Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

REDBREAST

All your whisky related questions answered here.

REDBREAST

Postby badams » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 am

Do you think Redbreast(the heart of Jameson) is as good as the best 12 year old scotches from the Highlands?

I cant find a Highland scotch I like as well as this gem.

Waddha ewe tink?
badams

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:29 am

I think both Redbreasts are just as good - and even better than many if not most scottish single malts. Redbreast 12/15 are among the absolute top whiskies I've tried.

Welcome to the forum!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:42 am

I would like second Mr. Fjeld's thoughts on Redbreast. It's absolutely stunning whiskey.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:52 am

It's very different to a Highland or any other scotch, so it is hard to compare. In my own opinion, of course, it is better than just about anything available. I wish Irish Distillers would produce more of its type.
Aidan

Postby Ize » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:11 am

So far, the Readbreast 12yo has been the most complex (in positive sense) whiskey (and whisky) I have tasted and I like it a lot. But I have same thoughts as Aidan, it is hard to compare with scotchs.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby JAL3 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:51 pm

I love the Redbreast 12, but I was a bit surprised to find that lovely olive oil-like mouthfeel really only present in the first dram...it seemed to evaporate by the time I poured the second, or at least wasn't nearly as pronounced.
JAL3

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Yes this is indeed a hard question. Can you compare this to scotch? Well all I can say is in a word yes. At the end of the day you can only like what you like and if you like one over than another then it is fair to say that you think it's better.

I personally think Redbreast is one of the worlds best whiskies but I suppose I am biased :lol:

Irish blends are better than most scotch blends also.

But I have to admit that Single Malt Scotch as a section of whisky is untouchable.
irishwhiskeychaser

Sorry, fellas

Postby badams » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:15 am

Guess old men arent hip to the computer/internet world and I posted this incorrectly as a poll.

But, this old yanker been drinking whiskey before you youngsters found hashish and quaaludes!

Anyway I find it easy to compare scotch with irish with rye with japanese. Its either good first few tastes or its good 1/2 way through the bottle for the night.

Kinda like the old bull and the young bull on the hill looking at all the hiefers. The young bull says "Look at all the hiefers down there, lets run down and get us one. The old bull sez, no son " lets just walk down there and have 'em all!

Redbreast 15 was/is a classic, but Redbreast 12 beats most of the Highland scotches by a mile. Craggenmore can hold its own for the complexity and intrigue. Wish Redbreast 12 was available at a higher proof because you dont want to add water. Somewhere around 55 to 70 its outstanding.

Although not on the label Im sure everyone knows this is the heart of Jamesons blended whiskeys. I wish Powers would give us the pot still of their great whiskey, as Powers Gold Label used to be pure pot still and competition for the House of Jameson. Powers show us what your made of, Connemara is trying to compete.
badams

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:10 pm

Personally I do not see the need to make comparisons as such - its all apples and pears, whatever suits your palate personally, go for it.

There are plenty of fine 8 - 12yo Scottish malts, or indeed 15yo. Most have very little in common with the whiskey in question, Redbreast.

Redbreast whiskeys are to my taste palate perhaps the most enjoyable irish tipple, along with a few Bushmills releases. They are unquestionably Irish in their character, and I adore that orange marmalade flavour that hits late in the taste. The 15yo is a more powerful of the two and at 46% benefits from added water in my opinion, allowing it to properly open up on the palate.

As to the Scottish whisky, fine 12yo malts to my liking include Balvenie, Highland Park, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Glenfarclas..the list goes on. Needless to say, I am happy to enjoy both fine Irish whiskeys and Scottish whiskies!
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder