Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 & Ardbeg 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 10 & Ardbeg 10

Postby Whiskey Rock n Roller » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Well folks,

Shelled out for the 'froyg 10 on friday afternoon and was absolutely blown away. Found the peat smoke and heather totally different to anything i'd tasted before. Bought an Ardbeg 10 on sat afternoon but found it quite hot and spirity, maybe the 46% abv overwhelmed me?

I also purchased two XL5 wine nosing glasses, and while I could really pick out the notes of both whiskies, I found they made the spirit taste much more alcoholic and spirity than tumblers. Any thoughts?

On a side note, does anyone notice a hint of banana in the Laphroaig 10's nosem or is it just me?
Whiskey Rock n Roller

Curious

Postby Jesse » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:55 pm

I'm not fond of either the tumblers or the snifters; I've always tried to find a middle-ground. My mother has these cute little wine glasses that only hold about 2.5 ounces, and the rim isn't tulip-shaped, it just goes straight up, so it holds the aromas in without burning my nose-hairs. (No room for ice, though.)

I haven't had Laphroig or Ardbeg, but I plan on trying one of them next year (my New Year's Resolution), as I love the Lagavulin 12 and 16, and people have reccomened these to me...Do they compare at all to Lag?

Mahalo!
Jesse

Re: Curious

Postby EdipisReks » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:59 pm

Jesse wrote:.Do they compare at all to Lag?

i find Laphroaig and Ardbeg to be much peatier and smokier than Lagavulin 16. i think Lagavulin's taste profile is fairly similar to Ardbeg's, but more complex and less explosive. Laphroaig is much more medicinal than Ardbeg or Lagavulin, in my opinion. they are all very good.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Jesse » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:29 am

Shelled out for the 'froyg 10 on friday afternoon and was absolutely blown away.

Laphroaig is much more medicinal than Ardbeg or Lagavulin, in my opinion.

Well, I'm sold. :)
Outside of Johnnie Walker's Labels and Diageo's Classic Malts, I haven't had much else. I plan on buying only single malts this year, and Islay sounds like a good place to start.

Lagavulin 16 never fails to deliver that velvety smoke; I had been bragging on it for a couple years now to friends before purchasing a new bottle. The latest batch is just as distinctive, as soon as you open it up, too...and somehow it drinks like its 40% abv.
I can't wait for them to try it out.

Thanks guys
Jesse

Postby EdipisReks » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:46 am

islay is a very good place, to start and finish :)
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:56 am

Well, I'm blaming all of you if I go broke: I went out today and bought Laphroig 10. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Cask Strength, but I decided on the regular 10 year. I was relieved to see its almost half the price of Lag 16.

I actually tried a dram of Compass Box's Asyla first, which my father picked up...it's a symphony of sweet notes, but too bourbony for me.

He and I later switched up to the Laphroig. The seaweed notes hit you the moment you uncork it. (I imagine that Lagavulin, at 10 years aging, would taste like this, maybe less medicinal though. They both have that creamy, chewy pasta taste.) The iodine comes in waves, coming back even after the pepper finish. It's a hit, and my dad is kicking himself for getting the Asyla.

I hope starting on Islay won't leave me bored with the Lowlands, but I figure my palate could use some education before I get to the mellower malts.

Excellent recommendation!
Jesse

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder