Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tamdhu?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tamdhu?

Postby bjorn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm considering buying a bottle, but reluctant after buying some disappointing Tomatin last year. However I am convinced that good inexpensive whiskies do exist. I thought Speyburn was decent and Glen Garioch 10 was better. So any thoughts on the Tamdhu?

thanks,
bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:02 am

A friend of mine had the current 10 yr old or is it NAS? but it took him a long time to get through it, he has about 40 open bottles and the tamdu just did not stand out. It's a reasonable toffeeish speysider from what I remember but nothing more.Balvenie Founders,Braeval 10, Tomintoul 10 may be worth considering amongst others.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:28 am

I found Balvenie 10 Founders very easy to drink. Honey with lots of good flavors backing it up.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: Tamdhu?

Postby corbuso » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:52 am

bjorn wrote:I'm considering buying a bottle, but reluctant after buying some disappointing Tomatin last year. However I am convinced that good inexpensive whiskies do exist. I thought Speyburn was decent and Glen Garioch 10 was better. So any thoughts on the Tamdhu?

thanks,
bjorn

The Tamdhu no age specified (NAS) is now the current version and it is a big bodied, grassy and earthy whisky, in the same style at the Tomatin 10. Glen Garioch is not bad and Speyburn I don't know.

Hope it helps

Corbuso
----------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:29 pm

bjorn wrote:I'm considering buying a bottle, but reluctant after buying some disappointing Tomatin last year. However I am convinced that good inexpensive whiskies do exist. I thought Speyburn was decent and Glen Garioch 10 was better. So any thoughts on the Tamdhu?

thanks,
bjorn

I find it good but the right glass helps quite a bit, any ballon or something with a bowl seems to help it along a lot. Which Tomatin disappointed you?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:17 pm

ive said it before and ill say it again, for cheap and chearful and id say the best value whisky is the balblair 16yo. and right now its about £21.99. whisch is only about £3 or £4 more expensive than the 10yo tamdhu.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:00 am

Depending on your location, I should suggest an Independent bottling of Tamdhu. Ian MacLeod has some excellent expressions, usually finished in wine barrels. The Chieftains Choice range. They are modestly priced IMHO. As for the official bottlings, I prefer the 18Y old over the 25 and the standard. Yet the 18Y old is offcourse more expencive.
If you are looking for quality for litlle money, my own personal advice would be Aberlour 10.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby bjorn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 am

Lawrence wrote:I find it good but the right glass helps quite a bit, any ballon or something with a bowl seems to help it along a lot. Which Tomatin disappointed you?

It was the standard 12 yr. I thought it had a very pleasant nose, but it just never tasted right. Makes me wish I had taken some notes so I could be more specific. For the record I drank it out of the GlenCairn that i usually use.

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby pete_d » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:07 pm

I had a bottle of the Tamdhu NAS. I enjoyed it, but to me it was hardly remarkable, even at the price. I thought it had a very short finish, although a lack of any lingering burn may be a good thing to you. It had a charming peaty character without being overly earthy to me, and a nice nose, but I wouldn't put it above the Glenlivet 12, which to me has slightly more character.

I'm trying the Glen Moray Elgin Classic right now. this is now my go-to, cheap-as-chips daily pour at that budget.

PD
pete_d

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:42 pm

I have tamdhu 18 yo and its good .
It`s not expensive and it`s worth trying. :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:55 am

I was at a tasting recently where the Tamdhu no-age-statement (NAS) was served as a blind.

It scored quite highly amongst the group, and we were all very surprised to learn it was Tamdhu. I think the NAS bottling has improved tremendously, and I'm pretty certain it's due to some good sherry casks being added to the vatting. Yes, I recommend it.

I also recommend most of the other Tamdhu offerings. The 25yo is a very rich and sweet dram, and I've had at least three or four SMWS bottlings of Tamdhu that were all very enjoyable, particularly the bottlings from sherry casks.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Thomas H. » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Like some other said before me, I find it a nice easy-drinking dram, nothing to complicated, light but with enough nose and palate to keep you going. Great for a dram during the week when watching a movie or perhaps in the summer. Good value too.
Thomas H.

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder