Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Benriach Authenticus 21yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Benriach Authenticus 21yo

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:25 pm

This is a lovely tipple - or should I say rather very powerful, robust and youthful for all of its 21 years.

Right after opening the bottle, I took a whiff - heavily smoked fish, charcoal came to mind! After pouring the dram, I nosed it properly. Some honeyish notes interlaid in the whisky, but phew - powerful peat and smoke! Beautiful stuff. Adding water helps to release sweetness, honey and heather. Can't say more than that I am amazed of the youthful power of this whisky, whilst recognizing that it does show complexity brought on by its age.

The finish is, to say the least, Looongg...drying, oily smoke and phenols.

Hats off to BenRiach, the new owners deserve a hand of applause for releasing such peauties! A Speysider phenolic as anything...rather astounding.

Rather looking forward to sampling some of the single cask BenR's I managed to acquire recently. Authenticus is here to stay, in my whisky shelves that is. Got three more coming soon..

Any Islay fans? Try this for PEAT and SMOKE!!!! Whisky rocks, err, this one does!
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Have you tried the 10 year old Benriach and have you had the Ballantruan?

Ballantruan is heavily peated Tomintoul.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 am

Evening, tried the 10yo Curiositas. It was heftily peated, but a tad overpoweringly so. Youthful and a bit one-note.

Didn't think it was as well structured as the Authenticus, but a peat/smokemonster, oh yes!!

Haven't tried the Ballantruan sadly as yet.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder