Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Can whisky be clear?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Can whisky be clear?

Postby sgsoloplayer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:26 am

Hey guys, my neighbor has a bottle of "whisky" that he bought somewhere in Asia while in the military. Inside it is a real snake... yes a real dead snake. The first thing that threw me off is that the liquid is clear. Is this possible? I tasted it and it did not taste like anything I've had before. He is by no means an enthusiast, just an alcoholic haha. The label was in some other language so I have no idea what it says. Oh, by the way, the liquid had snake scales in it. yuck!
sgsoloplayer

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:34 am

perhaps it was snake bite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:36 am

It can be clear - J&B -6 is. It's a nice blend too. Just chill filtered at a very low temperature (-6, I guess :D).

However that snake embalming fluid is doubtless not whisky. I think you're brave to drink it. Sounds filthy.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby scotch4ever » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:42 am

All whisky or whiskey starts off as a clear liquid. In fact if distilled correctly the whiskey or "clear spirit" is more transparent than water. Whisky gets its colour from the wood. The more dark the colour than higher instance of either wine or spirit caramel being added to the whisky to colour and/or flavour the whisky. Yes, if one used a wine cask it does both colour and flavor the whisky which is more influence than just the wood. I wonder if the EU will make distilleries label "wine" in addition to "spirit caramel" as an additive on the label? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
scotch4ever

Postby kallaskander » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:43 am

kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby sgsoloplayer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:18 pm

bamber wrote:However that snake embalming fluid is doubtless not whisky. I think you're brave to drink it. Sounds filthy.

hahaha ya it was actually a bet (not for anything, I guess just my pride) made when I was drunk. It didn't taste like much and I would definitely not drink it for enjoyment. Well, cant tell for sure if the liquid is whisky... kallaskander, it wasn't any of those that were on the website, although somewhat like those. I thought it might be from thailand
sgsoloplayer

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:16 pm

I was in a pub in Glasgow a couple months back and a crew came in doing a survey on that actual drink. Asked me if I'd buy it ad I just laughed. Stating that a colourless whiskey gives me the inpression of not being aged therefore having no worth while taste. I asked if I could try it to make a proper decision but they had none to offer :roll: so I had to say no I would not buy it on looks alone.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm

That Manx "whisky" was clear too, wasn't it. I had some and though it was ok, quite malty.

I think it was scotch whiskey, brought to the Isle of Man and treated in some way to make it clear.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:21 pm

It was called whisky when I had it, but they had to change the name subsequently. I believe there was a discussion here about it a few years ago.

Here's a link I found. http://www.manx-spirit.com/manx.htm
Aidan

Postby Wave » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:47 pm

I've had real White Lightning aka Moonshine that was absolutely clear and extremely powerful. Taste? At almost pure alcohol, who could tell?!!! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm

I think the word "whisky" is used a little more loosely in Asia than the SWA would like. We know, for example, that "whisky" made from molasses is common in India. We wouldn't regard it as whisky at all. I don't know what your snake oil is, but I suspect likewise that it isn't anything we'd call whisky.
Deactivated Member

Re: Can whisky be clear?

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:23 pm

sgsoloplayer wrote:Hey guys, my neighbor has a bottle of "whisky" that he bought somewhere in Asia while in the military. Inside it is a real snake... yes a real dead snake. The first thing that threw me off is that the liquid is clear. Is this possible? I tasted it and it did not taste like anything I've had before. He is by no means an enthusiast, just an alcoholic haha. The label was in some other language so I have no idea what it says. Oh, by the way, the liquid had snake scales in it. yuck!

Are you sure it's not (bottom shelf) Tequila with a really big worm? :)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Whisky is clear before it is aged in casks.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Marvin wrote:Whisky is clear before it is aged in casks.

Though, being pedantic, if we're talking scotch it cannot be termed "whisky" at all until it has been aged for 3 years in oak cask.

Strictly speaking then, spirit can be clear, but (proper) whisky cannot be. :roll:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:25 pm

TheLaddie wrote:
Marvin wrote:Whisky is clear before it is aged in casks.

Though, being pedantic, if we're talking scotch it cannot be termed "whisky" at all until it has been aged for 3 years in oak cask.

Strictly speaking then, spirit can be clear, but (proper) whisky cannot be. :roll:

I expect it could be if you got casks that were very white wood.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:49 pm

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:37 am

In a previous thread Aidan mentioned Laotian Snake Whisky--probably not exactly what you have (see color note below), but maybe similar.

The thread: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... nake#45743

Follow his link, and you will find this photo:

...and this tasting note:

Colour: muddy brown, with greenish-yellowish hints
Nose: earthy, grassy, herbal tea
Palate: first more herbal tea, then turns very bitter and utterly foul and disgusting
Finish: uuuuhhhmmmm, I couldn’t get myself to actually swallow it …..
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder