Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Yet another new Bruichladdich!!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Yet another new Bruichladdich!!

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:08 pm

Another great sounding and interesting experimental Bruichladdich...
http://www.klwines.com/product.asp?sku=1024364
...especially if you know the wine and winery!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:38 pm

What's going on here , a Bruichladdich post that's been posted for at least 30 minutes and no humourous remark from everyone's favourite Bruichladdich fan ? Words fail me ..... and no press release to go with it either....... :roll:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:07 pm

I like K&L Wine Merchants (San Francisco, Ca), I've gotten some good buys from them in the past and they seem to get many of the newer whisky bottlings in before the rest of the country sees them. This new 'Laddie looks to be like another of K&L's own-cask offerings which also includes another bottling that was ACED at the Bruichladdich Single Malt Academy, a 1993 Mortlach 12 year old, Murray McDavid Bourbon/Guigal Cotes Rotie Syrah Cask.

>>>>>>
http://www.klwines.com/product.asp?sku=1023174

I'll probably end up getting both. :wink: :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:04 pm

This is quite interesting, I'd like to try a bottle, I have friends in the area for shipping. Good for Bruichladdich for wroking with their customers in a one to one fashion.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:13 pm

This is a great thread, along with the other discussions on "the Laddie." I do not have a great deal of experience with their whiskies; I think I have tried the 10, 15, and 17 only. Oh, and one indy (don't have my list here at the moment). I have found all good, none steller (but got very used to my 10year old, and was sad to see it go).

My general thoughts about the distillery is that its whiskies are a bit overpriced compared to other whiskies that I have liked as much. So, while it is good stuff, and I would welcome to try any new expression, I don't see myself buying a great deal of it at this point. I agree with other disussions that demand and the percpetion of value are key indicates in the priceing; the Laddie has done a good job of marketting thier products. And while I would love to try the PC5; I think I would rather spend the money on something else.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:23 pm

if you like the 10yo bruichladdich you better get a few bottles of it while you can, its supposed to be getting discontinued
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:41 pm

That's why he's sad to see it go. The new 12 is a worthy successor, though. And frankly, I think it is in all the one-off bottlings that so seem to annoy some where Bruichladdich really shine. There they are able to let the whisky be what it is, rather than trying to fit it into the standard profile.

(Oops...fear I will set off another wine-finishing tirade here....)
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Mr. T, no wining. :wink: I stocked up on few of the Bruichladdich 10's, I quite enjoyed it and will be happy to have a few bottles to enjoy in the future.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 pm

vitara7 wrote:if you like the 10yo bruichladdich you better get a few bottles of it while you can, its supposed to be getting discontinued

The reason it's getting discontinued is because the stocks left from the closing of Bruichladdich in 1993 is now up to 12~13 yo old. The 10yo will be back in about 4 to 5 years from now when the new spirit distilled from the reopening of Bruichladdich in 2001 reaches maturity. It may happen to the Ardbeg 10 for the same reason.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi Wave ,
your quite correct about the Laddie , they reckon they have about 4 years supplies of the 12yo , regarding the 10yo Ardbeg i think we'll be ok , Ardbeg were still producing in 1996 , Glenmorangie did do a limited amount of distilling in 1997 (25th June 2007 is party time , 10th anniversary of coming back online....) but were hampered by machinery going wrong so low stock and in 2008 we have the Glenmorangie distilled 10yo appearing . I'm sure the present 10yo will last till then.....

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:38 am

yeh wave, i hadent heard for deff or officialy that it was, but when yo do the numbers you can work it out foryourselfs, i mean, i didnt think bruichladdich would be the type of folk to overage there whisky like what was happening at benromach. the 15 and 18yo they had before it was used up was well over aged, but it was simply to get brand awareness of the product. but with bruichladdich, if there would be a penny more profit to be made not overaging there bottles, i didnt think they would.
i presume they are going for the 12yo as standard for the forseeable future?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:43 am

Thanks SOI, wasn't sure of the Ardbeg timeline.

I've read at the Bruichladdich website where they think they'll have about a 4 to 5 year supply of the 12yo (pre-1993). They'll either stretch this batch out till about 2013 or discontinue the "old" 12 for a couple of years till the "New post-2001" 12 can be bottled. Knowing Bruichladdich I'm betting on the latter! :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder