Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 14 roasted malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie 14 roasted malt

Postby Vange » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:45 am

where can this be purchased and for what amount in USD?
I have had no luck finding it for purchase in the US.
Vange

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:55 am

I bought mine at the distillery. Don't know if it's available in the US at all, although I bought the NewWood, another fairly limited release, at Federal in Boston.

Where do you live?
Deactivated Member

Postby kiltrock68 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:00 am

you got it here too. But i dont know if they ship to the U.S., just ask them!

http://www.whisky.fr/fiche_produit.php?id=13878
kiltrock68

Postby Bulkington » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:09 pm

And how is it?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I bought mine at the distillery.

Did you sample before you bought?
I'm normally a great fan of Balvenie and trust Dave Stewart's nose, but I wasn't blown away by the 17yo and the Rum fininsh seems to be getting mixed reviews.
I'm tempted by the Toasted but not quite sure about buying before trying. Gimme a clue?
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Short version: get it, it's worth it.

Long version: I recently sampled every official bottling up to the 25 for a hobby project I'm working on and this one hits the jackpot. It is to date the best Balvenie I sampled. If you wish I can post the complete review of the Balvenie to see how it compares, but I guess it would be a long read and you would have to wait untill the Toasted oak is completely reviewed (Just started on this one as it is very new, the others were completed months ago, so this was an excellent surprise). As for similarities in personal preference, like you, I too was dissapointed by the 14Y Rum finish, however the 17Y old New Wood was in my opinion not bad at all, it provided what it promised: The Balvenie honey alongside new wood influences.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Sounds a bit like the Glenfiddich 12 year old Toasted Oak. Does this new Balvenie involve extra charing of the casks?? That is the proces for the new Toasted Oak from Glenfiddich, and I was quite UNimpressed by that one.
Thomas H.

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:12 pm

From Whisky Tastings, What are you drinking now?, 6 Nov (weren't you paying attention?):

MrTattieHeid wrote:I am having a second go at the Balvenie 14 Roasted Malt, this time in my favored snifter (last night was in a Glencairn; the snifter suits my weak nose better). Typical orangey Balvenie notes, with some bitter burnt tones--quite nice, actually. Marmalade on buttered, and slightly burnt, toast. Strong finish--again, bitter and burnt--just back of the middle of the tongue. I really like it, and would like to do hth with the 15. And it happens I have a 10/12/15 mini set sitting on my desk, leftover from the last ice age! Will do that later this week.

The Balvenie is wonderfully complemented by a pint of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, a seasonal that comes out right around this time every year. It is my consolation every year for having to come home from Scotland. Tawny color, to the heavy side of a middleweight IPA with strength to match--around 6%, I think--and wonderfully bitter. What a great match.

I think the burnt/bitter notes will turn some off, although they are not so strong as I may have made it sound. I really like it, anyway, and am dismayed to see how fast the bottle is draining. It strikes me as more "Balvenie" than the PortWood, by far--a variation on the theme rather than the disco remix. Not as far out on the limb as the RumWood, either, I think. No, Crieftan, I did not taste it first--unlike many here, I am, I guess, perfectly happy to jump into the deep end without looking sometimes. I get the odd nasty surprise (where'd that octopus come from?), but to me it's all part of the fun. I know people who are on a tight budget and only have one or two bottles going at a time want to be more careful, but I have enough good bottles to choose from here that I can absorb the occasional disappointment. All part of my ongoing education.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Tom -
What a very pleasant project. I must try the same sometime :D
I'm quite tempted to go for the Toasted and your short version seems to confirm my instinct.
I'm planning a visit up there soon and hopefully I'll get a try of it then.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Thomas H. wrote:Sounds a bit like the Glenfiddich 12 year old Toasted Oak. Does this new Balvenie involve extra charing of the casks?? That is the proces for the new Toasted Oak from Glenfiddich, and I was quite UNimpressed by that one.

No, it's the malted barley that's roasted, not the the casks. My guess is that it's a batch that got overkilned while the lads were watching the footy!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:34 pm

TH -
Sorry - missed your very fine note first time around. :oops:
I think given you and Tom's opinions, I'll just order a bottle (maybe two - it's my birthday on Friday :P ) Still planning a visit to Dufftown though :wink: .
Might have to have a trip down to LFW as well - better let Mrs C know we're going on a secret road trip :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby lading » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 pm

Tom
I recently sampled every official bottling up to the 25 for a hobby project I'm working on and this one hits the jackpot.

Tom
If you wish I can post the complete review of the Balvenie to see how it compares

Yes, that would be interesting....
lading

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:20 am

Crieftan wrote:TH -
Sorry - missed your very fine note first time around. :oops:

That's okay--I know not everyone lives here, as I do!

Crieftan wrote:I think given you and Tom's opinions, I'll just order a bottle (maybe two - it's my birthday on Friday :P )

Happy birthday, fellow Scorpio! We're the sexy ones, you know. 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 am

Hi there,

http://www.balvenie.com/shop/roastedmalt.html

"Balvenie 14yo ‘Roasted Malt’ (47.1%, OB, 34 casks, 2006) Made out of malt that’s been dried more heavily than usual and matured in firstfill bourbon. Colour: deep gold. Nose: powerful and slightly spirity at first nosing, with again this kind of dryness that’s quite unusual with Balvenie. Again quite some oak, toasted bread, flour, paper… Rather austere. Something chalky and green (apple skin). Just hints of honey and apricots… Not easy-easy, that’s for sure. Mouth: it’s getting a little better but there’s too much wood again here. Not exactly pencil sharpener juice but we have lots of tannins besides a little coffee (un-sugared) and notes of young rum. It does get better after a few minutes, though, rounder and sweeter (crystallized oranges, black nougat) and rather nicely spicy (cloves, nutmeg, black pepper). Alas, the finish is still quite drying and bitter, with lots of old walnuts. Better than the 17yo but I think Balvenie’s core range is so much better! 78 points."

The evaluation is from whiskyfun, Serge Valentin. Could not find the link at the moment.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:24 pm

I added a new topic to the Whisky Tasting forum concerning the Balvenie review. lading, the Roasted malt is not yet included, give me a week or so to finish it and I will update the post.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Happy birthday, fellow Scorpio! We're the sexy ones, you know. 8)

Oohh yeaaahh 8) 8) 8)

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby mumike » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:03 am

Were you able to find a bottle of the Roasted 14? If so, would you mind pointing me in the direction of where one could be found and shipped to the middle of the US? Thanks!
mumike

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder