Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does Taste change or is it me?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Does Taste change or is it me?

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:13 am

I keep my Whiskey in a closet, no sunlight and a dry place. However, I've noticed that some of them have changed tase since first opened. For example, my Laphroaig 10 , even just a few days later (from initial opening) seems to have lost it's salty sprite that I so significantly noticed upon my first dram. Is it just me?

ScotchPalate
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:25 am

That's my experience also. Ardbeg Ten loses some of its rubbery taste after a few days and other whiskies "softens" a bit. I think many on this forum has commented on it before and it strikes me that the change itself isn't nessecarily for the worse? Maybe whisky can be a little like wine; some oxidation is good?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:02 am

Sometimes the first dram is the best. Sometimes the last one is. It does change over time, once opened.

And then of course, if it's a whisky you've never had before, you can only taste it for the first time once.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:14 pm

And remember you own taste and impressions of a malt can change, depending on form etc
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Mood, too.
Di Blasi

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm glad to hear that whiskey taste can change with oxidation, even a little. However, I see how many things can effect or affect taste. Perhaps, what has been eaten earlier in the day, any slight bit of indigestion or reflux, you never get another FIRST taste, and, of course, my mood can affect how I perceive taste and other things...just ask my wife :D :lol:
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby lexvo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I often find the first dram of a bottle the best.

On the other hand, the first impression may make a stronger memory. I had this with my first bottle of Lagavulin 16. I remembered it being very very very smoky, but after some drams and another bottle I know it's only very smoky :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:58 pm

I usually find that the dram improves with a little breathing time. But it does often change sligthly throughout the whole period - sometimes for the better, but often a slight decline.

Depends alot on the whisky in my experience...
Jan
Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:27 pm

Yup, the Laphraoig 10 (for me) had an zesty salty iodine sprite to it at first dram. Just a few days later this has softened considerably :(
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 pm

I've noticed my bottle of HP12 has lost it's smokiness. However it has been open for quite some time......

Is HP12 matured in sherry casks by any chance?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder