Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Honey & Vanilla with no Bitterness

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby heatmiser » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 am

I have been a long time tequila fanatic and have recently started drinking scotch whisky with a few of my buddies. My favorite flavors in tequila are honey & vanilla (Don Julio 1942 is #1). In addition, I do not really like any bitter tastes. Any scotch whisky recommendations with these characteristics? Thanks!!!
heatmiser

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:16 am

I'm drinking a McKillops Clynelish 89 which is very richly honied but I'm not sure how typical it is for Clynelish as it's my 1st one from there.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:33 am

Balblair has nice honey flavour.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:52 am

Scotchio, you say "I'm drinking a ...Clynelish," present tense!

Drammit, man -it's 9.16 in the morning!!!!!!

P.S More notes on "Need Your Love" internet sccess on the other thread.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 am

It's not a literal glass in the hand comment, it's just one of the bottles currently open. I'm putting off house moving and financial restructuring arrangements/form filling because this is far more entertaining. It's tempting to take a dram when no work comes in but I know that along that pathway destitution and madness lie.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm think Balvenie 10yo.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Caledonians » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Just opened my bottle Aberlour 15yo Cuvée Marie d'Ecosse and it's got a very nice honey taste on the palate!
Caledonians

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:54 pm

I can taste honey in Glengoyne 17yo, and vanilla (custard, but I guess it’s the same thing) in Edradour 10yo, and I think both these are very good.

There’s honey flavours in Old Pulteney and in Scapa (which is also slightly vanilla-ish), but I don’t think either of those are very interesting malts. Of course, everybody's different, so even though I think they’re rather dull, someone else will come along and say they’re great ;)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:05 pm

The girl at my local Oddbins keeps refering to the OB scapa as Winny the Pooh's favourite whisky. I haven't tried it yet but the GM bottles I've had were briny spicy and vanillared but not especially honeyed
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm

bamber wrote:I'm think Balvenie 10yo.

I'd second this suggestion, or the Balvenie 15 if you want to splurge.

I found Highland Park 12 to be a fairly honeyed dram, but not much vanilla there IMHO.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:45 pm

Scotchio wrote:The girl at my local Oddbins keeps refering to the OB scapa as Winny the Pooh's favourite whisky. I haven't tried it yet but the GM bottles I've had were briny spicy and vanillared but not especially honeyed

Funny about Scapa. Some find it very honeyed, others not at all. I thought it tasted of fruit salad--not a drop of honey in my bottle!
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:15 pm

Now Mr t are you quite sure it didn't just taste of whisky ?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:00 pm

I was gonna say cookie dough....
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:15 pm

"Dough ! "
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:18 am

I’ve been lurking for a while and felt I should finally register, as I would also vote for the Balvenie 15yo, or any Balvenie, really. IMHO, every Balvenie I’ve tasted is all about honey and vanilla. Not a hint of bitterness. I just bought a bottle of the 15yo (after my wife gave me the go ahead, of course) at the duty free in Prescott, Ontario. Lovely stuff.
l'chaim

Re: Honey & Vanilla with no Bitterness

Postby Jan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 am

Welcome to the forums, I'chaim :D

Actually I think one should perhaps be cautious recommending the 15yo as honeyed. As it is single cask bottlings, their profile varies a little.

The only bottle I have owned was not honeyed, going more on fruits, pears, apples and such. But I think perhaps this was an exception to the general profile?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby l'chaim » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks Jan!

I suppose you may be right. This is the first bottle of the 15yo that I’ve bought, but I was so enthusiastic about it I couldn’t resist posting about it. Of course, I’ve been pretty enthusiastic about every whisky I’ve tried. My last bottle was my first Ardbeg 10, and I thought, “Wow, this is the best dram I’ve ever had!” Then I bought this Balvenie, obviously quite different from the Ardbeg, and thought, “Wow, this is the best dram I’ve ever had!”
l'chaim

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:37 am

As a general "regional" feature, the whiskies from Perthshire tend to be quite honeyed.

Try Edradour, Blair Athol, Dalwhinnie, and perhaps even Glenturret.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:33 pm

Well, I know I'll be beat to all he** and back for saying this but, The Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Reserve has a honey and vanilla palate. No bitterness, and it does also have a slight Glenfiddich typical pear taste to it. Many here aren't too fond of Glenfiddich in general. However, even those with palates too refined for Glenfiddich have enjoyed my Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Reserve. It's pretty reasonably priced, too.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:33 am

ScotchPalate wrote:Well, I know I'll be beat to all he** and back for saying this but, The Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Reserve has a honey and vanilla palate. No bitterness, and it does also have a slight Glenfiddich typical pear taste to it. Many here aren't too fond of Glenfiddich in general. However, even those with palates too refined for Glenfiddich have enjoyed my Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Reserve. It's pretty reasonably priced, too.

On the nail buddy,that is a truly rich honey and damn well priced to boot
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby heatmiser » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:13 pm

ScotchPalate - Thanks for the recommendation on the Glenfiddich 15 Solera! I had purchased a bottle of this a week ago at Hi Times for $29 (couldn't pass it up at that special price). I opened the bottle last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks again for the advice! I am going to purchase a few others that were recommended in this thread as well.
heatmiser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder