Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1st Editions VS 2nd Editions?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

1st Editions VS 2nd Editions?

Postby Wendy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:05 pm

Hello Everyone,
This may be a dumb question, but while searching the Whisky Exchange website, I noticed that the Hazelburn 8 yo 46% abv First Edition was priced at 55.72 pounds, but the Hazelburn 8 yo 46% abv 2nd edition was priced at 27.23 pounds. Why would the 1st edition be (roughly) double the price? Is it because the first edition has inaugural significance or is there more to it?

Thanks,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:50 pm

It could partly be because it's now no longer available?? Or that it was more limited than this 2nd edition? And maybe cause it's already being auctioned off for more?
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:53 pm

there arent that many of the first edition hazelburn kicking around, (unless you lok up my loft that is..) thats why the price is as it is. also, there were 1700 bottles of each of the three labels in the first release - 5100 in total, where as the 2nd release there is one label and 6000 bottles of the stuff and its not yet sold out, once stocks of it goes down, the price will go up as with everything else.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:36 am

Ya, vitara7?? You think the Hazelburn 2nd edition will be something to collect? I know the 1st edition is. How many other editions will they have? Or are they gonna do a few editions of each bottling age??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:40 am

nope, i dont think it will be worth collecting. i mean, there going to be doing an output of 6000 bottles a year of the stuff and from what i was told, its all going to look like the second release.
the first edition was diffrent, the fact that it was the first edition and the fuss over them doing three diffrent labels emtnyou has to get the set, only adding to the collectablity of the stuff.

i do think the price of the second edition will go up on the likes of the whiskyexchange and that is if the packaging chages in anyway, and as it wouldnt be able to be replaced, as they sold out he'd shove up the price, supply and demand and all that crap.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:41 am

just to add, i dont even own a bottle of the 2nd edition hazelburn, i do however own a few sets of the first edition.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:40 am

Of course, price is only half the story.

More importantly, how does the 2nd Edition taste, compared with the 1st Ed?

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:02 am

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Vitara7, I appreciated the information that you provided regarding the 1st and 2nd editions of Hazelburn and I understand the fuss over First Editions. But, like Admiral, I am also wondering how different the taste is between the two editions. I am not a collector, so in comparison and at face value, the 2nd edition looks like the better deal. Would there be that much difference between the taste of a 1st Edition vs a 2nd Edition?

...I am really not trying to be complicated. :wink:

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:18 am

I talked to the people at springbank earlier this year and their comment to me was to wait for the 2nd edition if I just wanted to drink it because it is the same as the 1st just one label.

I ended up getting 2 sets of the first edition because I found them for $65.00 US a bottle and couldn't pass up buying all they had but thats the collector in me.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi Ibacha,
That is very helpful information. Thank you. I am happy that the "collector in you" was able to buy extra's at such a sweet deal.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:50 pm

I call myself a collector but I don't think I could ever sell most of the bottles I have they are jsut too good, So I'm going to call myself a horder right now. I'm building my horde for later consumption with friends and family.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Ltd Release?

Postby Wendy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Hello,
After checking out the Tyrconnell new releases on the Celtic Whiskey Shop website, I noticed that production was limited to 300 bottles each.

Generally speaking, does this mean that this is the maximum amount of the first and only release or the maximum of the first release with more being produced for future release. It is not that I don't understand the authenticity and value of first release bottlings, but is the distillery telling me that limited edition means that this particular whisky is not being produced after these 300 bottles are sold.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:48 pm

On the Hazelburns, the first edition was a vatting of 8yo stocks which had been matured in ex- borbon casks, ex fresh sherry butts, ex- refill sherry butts and ex Port pipes, the second edition was from ex borboun casks. The first ediytion was quite full bodied and rich, it is a decent dram if a little unbalanced however I found the second edition to be slighly harsh and lacking depth, could have matured a while longer.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 pm

Thank you Dazzler. That is quite interesting information about the difference between the first and second edition of the Hazelburn 8 yo. I had the opportunity at the Victoria Whisky Festival to sample the 8 yo. My first impression was that it was harsh which surprised me. My reaction caught me off guard because I hadn't heard it described that way and was expecting my first impression to be different. I am wondering now if I sampled the second edition. Maybe Lawrence could confirm either way. None-the-less, it is all rather interesting.

Cheers,
Wendy

(P.S. If anyone has any ideas about my Tyrconnell question, that would be great, too.)
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Wendy wrote:Thank you Dazzler. That is quite interesting information about the difference between the first and second edition of the Hazelburn 8 yo. I had the opportunity at the Victoria Whisky Festival to sample the 8 yo. My first impression was that it was harsh which surprised me. My reaction caught me off guard because I hadn't heard it described that way and was expecting my first impression to be different. I am wondering now if I sampled the second edition. Maybe Lawrence could confirm either way. None-the-less, it is all rather interesting.

Cheers,
Wendy

(P.S. If anyone has any ideas about my Tyrconnell question, that would be great, too.)

Hi Wendy, I think the version available at the Festival this year was the 2nd. Peter Currie of Springbank led a tasting for the VSMC (http://www.victoriasinglemaltclub.com) for us in November 2006 to help celebrate our 10th Anniversary and he pourer the H2nd Edition and I don't remember it being harsh, I think I sroced it the highest of the evening. Oh well, that's what makes a market!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder