Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker, Gold Label.

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which is better in your opinion, Johnnie walker Green or Gold label?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:24 am

Green
23%
Gold
77%

Total votes : 13

Johnnie Walker, Gold Label.

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:24 am

Hello, it trying to decide between JW green and gold label.
I only drink Whisky on the weekends. (Wine through the weekdays)
Any Johnnie Walker Gold Label fans here? Or Green fans?
I want to select a signature drink and even though I will sample both, I would like some of your views on either one before I make my final choice.

Thanks
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:29 am

Very different whiskies in my view. The Gold Label is silky georgous and the Green Label is lively fruity!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:56 am

So what made you vote for the Gold instead of the Green?
Also Frodo, didn't you do a review of the Green Label? If so could you post a link to it.

Thanks
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Jacques » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:34 am

I can tell you that I am a very big blend drinker.... I do drink alot of Gold Label as well as Buchannan's 18 which compete directly even though they are owned by the same company (Diageo)... in my opinion, The green, is very smooth and light.... as per the gold, it is rich and some what smokey..
You could not go wrong with the Gold Label... it's excellent
Jacques

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Elagabalus wrote:So what made you vote for the Gold instead of the Green?
Also Frodo, didn't you do a review of the Green Label? If so could you post a link to it.

Thanks

For me, there are a ton of whiskies like JW Green, but few with the taste profile of JW Gold. Apart from this, JWG is a nice whisky and appropriatly priced, but...nothing special pops out of my mind when I drink it. A bit rough, but good flavours - about what I expect @ $55 cdn/bottle. Everytime I try JWG I think to myself "why does this have to cost so much". Good whisky with wisps of greatness that is priced what the market will take (read: no bargain).

I'm not sure if Jan copied my reviews of anything into the tasting notes. If he did, I'm not sure how to post a link. I would do so if I knew how.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:32 pm

Yes it must be close to 70-80.00Euro in Ireland if you can get it. Jameson do the same with their 18yo blend but I don't think there worth it. I'm waiting for a bottle which I got from Whisky auction for 30.00 Euro. It's the only way that I'd try something like that if I get it for half pice 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:30 am

It's interesting that you talked about Jameson 18 in this thread. I consider Jameson 18 and JWG along the same lines - silky smooth whiskies that are a bit overpriced. Really nice though!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:28 am

Elagabalus wrote:So what made you vote for the Gold instead of the Green?

Frodo wrote:I'm not sure if Jan copied my reviews of anything into the tasting notes. If he did, I'm not sure how to post a link. I would do so if I knew how.

You did review JW Green at some point - I have included it in the blends post. (But are now realizing that this is wrong, as it is a vatted malt. Will move it eventually.)

The link is http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=148
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Ah - thanks Jan!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:52 am

Frodo wrote:It's interesting that you talked about Jameson 18 in this thread. I consider Jameson 18 and JWG along the same lines - silky smooth whiskies that are a bit overpriced. Really nice though!

Yes. Very annoying all right to have these realy nice blends on the market yet you know they are over priced. I mean you can buy a Glenlivet 18 or a Glenmorangie 18 much cheaper ??? Just does not make sence ????
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:21 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Frodo wrote:It's interesting that you talked about Jameson 18 in this thread. I consider Jameson 18 and JWG along the same lines - silky smooth whiskies that are a bit overpriced. Really nice though!

Yes. Very annoying all right to have these realy nice blends on the market yet you know they are over priced. I mean you can buy a Glenlivet 18 or a Glenmorangie 18 much cheaper ??? Just does not make sence ????

Ovr here, JWG Glenlivet & Jameson 18 costs about the same...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:23 am

I guess my initial reaction is that I cen get the Glenmorangie 10 cheaper...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:05 am

It's gass the difference in prices worldwide :roll:

I can get ....

Glenfiddich 18yo 60Euro

Glenlivet 21yo 80Euro

Jameson 18yo 100Euro :evil:

Can't seem to source a Glenmorangie 18 locally but could get it from the UK for about 70Euro.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder