Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Disintegrating Cork?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Disintegrating Cork?

Postby Jdiddy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:56 am

Ok, I know this has been spoken about before but I wanted to get an opinion. I recently purchased a Signatory Manachmore that is a bit rare and when I purchasdd, I noticed a piece of what looked like cork in the bottom. When I opened, there was definitely some desolving of the cork and it was very damp. Now, evertime I open the bottle, more and more cork goes into the bottle. I know the obvious answer is to put a new cork in but I do not have one and part of what I like about Signatory are the great looking bottles they have. Would look a bit dumb with another cork in it. This has only happened one other time to me and it was with Dalwhinnie and that bottle has so much cork in it I can't even drink it. Waste of a 15 year old. So I ask, is this reason to return the Manachmore to the store or am I being over sensitive? Does cork in the whisky harm the whisky? I have only opened the bottle twice and there is already quite the sediment in the bottle. I paid $70 for the bottle and just feel a bit irritated because of this. I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
Jdiddy

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Put another cork in it until the bottle is empty and then replace it with the original cork. At this point you want to save the remaining whisky regardless of how it looks, IMHO.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Cork and taste...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:55 am

Jdiddy:
Relax, cork won't affect the taste, as I've had this happen myself with another bottle or two. The cork broke in half, so I shoved the bottom half into the bottle and consumed the contents. Lawrence gives good advice, about another cork until it's done, then put in the old cork. I certainly wouldn't take it back.
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:19 am

I might. Cork in your whisky might be okay if you drink it up quickly, but there has certainly been plenty of discussion here about not laying your bottles down, simply to avoid contact between liquid and cork. I suspect this bottle was on its side for some time. Does it taste right to you? Can you exchange it for another bottle of same? If I had any doubt, and could exchange it, I would. You paid enough for it, it should be right.

Musky, Lawrence's advice is meant specifically to get the crumbling cork out of contact with the whisky, which is indeed good advice if Jdiddy decides to keep the bottle.

Jdiddy, if you must keep it, you might consider decanting it. You could filter it through a coarse filter, rinse and dry the bottle, and return it thereto, if you want.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder