Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dalmore 21yo

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : The Dalmore 21 Years Old

Dalmore 21yo

Postby sgsoloplayer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:10 am

Hey guys, I just picked up some Aberlour A'bunadh batch 16 and while I was there the salesman recommended me the Dalmore 21yo. I always check these forums before I buy anything just to see if a certain scotch is generally liked or disliked (although I know this is subjective), but I found very little about the Dalmore 21yo. I'm wondering if any of you have tried it, what did you think about it. Is it worth the extra money over the Dalmore 12yo? Thanks for your opinions, I value them greatly as an amateur scotch taster. :)
sgsoloplayer

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:18 am

ive had a bottle to be opened for a wee while now and ive never got round to it, just been opening up other stuff instead, i too would be interested on folks thoughts on this one? its prob going to be ok, but why settle for ok if i have somthing thats very good or even great.
(great would be dependant of finances of that month :( )
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am

ive had a bottle to be opened for a wee while now and ive never got round to it, just been opening up other stuff instead, i too would be interested on folks thoughts on this one? its prob going to be ok, but why settle for ok if i have somthing thats very good or even great.
(great would be dependant of finances of that month :( )
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:32 am

Here is my review/narrative, just had this last week. My scale:75=average. 80=reccomendable. I actaully have the 12yo a point higher.

Score 79 Sm Dalmore 21 (43%,OB) December 12. At Cutter's Cigar bar. Going out to a poetry reading; I have not been out in a while by myself. It feels good. Celebrate the end of the work semester, this is the only one they have that I have not tried. Nose: Sherry and burnt orange. A bit muted, a dash of water did not bring it out much. Pleasant, but not very complex. Mouth: More sherry, wow, this is what you call a sherry monster. I am not sure that sherry monsters are my thing, in truth. It is elegant, and tasty, but there is little else here to balance out the sherry. Finish: Warm, medium, a touch of dry oak. Tasty, but not my cup of tea. I like the 12 more. it is more complex, has more character. I wish there was some peat smoke or malt here. Yummy, but I am left wanting a bit more.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:49 am

I tried it at a whisky bar. Granted, it is likely that these bottles sit around and oxidize for years before getting finished, but this one tasted very tired to me. Lots of bubble gum flavor.

On the brighter side it was quite heathery and fruity and my gf loved it. I would agree with the above score.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby sgsoloplayer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:10 am

Great, thanks for the opinions, it will definitely help me save some money toward other whiskies. I think I'll pick up a Cragganmore 12 or Bruichladdich WMD II while I'm at the store :)
sgsoloplayer

Re: Dalmore 21yo

Postby ResIpsa539 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:14 am

Is this expression exclusively sherry matured?
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : The Dalmore 21 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder