Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wild Turkey Rye

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Wild Turkey Rye

Wild Turkey Rye

Postby badams » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:19 am

is Wild Turkey Rye as good as the best Highland scotches?

---------------------
dont be caught up in all the hype, good whisky at half the price
badams

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:26 am

What a peculiar question!
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:36 am

Wild Turkey Rye is damn fine whisky. I certainly enjoy drinking it as much as I do some great Highland scotches. But the styles are so different that I don't think I would compare them side by side.

I wish I could find Wild Turkey Rye in Alberta.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:02 am

You might talk me into that viewpoint here -- but, generally, I think you'll have better response to it here:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/index.php

Wild Turkey rye, however, IS a very good value for the money. There are several better ryes, though more expensive (except for Rittenhouse BIB).
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:24 pm

Wild Turkey Rye is certainly worth a try. It is not too expensive in most markets. In the end, only you can decide. However, as Tim said, Rittenhouse BIB is probably both cheaper and better. If you can get it.

Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:11 am

If we talk ryes, then we're talking Sazerac. The 18 year Sazerac is amazing, and the baby at 6years is just behind it. Even Jim Beam has a reasonable rye version....quite good for the price, but the Sazeracs stand in a class to themselves IMHO. :mrgreen:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:55 am

Yes, Sazerac 18 is great. I have only had 1 50ml sample, but I can say that hands down it is by far the best (of the two) rye whiskies I've tried.

Good news for Pennsylvanians, it looks like PALCB is starting to stock this one. So I should be able to get my hands on a whole bottle before too long.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:39 am

81 Rye Wild Turkey Rye (50.5%, OB, circa 2006). December 20th, 2006. Brought this bottle to a dinner with friends, and gave it as a gift. Marcia and Andy, great people! So, since I had it at someone else's house, I did not make notes. Yet, I really like this whisky a lot. I think I am starting to really "get" American whisky, and certainly enjoy rye a good deal. Tons of peach, spicy rye, and butterscotch on the palate, just yum. More full bodied than the Jim Beam Rye. Bigger, complex. Very good stuff, and for the price ($18), forget about it.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:20 pm

Badmonkey wrote:Wild Turkey Rye is damn fine whisky. I certainly enjoy drinking it as much as I do some great Highland scotches. But the styles are so different that I don't think I would compare them side by side.

I agree. It's certainly a reasonably regular frink for me, and I do enjoy it as much as any other whiskey style. That said, hard to compare to anything else.

I also agree that the Sazerac's are something special, but wouldn't necessarily put them that far above the WT Rye. Just diifferent, in the same way as I'd enjoy a Lagavulin and a Bushmills, boh single malts but very very differenk whiskies.

Now, I wouldn't be a greatly experienced in Rye, or Bourbon for that matter, so when trying a new rye I tend to use the WT Rye at a starting point for comparison.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:03 am

I think it is pretty pointless comparing malts to American whiskey. Personally I like both about the same (drinking a Van Winkle Rye as I type) but I've given up trying to convince bourbon drinkers to enjoy Scotch and vie versa. It just does my head in:

Scotch drinker on bourbon: Ooooh it's too sweet, too woody tastes like Jack Daniel's.

Bourbon drinker on Scotch: It tastes like an old ashtray, it's too harsh bla bla bla.

Not sure where that came from. I'm off to bed.

Oh yeh - WT rye. I would say it is not as good as the 'best Highland Scotches', but it's ok. If I was going to compare it to a Scotch I'd say Ben Nevis 10yo OB in that it is pretty good and quirky, with a very distinctive taste. If you offered me a bottle of either I'd huff an puff trying to work it out.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:41 am

bamber wrote:I think it is pretty pointless comparing malts to American whiskey. Personally I like both about the same (drinking a Van Winkle Rye as I type) but I've given up trying to convince bourbon drinkers to enjoy Scotch and vie versa. It just does my head in:

Scotch drinker on bourbon: Ooooh it's too sweet, too woody tastes like Jack Daniel's.

Bourbon drinker on Scotch: It tastes like an old ashtray, it's too harsh bla bla bla.

I'm not sure either, but I agree with the above 100% (except I'm not drinking a VW).

BTW there is something about the way the initial question was posed that cracks me up every time I read it. It's like it's setting up an ad campaign or something.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby IainB » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 am

bamber wrote:I think it is pretty pointless comparing malts to American whiskey. Personally I like both about the same (drinking a Van Winkle Rye as I type) but I've given up trying to convince bourbon drinkers to enjoy Scotch and vie versa. It just does my head in:

Oh yeh - WT rye. I would say it is not as good as the 'best Highland Scotches', but it's ok. If I was going to compare it to a Scotch I'd say Ben Nevis 10yo OB in that it is pretty good and quirky, with a very distinctive taste. If you offered me a bottle of either I'd huff an puff trying to work it out.

Well I started on Irish and I love both. And it's a good point to say the WT Rye is maybe not on a par with the best scotches. But then, as was said above, you need to compare like with like. I would put the likes of the Sazerac 18, Thomas H. Handy uncut and my most recent addition, Rittenhouse 21 on a par with similarly aged or cark strength products. Different but what you might call "parity of esteem".
IainB
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:31 am

shoganai wrote:BTW there is something about the way the initial question was posed that cracks me up every time I read it. It's like it's setting up an ad campaign or something.

It really does :) The posters signature is pretty snappy too.

IainB wrote:Well I started on Irish and I love both. And it's a good point to say the WT Rye is maybe not on a par with the best scotches. But then, as was said above, you need to compare like with like. I would put the likes of the Sazerac 18, Thomas H. Handy uncut and my most recent addition, Rittenhouse 21 on a par with similarly aged or cark strength products. Different but what you might call "parity of esteem".

and I would agree that then they are on a par - although I've not tried the Handy yet :(
bamber
Double Gold Member

Re: Wild Turkey Rye

Postby Gov » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I had a 101 at WhiskyFest on Friday and really liked it. I am not sure if it was the Rye or not. What are the differences?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby dcb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I went through a bottle of WT Rye 101 pretty quick a few months ago. It's rye flavor is less bold than the Sazeracs, which is sometimes what I prefer. Good stuff, I'd buy it again, especially for the under $20 price and 101 proof.
dcb

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:22 pm

dcb wrote:I went through a bottle of WT Rye 101 pretty quick a few months ago. It's rye flavor is less bold than the Sazeracs, which is sometimes what I prefer. Good stuff, I'd buy it again, especially for the under $20 price and 101 proof.

From what I can tell there is a 101 and a 101 rye. Are they both considered rye, just the other rye more rye? Did you get those ryes? :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Bob O. » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Gov wrote:
dcb wrote:I went through a bottle of WT Rye 101 pretty quick a few months ago. It's rye flavor is less bold than the Sazeracs, which is sometimes what I prefer. Good stuff, I'd buy it again, especially for the under $20 price and 101 proof.

From what I can tell there is a 101 and a 101 rye. Are they both considered rye, just the other rye more rye? Did you get those ryes? :lol:

One is a Bourbon and the other a Rye. Their Bourbon does have Rye in their mashbill.
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Bob O. wrote:
Gov wrote:

One is a Bourbon and the other a Rye. Their Bourbon does have Rye in their mashbill.

Thanks, I am clueless when it comes to kentucky whiskey. One thing I noticed is that I can only tolerate one dram of the 101. I think it is because it is very sweet and rich. It is like a dessert whiskey I guess.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Bob O. » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 pm

Gov wrote: Thanks, I am clueless when it comes to kentucky whiskey. One thing I noticed is that I can only tolerate one dram of the 101. I think it is because it is very sweet and rich. It is like a dessert whiskey I guess.

Yeah, Bourbon has a different flavor profile then Scotch Whisky. This is why you have some people who prefer one over the other. Then there are others like me who appreciate them both for what they are. Just depends on my mood. :D
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby suffolkwhisky » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:59 pm

Sorry to be pedantic but Wild Turkey Rye isn't up with the very best American whiskies so it cannot compare to the very best Scotches. However, it is a very pleasant drink which personally I love.
suffolkwhisky

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:19 pm

suffolkwhisky wrote:Sorry to be pedantic but Wild Turkey Rye isn't up with the very best American whiskies so it cannot compare to the very best Scotches. However, it is a very pleasant drink which personally I love.
Gov
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Wild Turkey Rye

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder