Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Green Spot: Where to Buy in the US

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Green Spot: Where to Buy in the US

Postby seano » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:34 am

Anyone know where to buy Green Spot in the US? I'm in NYC and I haven't found a store that stocks it (or has heard of it), and was wondering if anyone has bought it here, either in a store or online.

Sean O.
seano

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:45 am

I don't believe it is available here. Neither Park Ave nor Binny's show it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:02 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't believe it is available here. Neither Park Ave nor Binny's show it.

Does anyone know why?
It seems to me that it would do quite well in the U.S. --its not like distibutors are allergic to making money!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:54 am

Ok I've gotta ask, what is Green Spot?

-= Never mind, I found the Irish stuff at Royal Mile =- :?

Cheers!
Last edited by Wave on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:54 am

Only 6000 bottles a year are produced and since it is a cheaper (relativly speaking) whiskey and to sell in the US you need to change the bottling (75cl vs 70cl) it is most likely that they just don't see a profit being made by selling it in the US market.

Just a guess.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 am

It's made for a shop in Dublin (Mitchell's), so it doesn't really make it much further than that. Of course, you can get it here and there, but I'd say it would be hard to get it in the U.S.

It's a pure pot still whiskey, one of only two made year by year. Wonderful stuff.

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:45 pm

It harks back to the old days of wine/whiskey merchants and Mitchells are the only ones left that have maintained their own brand.

check this link out.

http://www.mitchellandson.com/history_gs.html
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lbacha » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:08 pm

It would be nice if they made the other colors as well, I've been told that there were various ages at one time.

I've loved Greenspot since the first time I stepped into an irish pub and ordered a jameson's and the owner recommended greenspot in it's place.
I was hooked.

The Jameson's 15 yr pots stil is a pretty decent dram as well.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby seano » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I may just order it online via http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com (unless someone has a better site to use).

Sean O.
seano

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:00 pm

I think it's cheaper at http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com. Also, you don't have to pay the duty, I don't think.

Here's the exact link - http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/pr ... =298029068
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Duty will be up to local authorities, payable on receipt. I guess this is a bit of a crapshoot--I haven't heard of anyone in the US being charged duty on a bottle, but it's certainly possible; I've been charged duty on other goods posted from the UK (notably my tweed jacket--shoulda just worn it). Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall duty is in the range of 3%. This may in part be why LFW marks the customs form "Collector's malt--no commercial value". That, and, I think, the hope that whatever official views the package won't know what "collector's malt" means.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 pm

I've ordered quite a few bottels from Royal Mile and have had no problems with it. I even asked customs about it and they said unless they feel you are trying to bring it in for commercial reasons it isn't worth their time to have you pay duty on it.

I've carried as many as 15 bottles home from europe and claimed them and they just let me through.

Royal Mile is VAt free as well the only problem is shipping will get you. for one bottle of Green Spot you will pay as much for shipping as you pay for the bottle. I ussually try to order enough bottles that the reduced VAT offsets the shipping.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:59 pm

I've had Green Spot delivered from the Celtic Whiskey Shop to NYC a couple of times.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby seano » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Just to close this thread out, I placed an order online at The Celtic Whiskey Shop on 27-Dec for two bottles of Green Spot. Sure, the shipping costs equaled the cost of one bottle, but having never tried Green Spot, I didn't want to place a large order and end up not liking it. Order arrived on 12-Jan in perfect condition. No problems at all with my order. To those thinking of ordering from Celtic Whisky Shop, I highly recommend it. The only minor problem was, while I received an email confirmation of my order and an email indicating an account had been created for me on the website, there's nowhere I saw on the site for you to login and manage your online account, and I didn't receive an email indicating the order had shipped. (Not a big deal, as this is probably just a liquor store that accepts online orders.) Other than that, no problems at all and I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again (although I wasn't blown away by Green Spot, I'm glad I've got a couple bottles).

Sean O.
seano

Postby heatmiser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:07 am

seano wrote:although I wasn't blown away by Green Spot, I'm glad I've got a couple bottles

How does it compare to the Redbreast 12?
heatmiser

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 pm

I think if you keep at the Green Spot, it will grow on you. For some,it is an acquired taste.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't think I want a green spot growing on me. :shock:
Deactivated Member

Postby seano » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:38 pm

I think the Redbreast is much better. I did a taste test of the Green Spot against Tullamore Dew (it's what I had available) and Tullamore Dew is much smoother. Like I said, I'm glad I tried it, but it's not something I'd pay to have shipped to the States.

Sean O
seano

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 pm

Or a red breast, either!
Deactivated Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Aidan wrote:It's made for a shop in Dublin (Mitchell's), so it doesn't really make it much further than that. Of course, you can get it here and there, but I'd say it would be hard to get it in the U.S.

It's a pure pot still whiskey, one of only two made year by year. Wonderful stuff.

In London last week I saw a Magilligan pure pot still irish whiskey. Know anything about it?
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:03 am

Hi Jobi

Yes, it's not pure pot still for one, even though it says it on the label! It's a malt whiskey from Cooley. I have not tried it though.
Aidan

Postby Jobi » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Aidan wrote:Hi Jobi

Yes, it's not pure pot still for one, even though it says it on the label! It's a malt whiskey from Cooley. I have not tried it though.

Thanks. I came really close to buying a bottle based on the "pure pot still" claim. I guess deceptive marketing works.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:44 pm

Have to watch that "Pure Pot Still" statement it shows up on alot of labels I think Conemmara had it on the label at one point. The reason they say this is because the Single malts are made 100% in a pot still. Pot still in irish whisky lexicon is a type of whisky that mixes multiple grains instead of just barley which gives it that unique honey like sweetness that pot still whisky has.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:50 am

Yes, that's true, although it really referrs to whiskey made from a mash containing malted and unmalted barley - so today, there are no other grains uses.

In days gone by, they used a very small proportion of rye and oats.
Aidan

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder