Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Port Ellen 19 year old, Old Malt Cask Bottling. Notes please

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Port Ellen 19 year old, Old Malt Cask Bottling. Notes please

Postby dram_time » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Lucky enough to recive a 50ml bottle of Port Ellen 19 year old, 50%. Old Malt Cask by Douglas laing. Can’t be sure of distillation / bottling year.

Would like some tasting notes on this whisky, to compare against my own, if anyone has tried this specific bottling, or Port Ellen of comparable age.

Many Thanks.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:35 pm

I had a quick taste of this last year, just after the 18y version of the same. I remember preferring the nose of the 19y, but the taste of the 18y. And that was it, off to taste the next whisky, so I didn't have much time to ponder it.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:50 pm

Thanks, it's the taste I'm wondering about. I haven't had any old Islays before (Bowmore 12, Yuk. Ardbeg 10, Yum. is the oldest i have been,+ many <10's) Just trying to pick out some of the many flavours here.

Theres oily peat to start, then, well, seems to be detergent!! maybe its from my glass?? will have an extra rinse out with cold water tonight and try again. After heavy rain here, the chlorine levels in the drinking water seem to rise !!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Dougas laing has bottled a lot of Port Ellen from different ages and years. Quality varies from quite good to excellent.

You can have a look at http://www.whisky-news.com or http://www.whiskyfun.com to get some information.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks for the link corbuso,

Rubber, thats it. Not detergent as i first thought, but rubber. Like a brand new bike inner tube covered with chalk powder when you were a kid!!.

And very drying in the finnish. my pallate needs alot of work and hints to pick out these flavours, but thats the fun, right??

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 am

Yea, that rubber innertube nose I too have smelled recently, but can't remember what whisky it was. Interesting, not offensive, similar to the petroleum that's found in riesling.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:44 am

A friend of mine likened Talisker to burning rubber, like spinning tires. I've tasted bicycle inner tube in Fettercairn. The former I like a lot. The latter I don't.

Oh, and there's the CC Littlemill I had that tasted as if it had been matured inside a tire in hot weather. Worst malt ever!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:41 am

Di Blasi wrote:Yea, that rubber innertube nose I too have smelled recently, but can't remember what whisky it was.

There's plenty of "bicycle innertube" in Ardbeg Ten. It was the first single malt I found it in. It's an effect of phenols I believe as I've never found it in anything but smoky single malts - and the innertubes I used to patch up on a weekly basis when I was into mountain biking.

Interesting, not offensive, similar to the petroleum that's found in riesling.

That's an excellent example! Some may hate it but others will be intrigued by it and maybe even like it - as I do!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:32 am

I've tried both the 1982 and 1983 OMC bottlings of Port Ellen. Both were absolutely sensational Islay malts, and I was impressed enough to buy two bottles of each.

The cost of these PE's, compared with the OB releases, makes them all the more appealing.

(I tried the 5th release PE last week - bloody nice whisky! :) )

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder