Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Inchgower Flora & Fauna

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Inchgower Flora & Fauna

Postby Simplicio » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:47 am

One doesn't hear much about Inchgower.

Has anyone tried the flora and fauna bottling?

On the label it says it is 'salty'. MJ appears to like it. Is it similar to anything else?
Simplicio

Postby Scotchio » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:06 pm

I've just tried an old Bell's mini of Inchgoiwer 12,it's certainly very interesting and by far the most overtly salty whisky I have tried.
In terms of weight it's close to Morangie 10 or Pulteney 12 but the salt element is much more full on,also quite peppery and dry. The finish is long salty and appetising.
This is quite an extreme whisky, a love it hate it type, whose distinctiveness could be a grower. It may be worth seeking out a 20cl sample
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:16 pm

nb Jim Murray describes the current FF version as sickly and oversweet which sounds very different to the Bells bottle I tried, he rates the older bottlings by Hart's Duncan taylor and Berry's significantly higher but they will also be significantly pricier!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Simplicio » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Hmmm ... I notice that that particular bottling (the Bell's) appears on Johann van den Heuvel's 'Shitlist' over at Maltmadness.

It strikes me, from the notes I've read, that a lot of the expressions appear to have been quite variable. And, as you say, there appears to be quite a spectrum of reactions. I'm also puzzled as to how the same expression can be called dry by Michael Jackson and sickly and oversweet by Murray. But perhaps that belongs on another thread.
Simplicio

Postby Scotchio » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:03 am

Simplicio,
I checked the bottling with the malt matrix. The one they dissed was the "de lux" version. There was also a 43%12yr they rated at 80pts. The one I tried was a 40% 12yr rated by one maniac only who gave it 89pts. I don't think I'd rate it that highly but it certainly wasn't shitlist material. All 3 bottlings regularly turn up on ebay as minis and can be had for less than £3. I'd certainly say the 40% botltling is worth a try if only as an excercise in recognising just how salty a malt can be !
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:10 pm

I had Inchgower 14 from the F&F range and it was delicious. Sweet and chocolatey.

I also had a great 1980 bottling from Adelphi. It's in my report here:

http://www.dufftown.co.uk/autumn_speysi ... n_2006.htm

If you can get it, or any other Adelphi bottle then do so
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder