Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

PORT CHARLOTTE 5 - TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

All your whisky related questions answered here.

PORT CHARLOTTE 5 - TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:38 pm

A while back, I asked my local retailer to look out for "PC5", never thinking for a moment that they'd get their hands on any.

Today, I received a call to say that there is a bottle "under the counter" if I want it.

But £55 is a lot of money for a malt that would probably be a touch too peaty for my liking.

However, should I still get it as an investment ?

I know I asked the self-same question before this whisky was released.

However, its now on the market and I've no feel for whether its selling well or poorly.
Deactivated Member

Postby duckmcf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:05 pm

If you're not interested in drinking it, leave it for someone who is.
If you're looking for an investment talk to your financial advisor.

Apologies if if that sounds harsh, it's just that when "investors" enter a particular market, "enthusiasts" then get pushed out. It's happened with Muscle cars, classic electric guitars and I'm sure whisky. I know it's market forces at work and it's just the way it is, but it's lamentable... </rant>
duckmcf

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:18 pm

My financial adviser is my wife. She advises to buy and put it in the cupboard for a rainy day far hence. Good enough for me!
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:52 am

Noel can I add to your observations...

duckmcf wrote:it's just that when "investors" enter a particular market, "enthusiasts" then get pushed out.

Here is a point to consider regarding the above statement...
- If you are to consider that investors generally have more $$ to spend on items and this 'pushes' out enthusiasts or makes it less achieveable for an enthusiast to purchase a limited release product(as this is I gather the main point to the topic??), that can be generally said to be true...
However it also works in favour of the enthusiast as if they happen to purchase a few of said items at a good retail price before retail stock is depleated, and then if they choose to sell/trade it at a later date, they have in turn achieved more for their original purchase...thus making them an investor :wink:
Or another way to look at it...If the enthusiast chooses to keep their said product and over time the item increases in value(speaking whisky of course!!) and the enthusiast consumes it at a later date, then as they are consuming a product of a higher value than when originally purchased, they have just become 'higher class'...

duckmcf wrote:It's happened with Muscle cars, classic electric guitars and I'm sure whisky.

Yes that is probably quite true...but if you look at it closely they, 'enthusiasts' and 'investors', without consciencely knowing it, work together in 'building' these markets and so forth...
Anyway just my observations... :D
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:16 am

Buy it! I would. I'd like a bottle. At 55£ a bottle I'd guess it's not only worth it, but will go up in price. And if it isn't, maybe you'll develop a liking of the smoky stuff eelbrook. Isn't this the first bottling??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:36 am

1. Don't buy it as an investment unless you are in the habit of buying whisky as an investment. Stay in your comfort zone.

2. Don't buy it in any case unless you are willing to drink it. If it turns out to be a bad investment, that's what you're going to do with it anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:14 am

It is way too much money for a 5yo whisky but I'm dying to try it so I'll have to buy it. Silly, eh?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Re: PORT CHARLOTTE 5 - TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Postby corbuso » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:05 am

eelbrook wrote:A while back, I asked my local retailer to look out for "PC5", never thinking for a moment that they'd get their hands on any.

Today, I received a call to say that there is a bottle "under the counter" if I want it.

But £55 is a lot of money for a malt that would probably be a touch too peaty for my liking.

However, should I still get it as an investment ?

I know I asked the self-same question before this whisky was released.

However, its now on the market and I've no feel for whether its selling well or poorly.

If you don't need these £55 and won't mind to keep several years (with the risk of breaking it or the level going down), then you can still consider it as an investment. But £55 is quite a lot for a 5 YO whisky and if you don't like heavily peated whisky, I would recommend you to buy something else that you might like.

I always tend to buy whiskies that I like, so even if I would not be able to sell them, I would still be able to appreciate it and thus the money well invested.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:17 am

Uhm, in my modest opinion what we really need are some tasting notes posted here(I read the ones on WF web site 85-86 if I remember well).
55 It's a bit expensive but if the product it's very good one might try it,
anyway the curiosity has its price so it's an individual decision to buy or not.As an investement I could be, it's the first ever official reelase and it's surrounded by great interest, but You've to wait time as usual...
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Leither » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:41 am

Depends how much you like Bruichladdich - I know PC5 is more of a south coast of islay style but I reckon it's way overpriced for a 5yo malt. Fair play to them though, I'm sure it will fly.

My investment tip (for someone in the UK like you eelbrook) is to go to Oddbins and buy some Ardbeg Still Young at £50 for 2 bottles. This should appreciate in value and at the end of the day if not, it's a bl00dy good dram at that price for someone who appreciates the young peated Islay style.

Ditto Ardbeg Oogy also on sale at Oddbins.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 pm

I suspect the current fashion for producing limited editions will pretty much kill the investment market for all but the premium brands. Collecting Bruichladdich seems to me to be a bit like collecting Franklin Mint. Some people do it while the rest of us snigger.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 pm

eelbrook wrote:My financial adviser is my wife. She advises to buy and put it in the cupboard for a rainy day far hence. Good enough for me!

With all do respect, than why ask us?
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:42 pm

I bought one with no help from anybody except my credit card company and parcel force.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:28 pm

Nice going les taylor! What are your plans with it? Save or drink? Let us know if you do taste it...
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:03 pm

Hi Di Blasi thanks very much. I will drink it. I've not yet decided when to open the bottle. I'm not one who buys with the thought of making a profit on it later. I love the history of malt and its variety. So this is for me and my family and friends to enjoy. Probably one sunday evening after a roast dinner sitting in the conservartary and enjoying the moment.

les.
:)
les taylor

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:09 pm

Oh for pities sake, just buy it. It's not as if you're going to be doing this everyday. At some point you should open it and drink it. It's look very inexpensive as compared to the old Ardbeg that showed up a while ago with the glass case and white gloves.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks for all your responses, both constructive or otherwise. Much appreciated.

By way of clarification, I started this thread before I "fessed up" to my wife about the PC5.

I have a degree of sympathy for the "drinkers" amongst you, who believe malt is to be savoured and not bought / sold like any other commodity.

However, we live in a capitalist economy, where demand and supply economics prevails.

And surely Bruichladdich themselves are more guilty of 'price hiking' than any investor. They can't justify a £55 price tag for a 5 year old single malt by reference to the quality of the whisky. But, if people buy it....

In England, it's the same with replica footie tops. If you want a plain synthetic red footie top, you can get one for £5. However, clubs put there names and badges on such tops and retail them for £40. Yet people buy.

Returning to whisky, the status of premium malts is often devalued at this time of year by heavy supermarket discounting. Many whisky writers consider this bad for malt. However, I don't hear many drinkers complaining.

There was one post though that struck a chord. That was to invest in something you like the taste of. That way, if it doesn't appreciate in value, it can be opened and enjoyed.

Any suggestions on how to spend £55 ?
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:40 am

Is that a "no" then eelbrook?? Are you not gonna buy it afterall?
Di Blasi

It won´t go away

Postby christenrisholt » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:25 pm

Frankly I do not understand your problem, for:

1. It´s not likely that a 5 year old whisky is going to be hard to get in the future, the intention of putting it out on the marked is to find out whether it suits the publics taste (like Boujolais wine). Its just a way of beeing able to sell the product earlier, at a higher earning rate. If it turns out to be a "seller", I would not worry about it beeing hard to get in the future.
2. If you want to taste it, first of all you should not listen to your wife, be a man and decide for your self. Furthermore if you really want to find out how it tastes, there´s only one way to find out.
3. Whisky is made to be drunk, not invested. One should never allow one self to own un-opened bottles.
:D
christenrisholt

Re: It won´t go away

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:28 pm

christenrisholt wrote:Frankly I do not understand your problem, for:

1. It´s not likely that a 5 year old whisky is going to be hard to get in the future, the intention of putting it out on the marked is to find out whether it suits the publics taste (like Boujolais wine). Its just a way of beeing able to sell the product earlier, at a higher earning rate. If it turns out to be a "seller", I would not worry about it beeing hard to get in the future.
2. If you want to taste it, first of all you should not listen to your wife, be a man and decide for your self. Furthermore if you really want to find out how it tastes, there´s only one way to find out.
3. Whisky is made to be drunk, not invested. One should never allow one self to own un-opened bottles.
:D

Agreed on all counts, heartily on #3! Sadly I suspect the reason why it is so expensive in the first place is because otherwise they'd expect to see chaps turn around and post them all on eBay. Will happen anyways I'm afraid.

£55 must buy you a few shares of something that's actually meant for investment!!!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:45 pm

It's a foolish man indeed who diesn't listen to his wife!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:59 pm

eelbrook wrote:It's a foolish man indeed who diesn't listen to his wife!

Yep, I too prefer to listen to a sensible person - may I add the only one in our home.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:38 pm

One guy's travelling down from Birmingham to Milton Keynes - a round trip of 120 miles - just to get his hands on a bottle of PC5
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:40 am

eelbrook wrote:One guy's travelling down from Birmingham to Milton Keynes - a round trip of 120 miles - just to get his hands on a bottle of PC5

And maybe trying to get away from his wife, who has suggested not to??!!! Might as well pick up a few bottles while he's at it!
Di Blasi

Postby bamber » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:34 am

I would not buy it at £55, to resell or drink.

However if you do plan to resell it I would do it now - before Bruichladdich release tons of the stuff.
bamber
Double Gold Member

PC 5 yo 55 pounds?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:11 am

eelbrook wrote:One guy's travelling down from Birmingham to Milton Keynes - a round trip of 120 miles - just to get his hands on a bottle of PC5

Eelbrook:
(60 miles doesn't even get you into the next town around here!) I would buy the PC at 55 pounds simply because it isn't available here and I'd like to try it. I wouldn't buy it for an investment but rather for something to sample and enjoy.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 am

Well, I personally believe that the PC5 will prove to be a good investment, but as with all 'collectible' whiskies, you should be looking mid to long-term. That means 5+ years!

As for 55 GBP, this is quite expensive. The price here at the moment seems to be around €69 (just under 50 GBP).
I personally have my bottle on offer on an auction site for €67 at the moment.
MT

(As for the "how dare you collect and not drink" brigade: It's thanks to collectors that some bottles are indeed saved and sold onwards later so that they are still available long after they would otherwise have vanished from the market.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I personally have my bottle on offer on an auction site for €67 at the moment.
MT

(As for the "how dare you collect and not drink" brigade: It's thanks to collectors that some bottles are indeed saved and sold onwards later so that they are still available long after they would otherwise have vanished from the market.)

Aahhhh! Now i know where i've being going wrong ! There was me thinking a collector was someone who bought whisky to put on a shelf so he can go to his friends "look what bottle i own " ......so now they put them on show on an online Auction not a shelf......D'oh !!!!! :wink:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:43 pm

There's a bottle on Ebay UK, with 8 days to go. Interesting to see how it fairs.
Deactivated Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:03 pm

I have noticed this website has some PC5 to sell.

Just doing my bit in tell you guys :)

http://www.whiskyandwines.com/product_info.php?products_id=929
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby misa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 pm

bamber wrote:I would not buy it at £55, to resell or drink.

However if you do plan to resell it I would do it now - before Bruichladdich release tons of the stuff.

Who would have thougth that Ardbeg Very Young would be so sought after after just a couple of years. There will be tons of the stuff(PC), only not in the way it is released now. I bought mine for mere 65 euros. Not bad for a (hopefully) good experience.
misa

Postby misa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:

Aahhhh! Now i know where i've being going wrong ! There was me thinking a collector was someone who bought whisky to put on a shelf so he can go to his friends "look what bottle i own " ......so now they put them on show on an online Auction not a shelf......D'oh !!!!! :wink:

Just let me have one of your adorable bottles of PC and I promise I´ll drink it straight away (Yeah,whatever). Sad to say, what i`d do, is but it on the shelf and make my friends envious. Shame on me!!
misa

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Yes, ASY is very good and a limited release. Even if they release a CS 8yo from now on, it won't be the 1998 vintage. Similarly, there won't be another 2001 PC5. Having tried the ASY I am getting another case now, before they run out... Will see what I think of the PC5 -- some have told me it is not so good but I really should decide for myself.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby misa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 pm

hpulley wrote:some have told me it is not so good but I really should decide for myself.

Harry

Shouldn´t have too big expectations , I suppose. Still I think it´s very much something worth trying.
misa

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:50 pm

I really enjoyed the 6yo Ardbeg so I thought 5yo might be OK. Will see what my nose and palate tell me. Hope it isn't an expensive mistake but only one way to know since even samples aren't to be trusted; I didn't really like the sample of ASY I was given but I got a case anyways and now I think it's great, go figure...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder