Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg guaranteed 10yrs old

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Ardbeg guaranteed 10yrs old

Postby scotch4ever » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:37 pm

I was enjoying a nice full glass of Ardbeg 10yr with my father this morning (we both agreed it was noon somewhere) and he noticed that the label stated "guaranteed ten years old". Does anyone know if this bottle only contains 10yr old Ardbeg? If so I do not believe there are many single malts actually containg one age of casks.

Either way I need to hang more lights on the tree.

Cheers,
scotch4ever

Postby vitara7 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:48 pm

the curret 10yo from ardbeg does have the odd cask of 11yo etc in there when vatted together, the "guaranteed ten years old" part means the youngest minimum age of any whisky in the bottle is 10year old. ardbeg doesnt tend to overage its 10yo nor do many distilleries now, but if the cask is weak or poor, then they'll just shove it in with the 10yo or that.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Or is this an older bottling scotch4ever??
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby scotch4ever » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Or is this an older bottling scotch4ever??

You've got it in one! It could be older. I guess, than the saving is passed on to me that I am drinking older whisky. Are there any other "single malts" (not single cask malts) that guarantee age on their labels?

I may have to drive to the specialty store on thursday to look at the whisky labels here in PA to check. Better yet, go into my basement to the whisky shelf and check out my own stock.

Cheers,
scotch4ever

Postby The Fachan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:35 pm

Scotch4ever,

The age statement on a bottle of Scotch is the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle. I believe this is part of both UK and EU law, quite sure someone will be ablt clarify if the legal thing is not correct.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:45 pm

Yes, whenever any age is stated it is a guarantee of minimum age by law.

Therefore, any whisky stating an age is a guarantee of that age.
I guess this particular instance is just Ardbeg marketing speak to make it sound like a good deal.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:03 pm

Single cask bottelings will be from the year that it states, and only that year, as it is from one cask. Usually, you get the exact date and how many bottles the cask filled.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:19 am

scotch4ever wrote:

You've got it in one! It could be older. I guess, than the saving is passed on to me that I am drinking older whisky. Are there any other "single malts" (not single cask malts) that guarantee age on their labels?

I may have to drive to the specialty store on thursday to look at the whisky labels here in PA to check. Better yet, go into my basement to the whisky shelf and check out my own stock.

Cheers,

Maybe if you search some online shops you can see which bottle is similar to the one you're drinking from. What's the alcohol strength on it? What other details can you give us? Can you take a foto to show us?
Di Blasi

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:09 am

I believe it is an old Allied bottling of Ardbeg, when their label used to say "Guaranteed 10 years old".

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:09 am

scotch4ever wrote:

You've got it in one! It could be older. I guess, than the saving is passed on to me that I am drinking older whisky.

Well, it's still only 10yo whisky (at least), but an older bottling of Ardbeg is an interesting thing indeed. Many here would no doubt like to compare that to current product.

As noted, the word "guaranteed" is nothing but a bit of redundant hype, not unlike the usual "finest rarest old whisky" and such. Any age statement is a guarantee.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Well, I woke up this morning realizing the current bottling of Ardbeg Ten is "guaranteed Ten years old!" I have a foto of it on my phone, sorry about trying to confuse you all!!
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder