Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

LCBO's Balvenie 10yr old = Balvenie 10yr Founder's Reserve?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

LCBO's Balvenie 10yr old = Balvenie 10yr Founder's Reserve?

Postby ROMANO » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:07 am

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a question. I am recently looking to purchase a honey/smooth whisky to drink during the holiday season.
I've been searching this forum looking for a whisky with more of a honey/vanilla taste and on the sweeter side. The Balvenie and GLENFIDDICH SOLERA seems to be mentioned the most.

I am planning to make a visit to my local LCBO before friday to purchase one of the above unless I get recommended something else.However, I see people mention the Balvenie 10yr "Founder's Reserve" and was wondering if the Balvenie 10 yr old "without the Founder's reserve" sold at the LCBO for $45 CDN the same thing?

Any help or recommendation will be much appreciated.
ROMANO

Postby JAL3 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:18 am

Hi Romano, yes it is -- it was also my first ever bottle of malt whisky too! The 10-year-old Balblair available through the LCBO is also very nicely honeyed as well, to my rather inexperienced palate.
JAL3

Re: LCBO's Balvenie 10yr old = Balvenie 10yr Founder's Reser

Postby Frodo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:01 am

ROMANO wrote:I've been searching this forum looking for a whisky with more of a honey/vanilla taste and on the sweeter side. The Balvenie and GLENFIDDICH SOLERA seems to be mentioned the most.

However, I see people mention the Balvenie 10yr "Founder's Reserve" and was wondering if the Balvenie 10 yr old "without the Founder's reserve" sold at the LCBO for $45 CDN the same thing?

Any help or recommendation will be much appreciated.

1) If honey smoothness is what you want, I'd recommend the Johnny Walker Gold, but at $90, it's at a higher price point than the ones you were going to get. Glenfiddich 15 , and Balvenie 10 are pretty good in matching your stated wants, but so are Balvenie 12 and Glenfiddich 18.

2) Yes the Balvenie 10 is the "Founder's Reserve"...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Balvenie

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:49 pm

If its is a smooth taste and sweet finish you want The Balvenie 12yr Doublewood had always been a favourite in this house.

It is also a good way to ease non SM drinkers into the habit.
I converted die hard cognac drinkers with this. :lol:

I find it is worth the extra few dollars. You might have to check the LCBO website to find it though. Not a lot of the outlets carry it.
Enjoy
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder