Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1977

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Ardbeg 1977

Postby Grass Snake » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:55 pm

How good is this really?

Is it worth what it costs?

Or are there better whiskys out there for the money?

Snake
Grass Snake

Postby corbuso » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:22 pm

It has been matter to much discussion.

Have a look at :
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... rdbeg+1977

and http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... rdbeg+1977

This should answer all your questions.

Corbuso
--------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Re: Ardbeg 1977

Postby Wave » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Grass Snake wrote:How good is this really?

Is it worth what it costs?

Or are there better whiskys out there for the money?

Snake

I consider it bottled heaven

The price I paid for my last 2 bottles was at a ridiculous sum of $75 apiece (about 38~39.00GBP) because they were the last 2 bottles at a small liquor store, close-out sale yanno. :wink: At the prices people are asking for them now I would be extremely hesitant since I can get excellent Port Ellen Annuals cheaper!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:33 am

To me, the 1977 is many things:

1. It's the best expression of Ardbeg
2. It's one of the best whiskies I've ever tasted, from any distillery
3. It's a perfect example of how peat, complexity, malt, spirit, and oak combine.

Yes, it is worth it.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 pm

What Admiral said.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Very very good, but not a favourite for me. Flawless, complex and perfectly integrated, but when I first tried it, it did not blow me away.

You know I think I actually prefer the new 1990 !! Sorry folks :oops:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:51 pm

I enjoyed a bottle of this when it originally came out,I had this ,the 1975 OB and the 10 on the go at the same time. The 75 was then peatiest earthiest whisky i have ever tasted,also quite dry, the 77 was a sweet fuller suppler more complex version of the 10 to me, better but not huge amounts of money better. They were early days in my interest in malts and I'm not sure i'd rate the current 10 as highly as the one from 6 years ago. In terms of overall balance I liked the original 17 yr old better. They're all good but I wouldn't pay more than £90 for the 77.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 pm

bamber wrote:Very very good, but not a favourite for me. Flawless, complex and perfectly integrated, but when I first tried it, it did not blow me away.

You know I think I actually prefer the new 1990 !! Sorry folks :oops:

I think I agree, though I've only had samples of both. The '77 didn't blow me away while I quite enjoy the Beist.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:02 pm

Scotchio wrote:I enjoyed a bottle of this when it originally came out,I had this ,the 1975 OB and the 10 on the go at the same time. The 75 was then peatiest earthiest whisky i have ever tasted,also quite dry, the 77 was a sweet fuller suppler more complex version of the 10 to me, better but not huge amounts of money better. They were early days in my interest in malts and I'm not sure i'd rate the current 10 as highly as the one from 6 years ago. In terms of overall balance I liked the original 17 yr old better. They're all good but I wouldn't pay more than £90 for the 77.

I love the peatiness of '75 Ardbeg, much prefer it to '77.

I really love the 17yo too and am glad to have a bottle of it open at the moment.

I still enjoy TEN but like you I'm enjoying it a little less of late. Still a top ranker overall.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:03 pm

although the 77 is getting more expensive by the day almost, when you look at it in comparision to the price the single cask stuff coming out since lvmh took over, its not that bad... the new uk 1975 cask - £450 a bottle i seen it for, lfw i think it was.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:04 pm

What has happened to the 1970s Ardbeg prices is a shame especially when you think that 5 years ago you could get the 75 for £40,77 for £55 and OMC 70s bottles for £70. I still have a few of these but I wish I'd picked up more!
Obviously the 70s bottles from the original maltings have that massive peat depth usually attributed to the fanless kilns. I wonder if the heavily peated distillate produced under the new owners will recapture the heights/ depths of those 70s bottles in 15 years time?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:07 pm

lets hope so, but in 15 years time, i think lvmh will have ardbeg way overpriced by then sadly...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:54 pm

I think the 1977 Ardbeg was flawless Ardbeg at its best. It costs a bundle today, for the reason it isn't available in stores any more. Sad, but this is what happens to things that are no longer readily available.

Would I pay £150 for a bottle and open it? No. I generally like to try whiskies of this price range in a bar if it is possible, one shot will allow me a taste without such an investment. If I buy a whisky for that kind of money, I am not buying it for drinking.

On the other hand, If I have purchased a whisky and its price goes up like this, I may open one and congratulate myself for making a good purchase when the stuff was available for a reasonable price.

I've got a few 1977's stashed away for that special day..or a week..
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Yes, it's good, and if you're an Ardbeg fan, it always nice to taste different expressions. When I first opened my bottle a few years back I was a bit let down, as whisky was still new to me, and I hadn't ventured out much from the Ardbeg Ten, and the '77 was quite soft compared to it. When I finally went back to it many months later, and many different whisky tastings later, I finally appreciated it, and I remember it as very milk chocolatey! Yes, it's good, get it if you can find it reasonable priced and your an Ardbeg fan.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder