Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wild Geese - Rare Irish Whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Wendy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:01 am

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could comment about this new Irish Whiskey release at the LCBO. Wild Geese - Rare Irish Whiskey , 43% abv, priced at $69.95; it is a blend that is distilled at the Cooley Distillery.

With regards to the history behind the whiskies name, the following is cited on the LCBO website: "This fine whiskey is named for a legendary group of Irish noblemen and soldiers called the Wild Geese. After Ireland was conquered in 1692, these men chose to follow their king into exile." -- This is a partial quote.

Thank you,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi there,

Wendy I know it is kind of late but I only now stumbled over the following and subsequently on this post of yours.

http://www.wildgeese-irishwhiskey.com/

http://www.tfwa.com/duty_free/uploads/m ... 7apr06.pdf

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi there,

THE WILD GEESE RARE IRISH WHISKEY (Avalon Group)
CSPC #13623, 700 mL, $69.95
Bright gold whiskey with a fruity corn syrup, spiced nose. Big, smooth with a slightly sweet personality.
Elegant cinnamon and nutmeg spice finish replays the initial aromas in the finish. (88)

from http://www.vintageassessments.com/pn/pn_61014.html

Greetings
kallaskander

Oops!
These tasting notes may be quoted as long as the author
and this publication (Vintage Assessments) is properly
credited along with the link for contacting us
(patricianoonan@vintageassessments.com) is included.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:50 am

Hello Kallaskander,
Your timing couldn't be more perfect! Thank you for posting the information. Coincidentally, I have met Patricia Noonan on a couple of occasions, although I don't think she would remember me. I didn't know until checking out the site that she actually posted tasting notes.

Since posting my message in December, I had been hoping that as we approached St.Patrick's Day (March 17th), one of the Toronto LCBO Tasting Towers would make it available to be tasted. Well, I have not been disappointed because last Sunday, I was able to sample Wild Geese at the Summerhill site.

I am a fan of Irish Whiskey and wondered how this blend would stand up to some of my favourites. I must say it really wasn't very exciting and not worth the price tag of $70.15. (The price went up a bit since December :shock: )

The nose is really low-key; I had to work too hard at this and ended up noting CEREAL-like. Taste: floral, biscuit, peppery. The finish was long and peppery. Overall, not impressed, but very grateful that the Tasting Tower provided the chance for me to sample it.

Kind regards, Kallaskander.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:57 am

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi John,
The history of the Wild Geese is very interesting. The links are great. I truly wish I could say that the taste of the whisky was as exciting and memorable as this group of battling soldiers were. It is good to hear about the Wild Geese preservation project.
Thank you,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi Wendy

I think Hennessy of Hennessy Congnac was one of the Wild Geese. You can also get a Cooley whiskey called Hennessy na Geanna - Na Geanna are Geese, I think.

John
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Yes Aidan you are correct ... The Hennessey Na Geanna whiskey was made for the Hennessey Company and is a reflection of Hennessey being one of the Wild Geese.

Hi Wendy... I never tasted this bottling eventhough I have 2 different versions as I did not reckon it to be any good in the first place :roll:

You may also be interested in the 'Flight of the Earls'

http://www.flightoftheearls.ie/history.html

Google will probably throw much much more
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder