Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnny Walker Green Label

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Johnny Walker Green Label

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Hello,

I am pretty new to Scotch. My grandmother (Scottish) was a big scotch drinker. She was an alcoholic single malt snob. I remember bottles and bottles of Glenfiddich at her house. When I was young (and underage) I remember trying a sip of it (fiddich) and hating it, which makes it weird that I am here now.

The other day my sister's boyfriend brought over a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label, and after sampling that I found it quite enjoyable.

I'd like to try the green label and will most likely buy a bottle but could any of you tell me the history behind green label? What exactly is a pure malt? Also, what you guys think of Green Label if you have tried it?

Thank You
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:30 pm

The green label has been around for around a decade. It is Diageo's opps should be .... Johnie Walker, range.

The range is ..

Red Label JW ........ rough as a badgers ar$e
Black Label JW ........ drink of the gods
Green Label JW ........ JW's only ALL MALT whisky
Gold Label JW ...... smoother than a mink codpiece
Blue Label JW ....... a very nice drink, good to have, but worth the money?

To be honest, Green Label is an all malt (or vatted) blend. The beauty of JW is that it is a blend, a blend of grain and malt. That is its 'raison d'etre', its reason for being. Please dont buy the green JW, buy a decent single malt, buy a similar Speysider malt such as Craganmore, Glen Elgin etc.

But some JW Black label, a drink that is fantastic (me being a malt man at that). To enjoy it at its peak, place a bottle in the freezer for at least 2 or 3 days with 2 or 3 shot glassess.

Bring the bottle out at the last minute and pour the syrupy whisky into the frozen shot glasses.

Trust me, I dont put ice in whisky, but I do freeze JW Black label.

Enjoy!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:01 pm

I agree with adogranonthepitch as to going with a decent single malt like maybe one of the components of JWG. Caol Ila, Cragganmore, Linkwood and Talisker which make up JWG are by themselves as single malts a good starting point into the world of great whiskies! 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Andrew_Toronto » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:15 pm

Red Label JW ........ collage poker game whisky...ok for mixing.
Black Label JW ........ much better than the red, drink with 1 ice cube while smoking high grade marijuana.
Green Label JW ........ A decent vatted malt. I actually like it but for the 50-60 bucks there are much better singles you could buy (bowmore 12, laphroaig, the balvenie come to mind) or spend the extra money and get a compass box vatted. very nice.
Gold Label JW ...... need to try this one again...been a while.
Blue Label JW ....... truly outstanding blend...worth the money? no, but a darn fine drink. Looks great on you bar.

freezing the black or red (or gold as they tell you to do in the ads) will thicken them and take away the harsher alcoholic notes...mostly its a ploy to make mediocre whisky taste nicer. Cold will unnecessarily dull a great whisky.
Andrew_Toronto

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Interesting that there is a discussion her of the JW range because one of our supermarkets (Asda, part of Walmart) is selling JW Green Label for twenty quid at the moment. I thought it would be worth having a bottle in the cupboard in case someone wants a glass. Of course at some point I'll be so curious that I'll have to open it.

Anyone know what it tastes like?
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:13 pm

I've tried it many times, but I'm sure you don't want the opinion of a kilt wearing, haggis eating, hopeless blue collar barbarian scumbag! LOL :wink:
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:I've tried it many times, but I'm sure you don't want the opinion of a kilt wearing, haggis eating, hopeless blue collar barbarian scumbag! LOL :wink:

The Roman Emperor might not but I do :D

Roger
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:39 am

The range is ..

Red Label JW ........ rough as a badgers ar$e
Black Label JW ........ drink of the gods
Green Label JW ........ JW's only ALL MALT whisky
Gold Label JW ...... smoother than a mink codpiece
Blue Label JW ....... a very nice drink, good to have, but worth the money?

You left two off the list:

Johnnie Walker Swing
Johnnie Walker Grey Label

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:59 am

That's interesting, is JW Grey a new product?

I did a google search and couldn't turn up anything.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:34 am

No, it's been around for a couple of years, but I gather it is an ultra-limited bottling for an ultra-limited market.

I haven't seen a bottle in real life, only a photo, and a reference to it here & there.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

WOW

Postby Jacques » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:35 am

I have had all the Johnnies... Red, Black, Green, Gold, Blue, Swing, Premier... but I have never heard of GREY... Pls,. if anyone know where to get one... pls. tell me...
Thanks
Jacques

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder