Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker Awards

General chat and talk about whisky.

Talisker Awards

Postby Onefortheditch » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Read in the Press & Journal paper today that Talisker have done well in the International Wine and Spirit Competition. The results:

the 18YO won trophy for single malt over 15 years (regarded as the world's premier prize for malt whisky)
10YO won best in class gold medal
25YO won best in class gold medal
distillers edition won best in class gold medal
175th edition won silver medal

Well done Talisker!! :D :D

(And to think in the 60s/70s the distillery was a simply few guys working in a wee warehoose!!)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:34 am

I do like the 25y and 175th edition quite a lot. The 18y is also good, but the 10y nothing special. So straightforward, almost perfect with no surprise or anything special about it. Rather predictable, tame, and easy to drink and like. Again, good but nothing special.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:39 am

Nothing special? I beg to differ. Talisker 10 is as distinctive a malt as there is, amongst OB flagship labels. You may well prefer the 18, 25, and 175th, but to anyone who has never previously tasted any Talisker, the 10 will be anything but predictable and tame.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Nothing special? I beg to differ. Talisker 10 is as distinctive a malt as there is, amongst OB flagship labels. You may well prefer the 18, 25, and 175th, but to anyone who has never previously tasted any Talisker, the 10 will be anything but predictable and tame.

For folks not being big or well seasoned whisky drinkers, I think the Talisker 10 is easy to like and get introduced to. And sure they can look at it as something special. But for people that have tasted many different whiskies, like many of us here, it's a bit too normal, predictable, almost perfect, as it was made in a lab or something. For me anyway. It's just not stimulating enough for something so highly rated, in my opinion anyway.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:35 pm

Well, that is, of course, precisely that which imparts rotational velocity to the mudball on whose surface we dwell. But I do find your take on Talisker quite astounding, DB! You make it sound like some bland and anonymous Speysider.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm as enthralled with Talisker 10 as the first time I tasted it and always have a few in reserve. I would admit that the initial wow factor does deminish after a while because I'm used to it now but I still get full enjoyment from it. I still think it is a great (dare I say 'Classic') malt :wink: that is in no way bland or any more predictable than other regular bottlings from other distilleries.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:38 pm

I think I'm with Di Blasi on this one as I'm not too enthused by the Talisker 10 myself. It might have to do with the fact that I think it's surpased by some margin by other smoky malts like the ones from Islay. It is in my opinion not as good or characterful as a Caol Ila 12, an Ardbeg Ten, a Lagavulin 16 or a Laphroaig 10. Basically, all whisky is good - including this one - but it isn't very good (Christian runs for shelter..... )
Mr Fjeld

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:53 pm

As said millions apon millions of times here before it is a very personal thing and I can appreciate both of your apathy towards Talisker but I suppose what I love about Talisker is that it is a bridge between say an Irish pot still and an Islay for me.

As I'm a mood drinker and usually drink malt types in spats (sometimes sticking to peat monsters other times sherry monsters or Irish pot still style even bourbon etc) I often find at times that Talisker 10 is perfect for those in between moments :wink: but also offering something completely different at the same time.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:06 pm

That is exactly what's great with single malts; so many varieties and we all have personal favourites. I suspect however that Di Blasi and I belong to a minority concerning the Talisker 10. I do like the 18 much better though.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:04 pm

...and just to confuse things furthur, I prefer the in-yer-faceness of the 10 YO over the 18. Granted the 18 is a great dram, smoother and more refined than the 10, but sometimes we all like a bit o'ruff!

Let's say the 18 is like a classic tune from the 'Cool Ruler' of Lover's Rock, Gregory Isaacs, whereas the Ten is more 'roots/militant' , like Burning Spear or Black Uhuru from the Mykal Rose era.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:35 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:...and just to confuse things furthur, I prefer the in-yer-faceness of the 10 YO over the 18. Granted the 18 is a great dram, smoother and more refined than the 10, but sometimes we all like a bit o'ruff!

Younger malts are usually my preference too. Just not with the Talisker 10.
Let's say the 18 is like a classic tune from the 'Cool Ruler' of Lover's Rock, Gregory Isaacs, whereas the Ten is more 'roots/militant' , like Burning Spear or Black Uhuru from the Mykal Rose era.

I don't know the music you name but I think that in this case older is better - like tube gear against solid state amplification or vinyl compared to MP3. :oops:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 am

Exacctly Mr. Fjeld! I use tube gear myself onstage!

How bout if I said I prefer Eric Clapton in his years as an angry young bluesman with the Bluesbreakers, or his early time with Cream...as compared with "Wonderful Tonight?" which is a wonderful song...but doesn't exactly grab your nuts like the younger version...

By the way, I just finished a dram of Talisker 10 ...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:54 am

De gustibus non est disputandum!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:49 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Exacctly Mr. Fjeld! I use tube gear myself onstage!

That's so cool reggaeblues!
A bit on the side perhaps but still relevant to the older/new technology; when the Berlin wall fell and the western nations got access to some of the state of the art Mig fighter planes they were shocked when they found that the soviets had applied vacuum tubes (by then already 40 year old technology) in the electrical circuits....
...but it turns out that it was the only working solution to protect the planes electrical circuits from electromagnetic pulses by an atomic blast.
oh, and when applied to musical reproduction they sound much better :D
How bout if I said I prefer Eric Clapton in his years as an angry young bluesman with the Bluesbreakers, or his early time with Cream...as compared with "Wonderful Tonight?" which is a wonderful song...but doesn't exactly grab your nuts like the younger version...

Ah, that I can relate to.
By the way, I just finished a dram of Talisker 10 ...

I would like one myself right now...
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:14 am

Why would I want Eric Clapton to.... Oh, never mind.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 am

Oh, Mr Picky, I was referring to the MUSIC not the man himself, I mean why would I want EC to...oh never mind!

At least i'll be able to still play the blues if they drop tha bomb( according to mr . Fjeld's revelation re: Migs and toobs.)

Oh dear. Such disturbing thoughts so early in the day. If I wasn't babysitting today i'd reach for one of my bottles from north of the border to steady my nerves...but hey, it's only 10.15 a.m.

...which means there's only 7 3/4 hours 'til dram time. what'll I start with tonight? the Ardbeg? The Talisker, or something light and sweet like the Glenmorangie Portwood finish, or...

Shaddup you sad b*gger!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:17 pm

You never know, guys, until you tried it though :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder