Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

laphroaig older bottlings

All your whisky related questions answered here.

laphroaig older bottlings

Postby ckennedy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:43 pm

hmmm - new to single malts and already laphroaig takes my vote! (at least for one to have in the collection that is - and to use of course)

I plan to get a few older and/or indpendent bottles - the problem is once you start searching - there are quit a few options with several bottlers. plus all the diff years.. new and old.. I do know that it seems the older vintages may have more of the laphroaig attack in them.. When I say older - I am not just talking of "age" of the bottle - but older bottlings!

As for the 30 yr old - anything I need to know as for one batch year over another??

1988/15 yr 46%signatory
20 yr 55+% caledonian cast
signatory bottling 1999
1991 12 yr cadenhead cast
etc
etc

then $$$$

OB 10yr 43% in 1980's or the 30 yr old!

** if you where to get one $200 - 300 bottle of laphroaig for a gift to yourself - what would you get??

** as for the 50 - 100$ .. any comments??

I know it all comes down to ones own taste/etc.. I am just wondering about the possible mistakes of buying the wrong "bottle" when the one next to it was much better by votes/general aggreements/etc... get my point! ie: one offering/flavor falling apart while the one offering next to it comes togather making it a good batch/etc!

thanks
ckennedy

Postby corbuso » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:12 pm

In the independent, I haven't tried so many so far, but I found the MacArthur Islay 1992 excellent, as well as the 1842 Islay from Cadenhead (bottled 2004). They offer a very good quality/price ratio.

Corbuso
-----------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:03 pm

I've got a couple bottles of the 20yo Caledonian cask strength. It's a nice dram but doesn't have the peaty, smoky medicinalness of the younger ob bottlings. The Laphroaig Cadenheads I've tried (12 & 13yo's) have been excellent! A couple other IB's I have and tasted is the 14yo Signatory Unchillfiltered and a 14yo Murray McDavid, both are from 1988 and both are very good IMO, though I seem to like the Sig a little better (not by much!). :D

** if you where to get one $200 - 300 bottle of laphroaig for a gift to yourself - what would you get??

I don't think I'd ever spend that much for a Laphroaig unless it was a special casked strength bottling from the distillery.
I save that kind of big bucks for Port Ellens! :lol:

** as for the 50 - 100$ .. any comments??

Laphroaig Quarter Cask & Cask Strength, and when in Scotland, a Cadenhead!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby ckennedy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:28 pm

I have been trying to find a cadenhead in the US - can't find one.. any leads??
ckennedy

Postby Wave » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:45 pm

ckennedy wrote:I have been trying to find a cadenhead in the US - can't find one.. any leads??

Unfortunately no, Cadenheads doesn't ship to the US any more and haven't for at least the last 5 or 6 years, though you can still find an odd bottle here and there. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby ckennedy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:13 am

ok walking out the door - but

of the port ellens - any pointers.. seems to be a handful in the US via serach engine!
ckennedy

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 am

I have a Douglas Laing OMC 17yo Laphroaig that is wonderful.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:32 am

ckennedy wrote:ok walking out the door - but

of the port ellens - any pointers.. seems to be a handful in the US via serach engine!

Scott's Selection and OMC are good. The only one I'd recommend staying away from is Connoisseur's Choice, because of the low abv.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
ckennedy wrote:ok walking out the door - but

Scott's Selection and OMC are good. The only one I'd recommend staying away from is Connoisseur's Choice, because of the low abv.

Scott's Selection - is that an american IB?
Btw, I second your opinions on Connoiseur's Choice.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Scott's Selection - is that an american IB?

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/independent ... ection.htm
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:16 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Scott's Selection - is that an american IB?

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/independent ... ection.htm

Thanks for the link Mr T. I thought it was an american IB because it seems to be quite common in the states judging by the posts on this forum. Maybe Scott's has a good distribution over there?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:17 pm

Maybe Scott's has a good distribution over there?

Yeah, atm Binny's has about 40 different Scott's Selection bottlings (all casked strength) including a couple Port Ellens.

of the port ellens - any pointers..

As mentioned above, the Scott's Selections are good and one of the least expensive PE's here in the US is the Signatory Port Ellen 1979-22yr Old (most places at about $130). I've gone through several bottles this Sig '79 as it is very good and very hard to walk by an open bottle without having yet another sample. Mmmm Mmmm!

Cheers!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:33 pm

For those looking to purchase Cadenhead's, you could always try Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, CA. This is a store you can intend to be in and out in 5 minutes. An hour later you're still trying to pull yourself out.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder