Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1977

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Ardbeg 1977

Postby ckennedy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Can anyone/someone tell me of this bottle??

Jim Murray's bible states it as heaven! Jackson states it as so - so! I was looking into getting something old of ardbegs.. reasoning on the 1977 - thats the year I got out of Highschool! That and the fact JIm Murray rated it is one of the best years of the "type" of lot!

ps: I know it's hard to find - but I have a swiss connection that can send me some.. and I trust giving him the $$$ and not some webpage I do not know!
ckennedy

Postby vitara7 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:03 pm

if you can get hold of it, buy buy buy..... just look at the prices of the new single casks coming out. the 77 seams a bargin at todays prices.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:54 pm

When it was released it went for +/- 120€. At that price point I would say it is the best Ardbeg in terms of price/quality. I have seen prices of 200€ for it now though. It's quality is totally outstanding. I have posted an extensive tasting note of it a while back, you should be able to find it trough the search option.
If you are not turned off by the price your swiss friend asks, I can only suggest to buy it. And open it.
It is only bottle I have ever saved (I bought 3 initially) waiting for an occasion to open it, over two months our first son will be born and that's perfect for my last bottle of the '77.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:58 pm

200 Euros? I'd buy it for that price!
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Whiskana » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 am

Ardbeg 1977 went for about 140 euros on eBay recently...

I have plenty so I don't have to buy at the moment but it was a reasonable price, I guess. Personally, I got mine for about 100 euros a year or so ago. Prices have gone up since then quickly... :roll:

P.S. Try the forum search first...
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:54 pm

They were selling for about 105 euros a bottle less than a year ago and the buzz was out then so my guess is alot of people grabbed it up at that low price and you will see it appear from time to time at different prices. Some people are reasonable in what they look to mark it up others arn't. For example just look at the Macallan Seasonal bottles and the young oogie. They were going for 3 time the original price and the distilleries wern't even sold out yet.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:59 am

We discussed this here very recently (and plenty of times in the past), but I'm happy to repeat my opinion that Ardbeg 1977 is simply one of the best bottlings of whisky ever. Rarely does a bottling come along where everything is so wonderfully complex, complete, and balanced.

Yes, it's worth the price.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder