Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

First Trip to Scotland...

General chat and talk about whisky.

First Trip to Scotland...

Postby Rankles » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:17 am

And how fantastic :D

Edinburgh is one the most interesting cities I've ever been to. This isn't so much about culture, this is all about the whisky ;)

Did the scotch whisky heritage centre tour - pretty interesting if a little dated, but for 6.50 with a free nosing glass you can't complain. They also give you a £2 voucher at the shop but ererythings 8 quid more than necessary anyway. Some good stuff there though, Hghland Park 30 being the most intersting I saw but also some vintage Ardbegs running into the thousands.

Royal Mile Whiskies was another highlight, so fantastic deals - convinced the girlfriend to get me a standard Glenlivet for Christmas, also bought a miniature of the Glenlivet 15 french oak to try.

Not so much chance for trying out much whisky, just had a couple doubles of Balvenie 12 and Macallan 10 at The Mitre. We were too busy for tasting what with all the tourist traps :p

Anyone else love this city? Definitely heading back to Scotland next year, maybe tour a couple of distilleries since even though my girlfriend can't drink whisky, she's intersted in it's culture enough to tag along.
Rankles

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:05 am

What! You had fun in Edinburgh? Is that even possible?

As you can see, we quite enjoyed the Bow Bar. :oops:

Where do you live? Did you go anywhere else in Scotland? Would you like suggestions? Oh don't get us started....

Party hats courtesy Icelandic Highway Dept.
Deactivated Member

Postby Rankles » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm in England, suggestions about other great Scottish places to visit would be welcome yeah, I hear Aberlour is a great tour.
Rankles

Postby Wave » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 pm

Rankles wrote:I'm in England, suggestions about other great Scottish places to visit would be welcome yeah, I hear Aberlour is a great tour.

It is, I've been on the Aberlour distillery tour twice (First time I hand-filled a Sherry Casked and I just had to go back again for the hand-filled Bourbon Casked)! Other excellent distilleries to tour in that area are Stathisla in Keith (The most beautiful distillery in all of Scotland), Glen Grant in Rothes (see the gardens complete with whisky safes), Glenfiddich in Dufftown (FREE TOUR!).
Also farther south the Tullibardine distillery in Blackford has a Connoisseur Tour like that at Aberlour, I haven't been on this one yet myself, saving it for my next adventure to Scotland. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:55 pm

Wave wrote:
Rankles wrote:I'm in England, suggestions about other great Scottish places to visit would be welcome yeah, I hear Aberlour is a great tour.

It is, I've been on the Aberlour distillery tour twice (First time I hand-filled a Sherry Casked and I just had to go back again for the hand-filled Bourbon Casked)! Other excellent distilleries to tour in that area are Stathisla in Keith (The most beautiful distillery in all of Scotland), Glen Grant in Rothes (see the gardens complete with whisky safes), Glenfiddich in Dufftown (FREE TOUR!).
Also farther south the Tullibardine distillery in Blackford has a Connoisseur Tour like that at Aberlour, I haven't been on this one yet myself, saving it for my next adventure to Scotland. :wink:

Cheers!

i did the aberlour tour in october, just me and t'wife

most enjoyable £7.50 ive ever spent, even got t'wife to hand fill a cask!

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby The Fachan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:31 am

Rankles,

If you get to Aberlour try and make sure Dennis does the tour, if its Balvenie look out for Bob McPherson or if its Strathisla you want Tommy Smith.
All men who have been around whisky for a long time and worth spending time with.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 am

Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder