting prices. Time will tell.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 am

Hi gang,

I can help shed some light here.

The SMWS bottled six casks of Glenmorangie just last month (or was it September?). The first three were kept for the UK membership, the second three were made available to the international branches. All six were bottled at the same time, so even though 125.1 may numerically be the first SMWS bottling of Glenmorangie, it is by number and badge only.

The bottlings may be still be considered as an IB, as the Society is an independent organisation from Glenmorangie, even though both now fall under the overall umbrella of Louis Vitton Moet Hennessy.

What you may not be aware of is that the SMWS had been endeavouring to bottle Glenmorangie for quite some time, but the samples they were receiving were not up to the quality demanded by the Society's tasting panel. At last, samples were submitted that scored highly, as these came from special casks - not the run-of-the-mill refill ex-bourbon barrels. The quality and the taste of these bottlings speak for themselves. They are truly tremendous examples of how good Glenmorangie can be.

I don't believe 125.1 will attract any additional investment value. SMWS bottlings don't seem to attract investment appreciation, and, as I said above, the other five casks were all bottled at the same time.

CHeers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info Admiral, and clearing that all up! Makes me wanna get my hands on a few now even more.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Cask 125.1 - 13yo 51.2%

N: orange, bacon, lavender, varnish, grapefruit, tobacco?, fruitcake
T: sweet, orange, cream soda, toast, milk chocolate, vanilla, pine
F: varnish, vanilla, floral, fruit, grassy, cherry, strawberry jam, swiss roll, toast, coffe creme chocolates

Cask 125.2 - 11yo 53.5%

N: pine, varnish, orange, lemon, sherbet, strawberry, grapefruit
T: sweet, honey, lemon, vanilla, grassy, floral, varnish, grapefruit, pear and grape with time
F: light, sea breeze, toastm, drying, bitter, vanilla, sweet lemon, sherbet, malt, cream soda, bananas, warm spices

Cask 125.3 - 13yo 53.3%

N: varnish, orange, salami, coffe creme chocolate, cherry
T: very sweet, ice cream, vanilla, violets, hot orange, cream soda, viscous, toast, apple snow, more vanilla
F: vanilla, sea air, sweet citrus, slight bitterness, toast, floral, banana, iced jam sponge, lemon

Of the three, I thought the 125.2 was slightly weaker. The tasting notes don't convey the sense of journey - the flavours on the taste and finish follow sequentially and go on for ever. The 125.1 and 125.3 are really very similar (and the 125.2 isn't very different) but they are all absolutely stonking. I thought they were more citric (albeit sweet) than the SMWS tasting notes.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:56 am

Dear Eelbrook, can you pls. tell me if you tasted the dram...???id you buy it.. can you tell me where I could get a bottle...
Thanks
Jacques
Jacques

Postby Admiral » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 am

I hope Eelbrook moved quickly - Cask 125.1 sold out in just 2 hours!! :D

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder