Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Port Ellen Query

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Port Ellen Query

Postby Rosebankfan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 am

Hi Folks - would appreciate your thoughts on the following;

I've just been given one of the recently released "Islay Collection" mini packs which consists of 5 x 20cl bottlings of some Islay classics - Caol Ila 12 & 18, Lagavulin 16 and 12CS and a 5th release Port Ellen - very nice pack indeed.

However, my query relates to the Port Ellen bottling which is labelled and described as 5th Release (25YO, 1979-2005). However, the strength is stated as 57.1%, whereas the strength on the full size 5th release bottling issued last year is 57.4%. I also wonder about the source, as the full size 5th release was limited to 5280 bottles - where has the spirit come from for these new minis ?. If it is not from the same casks used to produce the full size 5th release I feel this is a bit misleading as the mini is not identical to the full size bottling. Any thoughts ?.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:35 am

i never realised that they were diff strengths, i auto thought they were from the same casks and done at the same time or very close, but your right, if they are done from diff casks and as that was the first time they done a 20cl size one, can or should they really be calling it 5th release o that size?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 am

on loch fyne whiskies they have the 2006 version of this gift pack with the 6th release of port elen also being in a 20cl size, cant make out the abv on the bottle though...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:52 am

Sometimes certain whiskies get bottled at slightly different strengths in order to better fit into certain markets.

As the PE came in a boxed set with some other whiskies, it is the total alcoholic strength of the whole package that will determine the cost of the excise, duty, (taxes) and hence the retail price.

By dropping the strength of the PE component by a mere 0.3%, it is possible that the overall strength of the package now comes in underneath a certain threshold that reduces the total tax in the target market.

A possible reason?

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder