Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Single Cask Christmas 2006

General chat and talk about whisky.

Ardbeg Single Cask Christmas 2006

Postby Whiskana » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:48 am

The new, very nice "cheapish" offering from Ardbeg... :roll:

Still time to order it for Christmas! Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:54 am

Only £399 a bottle

Gimme two!! :roll:

:lol: Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: Ardbeg Single Cask Christmas 2006

Postby corbuso » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:38 am

Whiskana wrote:The new, very nice "cheapish" offering from Ardbeg... :roll:

Still time to order it for Christmas! Image

From £250 to £399 in one year, the price increase is quite significant. If only my salary would follow that trend.

By comparison, the 1975 Sherry cask for Italy this Spring was sold for €250!

No more comments, but don't expect me to buy one. I give up

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:42 am

Only 20 Ardbeg TENs? :x
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:24 pm

Yeah noticed it.
I must confess to be a big ardbeg lover but to that price I won't buy anymore.I always bought when the price was around 270 pounds(and was not that cheap) but as rightfully noticed before in the thread 130 pounds more in few months have no justifications.
I had the 1974 single cask for LMDW for 339 euros and it's a stunning bottle (and also got the italian one for 250 as Corbuso said).I won't pay around 600 euros for a 19xx single cask.
I hope that it will rest unsold for a long time...
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:01 pm

kildalton wrote:Yeah noticed it.
I must confess to be a big ardbeg lover but to that price I won't buy anymore.I always bought when the price was around 270 pounds(and was not that cheap) but as rightfully noticed before in the thread 130 pounds more in few months have no justifications.
I had the 1974 single cask for LMDW for 339 euros and it's a stunning bottle (and also got the italian one for 250 as Corbuso said).I won't pay around 600 euros for a 19xx single cask.
I hope that it will rest unsold for a long time...

Oooohh Kildalton I fear you might incur the wrath of the more ardent Ardbeg fans with such statements :lol: how could you :lol:

... but I concur(or is it I just can't justify spending that much on any bottle :lol: ).
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ize » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Seems that Ardbeg has become new Lagavulin what comes to whisky trends ... and prices.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 pm

What jokers those ardbeg fellows are,you could have 2 Brora 30s for that price and still feel ripped off (just half as much!)
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:59 pm

Yes, gosh, a bit steep for me too. If they're only selling through the website, I wonder how long it will take to sell all "...522 of these rare and smoky sweet bottles available..."?????
Di Blasi

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 pm

bargain 8)
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 pm

£299 to £399 in 6months... the feis ils bottling was limited to only 173 bottles and that was only £299... i thought at the time it was dear, but now it seams like it was bargin of the year... surly these prices cant continue, there even going to price the collectors out the market...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 pm

I love Arbeg, and gladly I am conent with 10yo and ooggies for my collection. Great whisky, Ardbeg, but I am not sure that, aside from these two (at least in the US), it offers much bang for the buck points.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:00 am

Wonder what it tastes like?
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:04 am

I'll never find out, but I won't whine about it, either. Ardbeg are hardly the only distillers who produce bottles I can't afford. It only needs one justification: they'll sell it.

It's all you rabid Ardbeggars who have driven up the price, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:43 am

Actually Mr. TH is quite right: It is not unusual for single casks of this age to be priced in the 3-400 pound range.

I just checked TWE and found a 32yo single cask balvenie at £349. Yet nobody remarks on that at all. Wonder what it is about Ardbeg....?

But yeah - I find it over-expensive too. So I won't buy it. It is as simple as that.

Can't really blame them for want to profit of their product themselves - rather than giving it to the ebayers.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:23 am

I'd say that what You're saying it's quite right(Mr.T and Jan)but I'd like to expose my personal thought on the matter.
Yes if they sell it they're right and there're around expensive bottles as well but I just consider this:
what disappoints me it's the try to make Ardbeg (or other brands)almost luxury items.
Well everyone knows that a luxury bag costs so much more than a normal one but that's a luxury item!
I pay for something that satisfies my wish to look or to feel more important besides the look and the quality itself.
(so You pay for something beyond the quality or the value of the item itself)
But with food and wine and whisky i pay for quality and after for product rarity.
And I'd say more for quality because if a whisky it's very rare but not good I won't spend much money on it.
So we're looking at incredible price rise but the quality?
I'm not sure that this single cask will be better than other I bought in the past.
As told in other threads no one said that the 1965 was something out of this world.
So I remember that everyone has a great power in his hands:
the right to spend his money and I won't spend blind my money just because it's an Ardbeg or a Balvenie or something else.

I have no intentions to deny the right of everyone to sell his goods at the price he wants but plese forgive me if I think I won't play that game.

By the way I've nothing against Ardbeg but I think we're talking so much about it because in the last months it's been the whisky that more has increased the price for it's premium bottles.

(And luckily for us the arigh nam baist has come out with an onest price)
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:33 am

And You are equally right, Kildalton - the price does not say much about the quality and taste of the whisky.

LMVH is clearly aiming at placing the older SC Ardbeg in the super-premium category, which makes them out of my range.

Too bad - but I would be far more worried if I saw this happening to the core range.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:32 pm

LVHM are clearly doing as you say there jan, and with the margaux from glenmorangie, there going to be doing the same there. but the question is what about glen moray? i dont think they could tuen that into a premuim brand like the rest of the lvmh stable of brands. i can see glen moray going two ways. 1 punted. 2. most of their stuff going to blends, although the 2nd one would go against the whole big thing that kicked of with lvmh when they first took over at glenmorangie plc and found they were doing a lot of supermarket own label stuff to fill capacity at broxburn.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Jan wrote:
Can't really blame them for want to profit of their product themselves - rather than giving it to the ebayers.

Once again Jan you've hit the nail firmly and squarely on the head !
Being an avid Ardbeg fan i'm pretty pissed off that i can't get to try all these wonderful single cask bottlings but i have had the honour of try a few in the past , but thats life !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:21 pm

I think Jan was right in saying they want to take the profit rather than giving it to the ebayers. In a way I'm glad that they do take the profit for themselves. At least that way the future for ardbeg is assured. As for myself I have to think twice and sometimes three times about buying anything over £100.
les taylor

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder